• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They believe they get Matthews for 9-10m, and both Marner and Nylander 6-8m

I can see Matthews taking something that starts with a 10, and as long as they're thinking the 7-8.5 range and not the 6-7 range for the other two, that's not overly optimistic.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Good poll, can see why Rantanen is winning given the year he's had. Their seasons are probably closer than they look given Marner having a slow start and bouncing around lines, plus Rantanen playing with one of the best players in the NHL with near double the PP time

They're both making the teams that drafted them happy

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Marner's been the best player on his line this entire year and arguably since entering the league, he's even seen stints on the 4th line. You can mock our "Babcock holds the players back" argument all you want but it is a fact that Marner has had multiple stints on the 4th line in his career for unjustifiable reasons imo.

He gets significantly less PP time, less ice time, and plays with inferior players.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I give you size and age. But skill, defensive play, and hockey IQ? Highly debatable.

Also point production warrants a discussion, as even a career AHL player would likely have Rantanen's points or more playing on MacKinnons wing. Marner has to carry a whole team full of them.

Im confused, or at least hoping this is sarcasm.

Are you saying Landeskog and Rantanen are less than AHL players? Since a career AHL player would "likely" have more points?

In the same paragraph are you calling Marleau and Kadri AHL players too since Marner is "carrying" them?

Anyways, for now this is clearly Rantanen.

Reactions: cgf

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014

Are you saying Landeskog and Rantanen are less than AHL players? Since a career AHL player would "likely" have more points?

In the same paragraph are you calling Marleau and Kadri AHL players too since Marner is "carrying" them?

Well, it seems that Landeskog isnt even a AHL player by Leafs posters.. More like EHCL player :D

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo

That poster is a Finn who goes around shitting on all Finnish players for no reason. Ignore him.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Marner's been the best player on his line this entire year and arguably since entering the league, he's even seen stints on the 4th line. You can mock our "Babcock holds the players back" argument all you want but it is a fact that Marner has had multiple stints on the 4th line in his career for unjustifiable reasons imo.

He gets significantly less PP time, less ice time, and plays with inferior players.
Unless you watch and follow the leafs on a regular basis then you won't understand this. The TSN panel was talking about this very fact a month ago. What they said was that A Babcock led team will not have players competing for the scoring title because of the way Babs coaches and limits ice time.
That's why I find these comparison threads so funny. Player A can score fewer points then player B and can still be better then player B.

Reactions: Hoverhand

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Unless you watch and follow the leafs on a regular basis then you won't understand this. The TSN panel was talking about this very fact a month ago. What they said was that A Babcock led team will not have players competing for the scoring title because of the way Babs coaches and limits ice time.
That's why I find these comparison threads so funny. Player A can score fewer points then player B and can still be better then player B.
The other factor too is how Babcock changed the teams style of play completely. After the California road trip where they got dominated he switched the team to more of a dump and chase style so that they could be able to play different ways and handle playing against heavy forecheck teams. Since he tightened things up the team has generated a lot less scoring chances and shots overall compared to last year although he has loosened the leash of late. This has impacted the point totals of just about everyone on the team. Rielly has really outperformed himself from last year as he's gotten legit PP time, while JVR has been a bit better. Marner is playing the best hockey of his career and has developed into a strong 2 way player, however due to his slow start his point totals won't be drastically better than last year (but still notable improvement). Matthews was doing as expected before the injuries. Aside from those guys, the returning players have all been about or taken a bit of a step back in favour of an overall better team game.

member 262271

I voted for Marner, however the way I see it Leafs fans are happy with him and Avalanche fans are happy with Rantanen. So why don't we leave it at that.
This for all comparisons, but instead it'll be a shit show like usual.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I imagine you avoided the Rantanen vs Laine thread with this thinking. You know, 77>68.

Rantanen has 77 points, and Leon Draisaitl now makes 8.5M a year because he was a passenger to a much better player too.

I don't see Laine in the title of this thread do you? BTW I made my choice in that one and posted it in the right thread. Not this one to derail it like you are attempting to.

member 262271

I don't see Laine in the title of this thread do you? BTW I made my choice in that one and posted it in the right thread. Not this one to derail it like you are attempting to.
LOL you're doing it again, fellow thread derailer accuses someone else of derailing. :popcorn:

Reactions: Apotheosis

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
LOL you're doing it again, fellow thread derailer accuses someone else of derailing. :popcorn:

Wrong again, look at the post I replied to. Never mentioned Laine until that poster did. So I will respond when someone makes up something false. BTW as for derailing you doing a great job of that yourself here? Improve your reading comprehension skills before commenting.

As for this poll. It's right on with how Rantanen has blossomed this year. 73% in his favour.

member 262271

Wrong again, look at what I replied to. Never mentioned Laine until that poster did. So I will respond when someone makes up something false. BTW as for derailing you doing a great job of that yourself here? Improve your reading comprehension skills before commenting.
You don't need to mention Laine - we know already. I just find it funny how you criticize people for things you constantly do yourself, keep on being amusing and perhaps i'll brush up on some reading school.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You don't need to mention Laine - we know already. I just find it funny how you criticize people for things you constantly do yourself, keep on being amusing and perhaps i'll brush up on some reading school.
Thread is not about me. 2nd time today you are doing this. You want me to use the report button? I don't want to make extra work for the mods, so let's get back to the thread, or more accurately you do. I know I was.

member 262271

Thread is not about me. 2nd time today you are doing this. You want me to use the report button? I don't want to make extra work for the mods, so let's get back to the thread, or more accurately you do. I know I was.
If it bothers you so much, feel free. I just call things like I see them, your bias is pretty hard to ignore. You are right though, back to the topic at hand.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
because it'll prove if he's actually amazing and not just mooching off mackinnon
Yeah except he's not a mooch, he complements him very nicely.

Landeskog has 56 points and plays on the same line. And he's no slouch. I'd even argue Landeskog has 'mooched' more points off MacKinnon than Rantanen has. And he has 21 less points than Rants

member 262271

Yeah except he's not a mooch, he complements him very nicely.

Landeskog has 56 points and plays on the same line. And he's no slouch. I'd even argue Landeskog has 'mooched' more points off MacKinnon than Rantanen has. And he has 21 less points than Rants
I think some people would like to see Rantanen drive his own line, but it seems to be a perfect fit for him where he is. I don't really see a scenario where that line is broken up. Either way it's been a damn good line for the Avs.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
because it'll prove if he's actually amazing and not just mooching off mackinnon

Being the only av to deliver when mack was injured...after almost carrying his AHL team to the playoffs with arguably the best teenage season in AHL history, and leading the avs in goals (which we know are sacred) as a rookie...while currently having a 21 point lead over the third guy on their line doesn't prove he's not just mooching off MacKinnon?

If it was so easy to mooch of MacKinnon then why doesn't Landeskog, why don't the other lines produce suddenly as much when MacK is double-shifted? Why is it so difficult to accept that when two excellent players love each other very much, beautiful things can happen?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If it bothers you so much, feel free. I just call things like I see them, your bias is pretty hard to ignore. You are right though, back to the topic at hand.

You think people voting Rantanen in this poll are biased? Based on what? You do know he has been the Avs second best player this season behind arguably the best player this season. He his 3 point shy of 80 pts with 11 games to play. You playing the bias card? On what grounds would anyone pick Marner here?

Cotton

May 13, 2013

I don’t go into a thread and break up the flow of conversation to derail it, I merely take part in the derailment that’s already occurred, so i’m as at fault as anyone else that takes part in it. Just like you.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think some people would like to see Rantanen drive his own line, but it seems to be a perfect fit for him where he is. I don't really see a scenario where that line is broken up. Either way it's been a damn good line for the Avs.

Oh there's avs fans who'd like to see Mikko drive his own line as well, because he's had to limit his game next to the demon MacK has become by spending less time on the puck and taking less shots. But we just don't have that kind of depth right now. If Chia wants to hook us up with Draisaitl & Jost keeps coming on the way he has been in 2018, then I'd certainly be down to see how things would look if Jost joined MacKinnon & Landeskog with Mikko & Leon teaming up to drive our second scoring line.

But at the moment our second line is Nieto - Soderberg - Comeau, and they play a shutdown role that lets us have an offensive third line with some mix of the college kids & Andrighetto. So, for now, we ride or die by that top line and can't afford for it to be anything less than unstoppable.

member 262271

You think people voting Rantanen in this poll are biased? Based on what? You do know he has been the Avs second best player this season behind arguably the best player this season. He his 3 point shy of 80 pts with 11 games to play. You playing the bias card? On what grounds would anyone pick Marner here?
I meant your bias. That was a good attempt to get on topic though i'll give you that. I think those that pick Rantanen have good grounds to do so. I also believe it's closer than people think here - the main thought I have and have mentioned is can Rantanen drive a line like Marner can.

Reactions: bionic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad