Rantanen Vs Marner

Who do you take going forward?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
I'm gonna pick rantanen because I'm a homer but this is probably a lot closer than alot of avs fan would like to admit

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I'd call it a wash for now. Provorov and Rantanen were the two guys I wanted us to trade down for in 2015.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Is there even one logical reason to pick Marner over Rantanen? Skill? No. Size? No. Defensive play? No. Hockey IQ? No. Age? No.

What then?

Reactions: Scrantonicity 2

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Avs fan here that voted Rants. That said, I'd love to have Marner on our team. I have the feeling that him and MacK would light up the league like no other. This is close IMO.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Avs fan here that voted Rants. That said, I'd love to have Marner on our team. I have the feeling that him and MacK would light up the league like no other. This is close IMO.
yes.. Rantanen has Mac to play with. Would like to see Marner with Matthews.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
There are times when I would like to see Marner play on the same line with Matthews. However Marner has shown he can score goals and produce points without him, so it's not the end of the world.
I'm not saying that :) but i bet, their points would go up.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Yep, bunch of subjective stuff such as statistics and height.

I give you size and age. But skill, defensive play, and hockey IQ? Highly debatable.

Also point production warrants a discussion, as even a career AHL player would likely have Rantanen's points or more playing on MacKinnons wing. Marner has to carry a whole team full of them.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
I give you size and age. But skill, defensive play, and hockey IQ? Highly debatable.

Also point production warrants a discussion, as even a career AHL player would likely have Rantanen's points or more playing on MacKinnons wing. Marner has to carry a whole team full of them.
Rantanen was the best goal scorer as a rookie on his team last season. Right now Landeskog has managed to score 52 points with MacKinnon. Rantanen and MacK benefit from each other and it's not like you can put anyone there and he scores a crazy amount of points. Rantanen's development was expected and he has played consistent even when MacK was injured.

Marner wins Rantanen in skills and probably in hockey IQ. But as you said it's highly debatable.

Reactions: Spilot23

Narow

Nov 11, 2016

Honestly hagged you are the most pessimistic guy around here when it comes to finnish players. Last year you said that laine likely wouldnt get even 5 points more (about 50 games into the season) then went on a streak to reach ppg untill games 61. Now you are saying even an ahl player would have rantanens numbers next to mackinnon...you do realize rants is the first nhl player to post such numbers next to mackinnon????

Why are you putting down finnish players so much ?

The only way your reasoning works here is if you consider rantanen an ahl player as he was ppg+ in ahl ^^

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Are you going to do a poll for every Finnish forward versus a Leaf?

Is there even one logical reason to pick Marner over Rantanen? Skill? No. Size? No. Defensive play? No. Hockey IQ? No. Age? No.

What then?

And lol @ Rantanen is more "skilled" than Marner. Rantanen is a good freaking hockey player, no doubt, but if he had Marner's hands, edgework, and hockey IQ, he'd be the best winger in the league. Go ahead and vote for Rantanen if you want, it makes sense to vote for a guy with 15 more points. But at least give the guys a fair shake out. Marner is a play driving winger who relies on his skills, creativity and IQ to go ppg over the last 40 games. No doubt that Rantanen is also a very good play driver with excellent skills and IQ of his own, but come on.

Post some stats if you're going to talk about defensive game. Marner's defensive game is fine and he is elite at takeaways. I am sure Rantanen is also fine defensively.

Someone picking Rantanen and making their case that doesn't want to sound like a goof will probably make their case around production, and size/power game. With 15 more points in two less games played, Rantanen has a pretty wicked head start here. It will be pointed out that Marner has gone ppg for the last 40+ games, so come prepared with some stats about Rantanen over a similar time period and be ready to field those linemate questions. Mackinnon is a hart candidate (and has my vote), how has Rantanen's production been without him? You know he's gonna get compared to Bozak. Talk about the things that Rantanen can do, i.e. power game, that Marner simply cannot. Talk about how Rantanen has improved from his 38 point effort last year and what is different about him this year. Doubling his production has to have come from within, because you know we're all thinking about Mackinnon here. Answer some of these questions instead of trying to convince us that Rantanen is more skilled than the most skilled player on the 6th place team in the league.

Reactions: 1specter

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Are you going to do a poll for every Finnish forward versus a Leaf?

And lol @ Rantanen is more "skilled" than Marner. Rantanen is a good freaking hockey player, no doubt, but if he had Marner's hands, edgework, and hockey IQ, he'd be the best winger in the league. Go ahead and vote for Rantanen if you want, it makes sense to vote for a guy with 15 more points. But at least give the guys a fair shake out. Marner is a play driving winger who relies on his skills, creativity and IQ to go ppg over the last 40 games. No doubt that Rantanen is also a very good play driver with excellent skills and IQ of his own, but come on.

Post some stats if you're going to talk about defensive game. Marner's defensive game is fine and he is elite at takeaways. I am sure Rantanen is also fine defensively.

Someone picking Rantanen and making their case that doesn't want to sound like a goof will probably make their case around production, and size/power game. With 15 more points in two less games played, Rantanen has a pretty wicked head start here. It will be pointed out that Marner has gone ppg for the last 40+ games, so come prepared with some stats about Rantanen over a similar time period and be ready to field those linemate questions. Mackinnon is a hart candidate (and has my vote), how has Rantanen's production been without him? You know he's gonna get compared to Bozak. Talk about the things that Rantanen can do, i.e. power game, that Marner simply cannot. Talk about how Rantanen has improved from his 38 point effort last year and what is different about him this year. Doubling his production has to have come from within, because you know we're all thinking about Mackinnon here. Answer some of these questions instead of trying to convince us that Rantanen is more skilled than the most skilled player on the 6th place team in the league.
-Rantanen did extreme well, while Mackinnon were injured.

-Rantanen were Avs leading scorer last year.. (You know that Avs scored total of 166 goals last year.. leafs scored ~80 more)

How's Leafs narrative for Nylander being clearly better than Rantanen going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->