Rantanen Vs Marner

Who do you take going forward?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Unless you watch and follow the leafs on a regular basis then you won't understand this. The TSN panel was talking about this very fact a month ago. What they said was that A Babcock led team will not have players competing for the scoring title because of the way Babs coaches and limits ice time.
That's why I find these comparison threads so funny. Player A can score fewer points then player B and can still be better then player B.

I'm not contesting your point too much, but just wondering. Has Babs changed his style recently? Cause I do remember Datsyuk and Z finishing pretty high in the scoring for several times. Even 37 year old Shanahan scored 81 points in Babcocks team.

I think you guys are way overstating the Babcock effect. I'm not saying it doesn't have some amount of effect, but it's not nearly as much as some of you guys make it out to be.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
It's Rantanen. Marner is fine but this is still Rantanen. I don't get to see Aho much, so I hesitate with that one. Marner is extremely good but he just isn't in the same tier as Mikko is.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I was surprised to see Marner is 5th in points. He's doing extremely well.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Marner is very good but he’s not better than Rantanen in any facet of the game.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I like how Marner has been compared to just about every young player in the game on this site, but the one poll from last season that's bumped is against one of three players in the league (Rantanen, Mackinnon, McDavid) with more points than him. What a coincidence.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I rate Rantanens vision, passing and IQ as better than Marners, there’s a reason he’s leading the league in assists. In terms of skating Marner is shiftier but Rantanen is so strong on his skates and is surprisingly quick.

Rantanen's playmaking based on passing, vision, IQ and in this case strength on his skates has long been under the radar. Here was a goal by Mackinnon last night courtesy Rantanen's playmaking . I would hope it will dispel that bad narrative that he is a passenger on Mackinnon's line narrative. Just elite.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Why is it laughable? Rantanen is superior in every facet of the game.
Sure, to those that have bias or haven't watched 1 full leafs game.

I've watched avs and leafs games this season, heck my friend is an avs fan. He himself agrees Marner>= Rantanen. Marner is one of the best defensive forwards on our team so to say stuff like he has no skill or defense is pretty laughable.

I think both players are in the same tier and probably equal. I personally think marner is more skillful with playmaking and better defensively, but overall they're quite similiar.

Reactions: The List Of Jericho

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Sure, to those that have bias or haven't watched 1 full leafs game.

I've watched avs and leafs games this season, heck my friend is an avs fan. He himself agrees Marner>= Rantanen. Marner is one of the best defensive forwards on our team so to say stuff like he has no skill or defense is pretty laughable.

I think both players are in the same tier and probably equal. I personally think marner is more skillful with playmaking and better defensively, but overall they're quite similiar.
If your friend is saying Marner >= Rantanen, clearly he can't be an Avs fan if he thinks that or you're making him watch too many Leafs game that he forget to watch Avs games.. Even Rantanen has been better than Mack so far this season IMO.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Mitch Marner is both my favourite Leaf and Hockey Player.

He's so exciting to watch with his evasive moves, skills in tight spaces and his ability to see a pass that not everyone does.

I haven't seen anywhere near enough of Rantanen to pass comment. I remember we were one of only a couple of teams to talk to him in his draft year, so I imagine if Marner was off the board, he was a possibility to be a Leaf. The guy is off to a flying start to his NHL career, that's for sure!

Points wise there's not a lot between them either. Marner has 2 points more in 6 fewer games, but you could argue he'd had more talent around him? Although the Avs has some exciting talent on their roster too.

The difference between the two is never 237 > 75. But that's an element that HF always brings.

I do like the Avs though and am weirdly happy to see Rantanen do well.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I rate Rantanens vision, passing and IQ as better than Marners, there’s a reason he’s leading the league in assists. In terms of skating Marner is shiftier but Rantanen is so strong on his skates and is surprisingly quick.
Rantanen might have more secondary assists, but Marner has more primary assists. Landeskog is a way better 3rd wheel than Hyman is, so it makes more sense that he'd have more secondaries. Marner is a little bit better at driving play and collecting primary points

I still think it's fair to call Rantanen better, but I think Marner is at least as good or better in terms of playmaking

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
If your friend is saying Marner >= Rantanen, clearly he can't be an Avs fan if he thinks that or you're making him watch too many Leafs game that he forget to watch Avs games.. Even Rantanen has been better than Mack so far this season IMO.
Lol we're both bias, fact is they're pretty much equal.

Marner has been better than Matthews and Tavares, what's your point. I hope you realize that Tavares is the passenger on the Marner line.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Lol we're both bias, fact is they're pretty much equal.

Marner has been better than Matthews and Tavares, what's your point. I hope you realize that Tavares is the passenger on the Marner line.
Agreed I wouldn't be shocked if some prefer Marner than Rantanen. I might be one of the few that are higher on Marner than Matthews either I underrate Matthews or I overrate Marner you guys tell me :laugh:

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
You could go either way. But to the few who are saying Rantanen is better at every facet of the game then Marner is just sad and wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad