Rank Drury on Deadline Day (Vatrano trade include)

Rank Drury

• A

• B

• C

• D

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
B. Turns into an A if he resigns Copp to a good deal.

What I like is that he addressed the issues. The team had no forward depth and gave up too many quality chances. Now they have an actual Bottom 6 with players that can go in and cause other teams headaches. They also have more guys that can put the puck in the back of the net. Add Kakko back in and that’s a really solid Forward corp.

I also like the Braun acquisition.

There’s still assets to move if he wants to make a big splash in the summer too.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Goes out and grabs a right defencemen.... Absolutely useless.
Goes out and grabs a bunch of left handed forwards (We have enough).
Grabbed Vatrano to help Florida make cap room... And then acquired a bunch of pieces that put Vatrano in the press box in the playoffs.

Team needs:
Top 6 centre - Nope
Left handed defencemen to get rid of Nemeth - Nope
Back-up goaltender for Igor - Nope
Get rid of Nemeths contract - Nope

Drury is a clown.
can I rank this opinion with an F?

Reactions: bobbop

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
B, maybe a B+. A lot will ride on how well Copp performs here and if he resigns. Overall he did a great job filling holes in the bottom 6 and rounding us out for a playoff run. No complaints.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I gave him a B. Nothing earth shattering, played it safe, and overpaid a little for Copp.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I thought it turned out that his recent injury wasn't a concussion?
They say it wasn't but he has had 4 documented concussions.
If it's true the Jets offered him (or he wanted) 5 million over 4 years that around what I would do. I wouldn't go more than 4 years for him (see Sam Bennett contract). Idelly 4.5ish for 4 years.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
I give it a B. If you look at the deals individually, they range from OK to good in terms of value. Copp was expensive to acquire, but I would consider that the market price rather than an overpayment.

But I give it a B mainly because bringing in 4 pending UFAs doesn’t do that much for this team. This team is looking at its first playoff appearance in 4 years. It still has some hard lessons to learn before it can go on a real run. Adding 4 rentals isn’t going to change that.

And while we are giving up mostly insignificant assets in these trades, those assets add up and affect your pipeline down the road. Going into a draft with 4 picks total and 1 in the first 3 rounds makes it harder to have talent in the pipeline to replenish the team when the rentals are long gone. I would have preferred adding 1 or 2 players rather than 4.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
It also depends on how we use the players.

The Eric Staal trade wasn't bad. I will repeat so you can warm your pancakes up on my hot take: THE ERIC STAAL TRADE WASN'T BAD! Like, at all.

What was bad was AV looking at a #1 center and going "wow, nice, Gorts got me a third line LW!"

In retrospect it's clear that Staal had a lot of gas in the tank and was just not used successfully here. His 60, 70, and 50 point seasons following his tenure here show that. Of course the team was also in rapid decline so I'm not sure even deploying him correctly would have resulted in any hardware.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I give it a B. If you look at the deals individually, they range from OK to good in terms of value. Copp was expensive to acquire, but I would consider that the market price rather than an overpayment.

But I give it a B mainly because bringing in 4 pending UFAs doesn’t do that much for this team. This team is looking at its first playoff appearance in 4 years. It still has some hard lessons to learn before it can go on a real run. Adding 4 rentals isn’t going to change that.

And while we are giving up mostly insignificant assets in these trades, those assets add up and affect your pipeline down the road. Going into a draft with 4 picks total and 1 in the first 3 rounds makes it harder to have talent in the pipeline to replenish the team when the rentals are long gone. I would have preferred adding 1 or 2 players rather than 4.
This is a fair take. But let's not forget they're also sitting on a treasure trove of younger prospects they could easily convert back to multiple draft picks per player Drury truly wanted to.

It would be one thing if the Rangers were leaving the cabinet dry. But it's still pretty stocked with assets.

This is Drury spending rather conservatively to give guys like Zibanejad, Panarin, and Kreider a shot at a playoff run in their prime years, and also give the younger players of the team a taste of what it takes to make a run at the playoffs.

I do think it's better for players like Kakko and Laf to fight for their ice time during a very competitive playoff environment against an influx of more experienced players on their team. That alone is could force them to develop faster. I want to see those two assertively take control of their positions to stay in the top 6 rather than lose that time to Copp and Vatrano.

The one thing I don't like is if they decide to sit Schneider in the postseason. Let that kid make mistakes and roll with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riche16

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I like what they did.

I do wish they either aimed higher than Vatrano, or added another forward though.

Rest of the stuff that they did at least makes sense and theoretically made the team better. They still have a lot to figure out though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad