Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Cincinnati Cyclones Thread: Part XV

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
How is he defensively? Does he PK?
I think he's fine. Had a couple SHG this year and one already this postseason.
His speed and ability to attack teams in the neutral zone and around the net is what really separates him so if his defense isn't amazing its ok.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
How is he defensively? Does he PK?

He never put up much as far as production stats at U-Nebraska-Omaha but he's been on the top pair all year. He's a shutdown defense first defenseman. That's been his bread and butter. He's a big guy 6-4 225 and he skates very well. He's. put up some points since turning pro. 3 assists in 7 games to finish the regular season and 1 assist in 4 playoff games so far.

Big bodied defensemen who skate and defend well are very likely to become NHL defensemen. Every team wants defensemen like that.....and I'm not comparing him necessarily to Schneider but in that draft video where John Davidson goes around the room and they're discussing Schneider before drafting him that's pretty much the same kind of conversation we could have about Mancini right now. These guys can be gold in playoff situations. All that said it's unlikely I think he's going to be a top 4 NHL defenseman any time soon and he might always be a 5 through 7 but even so whenever you get later round guys who can really play you've pretty much have hit the lottery maybe not the big one but you're getting a for real payoff.

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Another excellent game by Berard. If it were November or even February right now, and Berard played this well, I'd call him up. He should get a long look in the preseason. He's not far from the NHL. I don't even think his size is an issue anymore, he's not getting outmuscled out there. I'd give better than 50-50 odds that he's in the NHL within 12 months. To me, he's the most likely rookie next season.

One bad goal by Garand, but not much he could do about the other two. Tons of good saves, kept the team in the game for long stretches. He's not an NHL goalie yet, but he will be.

Mancini looks good considering he hasn't even played a dozen games in the pros. Won't be ready next year, but he's a real prospect.

Sykora was good overall, and very, very good for a 19 year old. He looks a bit too weak for the pros, but what do you expect when someone is a teenager in a league where non-Euro teens are banned? I think he'll be a major contributor to the Pack next season.

Othmann was meh, but maybe if he's suffering from an injury that is limiting him. Based on the 4 playoff games, I doubt he makes the NHL out of camp next season, but let's see how 2024-25 goes.

Robertson is very boring. I get that this is his style, but even defensive players should show something on defense. He will probably be a long-term AHL player.

Korczak - visible, not bad, but far from the NHL.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
He never put up much as far as production stats at U-Nebraska-Omaha but he's been on the top pair all year. He's a shutdown defense first defenseman. That's been his bread and butter. He's a big guy 6-4 225 and he skates very well. He's. put up some points since turning pro. 3 assists in 7 games to finish the regular season and 1 assist in 4 playoff games so far.

Big bodied defensemen who skate and defend well are very likely to become NHL defensemen. Every team wants defensemen like that.....and I'm not comparing him necessarily to Schneider but in that draft video where John Davidson goes around the room and they're discussing Schneider before drafting him that's pretty much the same kind of conversation we could have about Mancini right now. These guys can be gold in playoff situations. All that said it's unlikely I think he's going to be a top 4 NHL defenseman any time soon and he might always be a 5 through 7 but even so whenever you get later round guys who can really play you've pretty much have hit the lottery maybe not the big one but you're getting a for real payoff.
I was asking about Berard but I appreciate the info nonetheless.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
thanks for the reviews yall. real talent infusions from later round draft picks will keep hartford healthy and a great place to grow these pups

Reactions: bl02

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I've felt for a while that Othmann is going to be dangled at the draft along with other pieces for a defenseman.

We've got a pretty glaring need there on the parent roster with out any near future help there.

I've always been a Berard fan. Pretty much above average tools across the board+excellent work habits and he isn't afraid to go anywhere on the ice. Lavi will love him.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Everything I hear about Mancini makes me think of the big D men on Vegas. Hague, Whitecloud, McNabb. Not flashy but they are big, play defense and can pay a lot of minutes. Obviously you win with guys like that.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
I've felt for a while that Othmann is going to be dangled at the draft along with other pieces for a defenseman.

We've got a pretty glaring need there on the parent roster with out any near future help there.

I've always been a Berard fan. Pretty much above average tools across the board+excellent work habits and he isn't afraid to go anywhere on the ice. Lavi will love him.
I’m with you on moving Othmann.
Many of the knowledgeable posters have been preaching to take the best player available in the drafts and then the team can go and trade from a position of strength for a position of need.
I’ve seen the light and am fully baptized in the faith.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
No Berzolla for this series, Fla came from behind in series to win Tues and wed, eliminate Jax
while Mackey's hurt, he'd likely have been the 7th D ahead of the 3 healthy-scratch D-men Yoon, Rees, McCarthy.

Reactions: GAGLine

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

This kid is going to be an NHL bottom sixer ( hopefully 3rd line winger)

Sykora needs to grow… he looks like a boy against men… he needs to add weight to his frame….
He goes balls out whenever he’s on the ice. Maybe sending him to the W would have been the right move, but even though he looks physically overmatched at times, this experience is going to be invaluable to him down the line.
I’d bet, in the next year and a half/2 years he’s going to be knocking at the door…
He has that constant hustle and good attitude like Berard does. It makes him relentless. I hope he matures physically, gets his man strength and keeps developing.
Take it to the bank.

I think fans will love a 3rd line of
Cuylle-Chytil-Berard
Or
Berard-chytil-Kakko
Next season…. Either line has some serious potential to be a match up nightmare.

Mancini looks good. He’s calm and steady. He looks seasoned for a young kid. I’m holding my breathe, I love big D that can skate. But I was also a big. Robertson backer.
There’s still a large part of me that thinks he’s just plain demoralized he and that he thinks he won’t get a chance to sniff nhl mins.
His development seems to have stagnated.
NYR signed Gus, jones was already ahead of him on the depth chart, now it seems Scanlin has passed him this season.
I hope he gets traded to a team ( maybe bottom feeder) that gives him a look at 3rd pair nhl minutes.

Hartford had him on first pair and running the point on the PP last year, that’s just not his game at higher levels. He’s not going to produce points like he did in juniors in the A or he if ever makes the show.

Last edited:
Reactions: surlysailor

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Everything I hear about Mancini makes me think of the big D men on Vegas. Hague, Whitecloud, McNabb. Not flashy but they are big, play defense and can pay a lot of minutes. Obviously you win with guys like that.
He kid of reminds me of Samuelsson (sp)?
On the Sabres.
Big kid that skates well. Moves the puck smoothly and is sound positionally.

Like you said, jack of all trades/ master of none. But does all of the above well….

Granted, I probably don’t have the largest sample size of watching him….. I’m sure others on here have seen him a lot more….. just my 2 cents

if he winds up in that Samuelson/hague/Roy mold, what a home run pick he’ll be.

Last edited:
Reactions: noncents

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
i loved what Chmelar was doing at Providence and it's awesome to see in Hartford. i agree he could be a depth piece.

bring up BMB Roobroeck and Laba! Big Fast Mean Relentless Hockey!! that's how you establish an AHL culture - with high character depth prospects that compete for bottom 6 spots with skill guys peppered in.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Ugly game, but the series is 1-1 and heading to Hartford. This will be the first home game for Hartford in the playoffs. Win on Wednesday and they are still in the driver's seat.

Reactions: Daves a mess

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
So as of now is Berard our best prospect in Hartford? He leapfrogged Othmann?
I'll say he looks more confident and overall more prepared and effective in the AHL right now. But....Othmann is a year younger which means something at their ages and development is not linear.

I know you know this but:
If Othmann were to pot 35 for the Pack next year while Berard struggled a bit with the transition to the NHL, people would be including Berard in all their trade proposals while screaming for Othmann to be on Mika's wing.

Funny how it goes.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I don't think its close. Othmann probably still the most exciting prospect to the casual fan but if you've watched the two of them this year Berard stands out as the much better prospect especially at driving play and creating offense.

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
I'll say he looks more confident and overall more prepared and effective in the AHL right now. But....Othmann is a year younger which means something at their ages and development is not linear.

I know you know this but:
If Othmann were to pot 35 for the Pack next year while Berard struggled a bit with the transition to the NHL, people would be including Berard in all their trade proposals while screaming for Othmann to be on Mika's wing.

Funny how it goes.

Othmann is only 4 months younger, so they're practically the same age. To me, Berard looks better, much better. Possibly because Othmann is playing injured, I didn't watch any regular season games, so I don't know what Othmann's base line was this season.

That said, Berard is visible every single shift. Even if you knew nothing about hockey, you'd still go, "Who is that #9, he's good!"

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Early in the season, the big reason Berard looked better, is because he got a lot of his points at 5v5 and Othmann had a bad plus-minus because he was always on the ice with the goalie pulled (6v5) leading to a minus a lot.

However, the last 2 months it has evened out a bit with Othmann scoring more 5v5.

I still think Berard is the more impressive rookie in Hartford this season, but his upside may be limited. I could easily see both make the team out of camp in September.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad