Rank Drury on Deadline Day (Vatrano trade include)

Rank Drury

• A

• B

• C

• D

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
The team is 3rd in the east and 40-18-5. They were always going to be buyers the only unknown was how big of a buyer they would be.

They have performed beyond expectation by a wide margin. If you told anyone before the season started that we would have the record we have at the deadline with 35 points combined between LaFreniere and Kakko you would have gotten laughed off the boards.

They just beat two of the top teams in the eastern conference under poor conditions.

They have the best goaltender in the world, one of the best wingers in the world and one of the best defenseman in the world.

This trade deadline was an absolute arms race, especially in the east, with almost every contending team getting better. If we didn't get Copp it's entirely possible one of our future playoff opponents would have.

You read Drury's quotes today and it almost seems like he didn't expect the team to come along this quickly but now that we're here you certainly can't sell and sitting on the sidelines in the middle of an arms race is almost as good as selling.

I'm not going to cry over Barron. Nice player, I hope he has a good career, but that really shouldn't be a crippling trade for this team.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I wanted to give a B+, so I went with an A because it’s not Drury’s fault it wasn’t option.

Reactions: nyr2k2

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
Would‘ve given an A before the Copp trade. Getting Vatrano, Braun, and Motte for a third and 2 fourths is great business. Wish we had made 1 more trade like that for another bottom-6er.

Like Copp, but 2 seconds and Barron is way too much for him. Unlikely he’ll resign, and as others have mentioned, given his injury history, not sure we’d want to. Its just a lot to give up for a rental of his caliber and those assets would go a long way for a longer term piece. That trade is a C for me, but would give Drury a B overall.

We’re a much better team than we were a week ago and have a pretty good chance (more or less a coin flip) against pretty much any team, at least in the metro

Creepingjeff

Mar 4, 2016
Solid A for me. He made this team much better without giving up too much. I would have loved them trying to find a young center but that is the type of trade that normally happens around the draft. They still have all of their best prospects. Barron doesn't have that high of a ceiling. I would be surprised if he is even a regular 3rd liner. I can live without that.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If the second turns into a 1st we’ll be in the conference finals which makes that 1st a very very late 1st between 29 and 32. That’s a very okay price to pay to be one of the last 4 teams standing. Drury giving lessons in how to give up your 1st rounder and not make it hurt that much. Morgan Barron is a pretty good prospect but he’s going to be a bottom 6 forward. I like him a lot but it’s not a huge loss.

We fleshed out the depth other than that for 3rd and 4th round draft picks with guys who should provide secondary scoring ( a need) and do a lot of the unappreciated shit that actually wins games. McKegg and Gauthier should be sidelined if we’re at all healthy. I also like that we now have 7 defensemen who play their positions well enough that I’m comfortable with any of them out on our PK.

Reactions: FUZfan

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Solid B with a chance for a higher score after review.

My take on the day was that a) Drury watched the two games this weekend and felt emboldened and b) he watched the two games against Minnesota and St. Louis and knew he needEd to toughen up his hockey club.

I love Copp and hope he finds a home in New York. You may remember he is the one player I called out a couple of weeks ago. He is a well rounded hockey player with a deep and varied skill set. Motte is a useful bottom six player who comes fairly cheap and could also stay around If the price is right. Braun is a decent plug.

I also see some long term implications. If Copp stays, this could push Strome out the door. And if Strome does go, I would expect that Chytil and (gulp) Kakko could be bait to fill the center position with a younger, upcoming player. If Braun plays well enough to be offered a contract, it clearly sets Nemeth up to be moved.

There’s a second act coming and now I’ve got more confidence in Drury than I had yesterday.

FUZfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2018
F. The worst tank ever just got worse.:laugh:

Seriously, I gave him a B just because I would have liked Drury to weaponize the cap space we had a little more and spend Dolans money. But I'm excited to see the new additions play abd hope they can build some chemistry before the playoffs start.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Goes out and grabs a right defencemen.... Absolutely useless.
Goes out and grabs a bunch of left handed forwards (We have enough).
Grabbed Vatrano to help Florida make cap room... And then acquired a bunch of pieces that put Vatrano in the press box in the playoffs.

Team needs:
Top 6 centre - Nope
Left handed defencemen to get rid of Nemeth - Nope
Back-up goaltender for Igor - Nope
Get rid of Nemeths contract - Nope

Drury is a clown.
Groundhog Day!

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Goes out and grabs a right defencemen.... Absolutely useless.
Goes out and grabs a bunch of left handed forwards (We have enough).
Grabbed Vatrano to help Florida make cap room... And then acquired a bunch of pieces that put Vatrano in the press box in the playoffs.

Team needs:
Top 6 centre - Nope
Left handed defencemen to get rid of Nemeth - Nope
Back-up goaltender for Igor - Nope
Get rid of Nemeths contract - Nope

Drury is a clown.
I'm going to go ahead and believe that this is Andy Kaufman level satire.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Solid B with a chance for a higher score after review.

My take on the day was that a) Drury watched the two games this weekend and felt emboldened and b) he watched the two games against Minnesota and St. Louis and knew he needEd to toughen up his hockey club.

I love Copp and hope he finds a home in New York. You may remember he is the one player I called out a couple of weeks ago. He is a well rounded hockey player with a deep and varied skill set. Motte is a useful bottom six player who comes fairly cheap and could also stay around If the price is right. Braun is a decent plug.

I also see some long term implications. If Copp stays, this could push Strome out the door. And if Strome does go, I would expect that Chytil and (gulp) Kakko could be bait to fill the center position with a younger, upcoming player. If Braun plays well enough to be offered a contract, it clearly sets Nemeth up to be moved.

There’s a second act coming and now I’ve got more confidence in Drury than I had yesterday.

Can’t trade Kakko.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Another positive to mention is that Drury has kept basically all of his major bullets to potentially acquire an impact player in the offseason. Didn't move Chytil, Nils, Jones, VK, Cuylle, Othmann or Robertson. I still think Othmann should be off limits, but the rest of those guys hold major value in trades and could be used should the 2c of the future become available in the offseaon. So kudos to Drury for that.

Upgraded the roster and didn't cough up the true major assets.
Absolutely. That could even be considered the biggest win of his trade deadline.

Reactions: bhamill

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
For those of you who voted B over A, what’s your reasoning? We didn’t spend all that much on these clear upgrades. I think it was a healthy balance between doing nothing and going all in.

I gave him a B+ / A-

Anyone who reserves As for turning the team into a contender is not reasonable.

The Copp deal is essentially Barron and two 2nds. Jets wanted a 1st. Barron is not much of a prospect. The only thing that gives me pause is the conditional 1st if the Rangers reach the conference finals. Without that condition, I'd give Drury an A. Drury hit home runs with the other moves.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
One thing I do hope is that people stop talking about Drury like he's legitimately a moron. I don't expect everyone to love him, but I think he showed in how he handled this TDL that he definitely has a good idea of how to do his job.
The problem is you have a bunch of galaxy brains here thinking a 40-18-5 team should be selling their 2C and backup goalie at the deadline.

Creepingjeff

Mar 4, 2016
F. The worst tank ever just got worse.:laugh:

Seriously, I gave him a B just because I would have liked Drury to weaponize the cap space we had a little more and spend Dolans money. But I'm excited to see the new additions play abd hope they can build some chemistry before the playoffs start.
I agree with the weaponization, but looking at it and maybe I missed something but I didn't see any trade where any team brought in a third team to lower a cap hit. It takes three to tango and that situation just doesn't seem to have needed to happen. That said, they did use their cap space to get Vatarno at a discounted rate, so that should count for something.

Reactions: FUZfan

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
It came down to where CD thought the biggest need was: a winger for the Strome/Panarin line (Rackell) or stabilizing the 3rd line (Copp). I'm not sure I would have gone for the 3rd line option but I understand his thinking and what he did. I wish we had a better idea of exactly what is going on with KK.
Was never the biggest fan of Barron and never quite saw what others saw in him. Could he become a legit 3rd line center? Perhaps, but to me he seemed like a 4th liner hampered by his lack of footspeed. Hope he does well.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Bennett contract with an extra year or 2

If we could parlay Nils and a first into a young cost controlled center, that would work out nicely. By time the kid needs a big raise, Copp's deal will be movable or expiring.

I'm not suggesting Lundell because he's untouchable, but for lack of another name, let's use his as a placeholder:

Zibanejad
Lundell
Copp

Would be the tits.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I give it a B to a B+. I'm happy with every move they made but I have just a taaaaaad "meh" on Copp.

I would've liked to swing for a cheap streaky scorer like Kessel or Domi but I understand why they didn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad