Rank Drury on Deadline Day (Vatrano trade include)

Rank Drury

• A

• B

• C

• D

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
In the poll yes. In the comments, many annoying complaints. I’ve seen Copp mentioned here for weeks, goes out and gets him, still complaining.

I’m happy with all the moves and the prices paid in this market.
People: bash Drury for not improving the team / want him to improve without giving anything good

Drury: improves team without giving anything good

Same people: bash Drury for improving the team without giving anything good

Haters gonna hate...never fails

Reactions: E-Train

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I'll give it a B. Got good value and depth, but all rentals for a decent chunk of draft capital. And I don't think it's really the right time to "go for it" (not that this is really that).

Kind of feel they'd need to re-sign some of them, and there's always a risk with that too. Can we please avoid another Brendan Smith disaster ?

Would love to get Copp for affordable 3C money.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If they extend Copp to a decent contract it would change my grade, to a lesser extent Vatrano / Motte. Or if they win the Cup...

Yet as is, trading futures for who knows?

I give them a C for making the current team better.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
So with additions made today who sits from last game lineup? And then who sits when all injured return including Blais?

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
A. Great additions. Hopefully Copp is signed to a reasonable contract.

Only wish is that some spare parts (Goat, Hajek and Georgiev) could have been moved out.

EDIT: I am updating this to an A. You can only do some much and talk to so many GMs. So with that in mind, it's an A.

Last edited:

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Best part of today was when we thought Hajek was the player involved in the Copp deal.

Haha. I can agree. I have made an edit though. He could only get so much done and I think everything was great. Excited to watch the game tomorrow.

Reactions: Tob

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I have to think that most people giving Drury a B to A grade did not feel there was much need to improve the team today. Sure Drury added depth to the 3rd line but that's like getting new hubcaps on your car while the transmission is misfiring.

This team's BIGGEST weakness has been 5 on 5 scoring, and although the bottom 6 has been improved, that's not really addressing the problem. This team needs a #2 RW in the worst way and Drury did nothing to fix that.

Copp was a nice get, although the price could turn out to have been way too expensive when all is said and done.

Drury is a rookie GM and this season he has shown it. He is just lucky that there were pieces in place that practically guaranteed he couldn't screw up the team.
The team has a #2 Right Wing. Just have to have a little faith in the process.

a628019082ea5cd41fc5a79cb70a9a64b37f3fc4.gifv

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
People: bash Drury for not improving the team / want him to improve without giving anything good

Drury: improves team without giving anything good

Same people: bash Drury for improving the team without giving anything good

Haters gonna hate...never fails

Pretty much. I don't see how anyone with a brain can be frustrated with this. Only those that severely overrate picks (that are pretty easily replaceable come the summer). If we don't resign Strome, Geo, or any of the new 4 additions, we very well might recoup a fair amount of picks. Barron is whatever. He's going on his age 24 season and was meh in his cup of tea. You can't hang on to prospects forever because eventually they become worthless.

Also, while I realize many thinks the team doesn't have a shot, you have to imagine the brass thinks they do. There's one reason for that, Igor. The season Igor is having is on a historic track. It's in the same stratosphere as Hasek's dominant season(s) where he carried Buffalo through the playoffs. I realize on the ice the team often looks underwhelming, but by bolstering the team, if Igor continues at this level, it's not impossible they can make a run this year.

I was scared shitless thinking we might be buyers today, especially as prices for some other rentals trickled across. Drury did an absolute fantastic job bolstering the team for a potential run, filling various spots of need and giving significant depth both at forward and defense, should injury strike. And he did it all by giving up small % chances at actual NHL players.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
If they can resign Copp at a fair value deal, that is a solid A.

Right now it’s a solid B

Really like that no roster players were removed, Kakko and Laf can still retain their minutes and Schneider still will be an option for playoff time bringing in a underrated Dman who can play both sides.

He did a nice job not sending off top assets like Nils, Robertson and Jones. Still think one or two of them may have a future on this blue line.

Also held onto Georgiev. I don’t think the return would’ve been worth it.

I would’ve preferred an RFA but the jury is still out on Copp and he fills a lot of holes. Maybe he’ll be back next year.

All in all he added much needed depth and pretty much transformed the bottom six while keeping the mojo this team has.

This team is more dangerous 5on5 and better defensively.

A lot of the players also have connections to each other being past teammates and that’s always an added bonus.

Last edited:

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I’m assuming Copp is extended and Strome walks. I give it a solid A. Copp, IMO, is the exact right type of center to play with Panarin and Kakko. As we’ve said, Panarin doesn’t need a typical top six center because he’s the play driver. Copp and Kakko will create space and possession. I think it will work well. But that’s next year.

Copp and Motte are great additions. Vatrano is a solid addition as well. Braun is good insurance and depth, though I don’t love the idea that we’ll see a Nemeth-Braun pairing. Hope he plays offside with Schneider. Regardless, these moves push the depth to a much better place and when KK comes back we’re likely going to see a fourth line of Motte/Goodrow and one of Rooney, Reaves or Hunt. Chytil, Vatrano and either Copp or KK on the third line, depending if they put Copp up with Panarin’s line immediately. I imagine they’ll try it with what he cost. That’s so much better than what we’ve been trotting out.

But the biggest reason I give him an A is that he did exactly what we all wanted and straddled the line between being a buyer and not blowing his load at too early of a stage in the development. At the very least, we should get some good playoff experience this year and if Copp is re-signed, we’ll be bringing back virtually the same team next year, minus Strome, potentially plus Blais/Kravtsov. I’m very excited for Copp as I wanted him as my Panarin center all along, and I’m excited for this team to do battle with the big dogs in tight Eastern conference playoffs. LGR!

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I’m assuming Copp is extended and Strome walks. I give it a solid A. Copp, IMO, is the exact right type of center to play with Panarin and Kakko. As we’ve said, Panarin doesn’t need a typical top six center because he’s the play driver. Copp and Kakko will create space and possession. I think it will work well. But that’s next year.

Copp and Motte are great additions. Vatrano is a solid addition as well. Braun is good insurance and depth, though I don’t love the idea that we’ll see a Nemeth-Braun pairing. Hope he plays offside with Schneider. Regardless, these moves push the depth to a much better place and when KK comes back we’re likely going to see a fourth line of Motte/Goodrow and one of Rooney, Reaves or Hunt. Chytil, Vatrano and either Copp or KK on the third line, depending if they put Copp up with Panarin’s line immediately. I imagine they’ll try it with what he cost. That’s so much better than what we’ve been trotting out.

But the biggest reason I give him an A is that he did exactly what we all wanted and straddled the line between being a buyer and not blowing his load at too early of a stage in the development. At the very least, we should get some good playoff experience this year and if Copp is re-signed, we’ll be bringing back virtually the same team next year, minus Strome, potentially plus Blais/Kravtsov. I’m very excited for Copp as I wanted him as my Panarin center all along, and I’m excited for this team to do battle with the big dogs in tight Eastern conference playoffs. LGR!

we've seen Drury bet on guys he likes, acquires them at a premium cost and hammer out a contract like Goodrow. Solid chance we see something worked out sooner rather than later.

Reactions: LokiDog

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
we've seen Drury bet on guys he likes, acquires them at a premium cost and hammer out a contract like Goodrow. Solid chance we see something worked out sooner rather than later.

That’s my thinking as well. Though I could see them waiting on the extension so as not to get Strome and Panarin sulking in the playoffs. The second the ink dries on a Copp extension, Strome’s house goes on the market.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
B+

Only thing that prevented it from making it an A was the prospect of a conditional 1st if the Rangers get to the ECF, but if that happens, this season was a massive success.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
Pretty much. I don't see how anyone with a brain can be frustrated with this. Only those that severely overrate picks (that are pretty easily replaceable come the summer). If we don't resign Strome, Geo, or any of the new 4 additions, we very well might recoup a fair amount of picks. Barron is whatever. He's going on his age 24 season and was meh in his cup of tea. You can't hang on to prospects forever because eventually they become worthless.

Also, while I realize many thinks the team doesn't have a shot, you have to imagine the brass thinks they do. There's one reason for that, Igor. The season Igor is having is on a historic track. It's in the same stratosphere as Hasek's dominant season(s) where he carried Buffalo through the playoffs. I realize on the ice the team often looks underwhelming, but by bolstering the team, if Igor continues at this level, it's not impossible they can make a run this year.

I was scared shitless thinking we might be buyers today, especially as prices for some other rentals trickled across. Drury did an absolute fantastic job bolstering the team for a potential run, filling various spots of need and giving significant depth both at forward and defense, should injury strike. And he did it all by giving up small % chances at actual NHL players.
Completely agree.

Personally, I wouldn't put a bet on us running through the East this year, but why wouldn't management believe it's possible? We have the best goalie in the league, a Norris caliber defenseman, one of the league's best power forwards pacing for 45-50 goals, and a great top 6 F and top 4 D. It's their job to win championships...why wouldn't they try to do it right now? Especially without giving up anything important to our roster over the next 4-6 years. On top of that, we still have essentially all of our blue chip pieces to use to acquire a 2C this summer / next season. Really just a brilliant day by Drury, IMO.

And to further throw cold water on the doubters, look at Montreal last year. They got laughed at for being gifted a playoff spot and ran that momentum all the way to the Cup.

Is it improbable that we do the same? Maybe. Impossible? No...

Reactions: KevinFinnerty

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
A, Also not sure if people here know that Copp is a master deflector in front of the net and great in transition. Motte has a motor like Callahan did, he is an upgrade over everyone on the 4th line. Drury hit it out of the park, Vatrano was also a great pickup and Braun was really good in San Jose and was somehow a positive player on the shitty ass Flyers. I’m excited to see him play.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad