Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Free Agent D Neal Pionk

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Probably. Frankly, I think the concept of cap floor teams looking for players who get paid less than their cap hit is overstated. We've seen almost none of those deals over the years.

I agree it's overstated, but it has happened before. Over the remaining 3 years of Girardi's contract, a cap floor team would save $2.5 million parallel to Girardi's cap hit: his salary is $5 million next season, and $4 million each of the following seasons.

Comparatively, there's exactly zero chance a non-cap floor team allocates $5.5 million AAV for Dan Girardi.

Their logic is okay, but ultimately the point is moot. Girardi isn't going to allow the Rangers to trade him to a cap floor team. Which is why I see a buyout as the only viable option.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think Girardi or Staal would waive if they were being sent to a good situation. When a team basically tells you they no longer want you, that can have a real motivating effect to waive. And while they are settled, guys that are settled move all the time. People can adjust and these guys know it's a business.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I still think the big test will be this offseason. There's gonna be a lot of moving parts, but he has an opportunity to really remake the blueline and farm system. How creative is Gorton willing to get? Will they manage a strong return for Raanta? Is he smart enough to use Hayes as a trade chip to grease the wheels either on dumping a bad contract or making a big acquisition? Does the acquisition of all these skilled UDFAs signal a change that will carry over into their drafting approach?

We're gonna find out very quickly imo because the leadup to the expansion draft presents all kinds of trade opportunities. Ideally, they bundle Hayes and one of Staal/Girardi for a 2nd-7th round pick, then extend Smith at favorable terms before he hits free agency, and use Hayes' protection slot on Lindberg. Turn Raanta into a late first too.

I like this idea

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I think Girardi or Staal would waive if they were being sent to a good situation. When a team basically tells you they no longer want you, that can have a real motivating effect to waive. And while they are settled, guys that are settled move all the time. People can adjust and these guys know it's a business.

Probably. Also depends on their whole family situation and whether or not they would be willing to move them or have a long distance between them during hockey season.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
When Carolina acquired Jordan Staal,everyone was fretting about Marc joining him. The Rangers would have a break if Marc wanted to play in Carolina. Did the Rangers sign Girardi thinking Staal was a goner? I remember Eddie Olczyk did a Rangers game during the 13-14 season,he felt that Girardi was a must sign because Edzo felt Staal was not re-signing with the Rangers. Olczyk felt the Rangers could not lose both players.Staal was supposed to be a free agent after 14-15.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Sather had very few if any gems like Girardi he plucked from nowhere. He wasn't going to trade him, he was more than just a player in Sathers eye, this was a guy he could call his own.

The Ducks, amongst other teams, tried to pluck DG away from us over the course of two years. I was so on board, the right side needed a puck mover.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Sather had very few if any gems like Girardi he plucked from nowhere. He wasn't going to trade him, he was more than just a player in Sathers eye, this was a guy he could call his own.

The Ducks, amongst other teams, tried to pluck DG away from us over the course of two years. I was so on board, the right side needed a puck mover.

Ryan Callahan fits the same description and was traded a week after Girardi re-signed.

Sather was an extremely flawed GM but I never got the impression he gave a damn what anyone said outside of the voices in his head.

More likely he wanted to squeeze a few playoffs runs out of DG before his game completely disappeared and simply didn't care that he was screwing over his successor.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I like this idea

Really?

I like Oscar as much as anybody, but Hayes is a far more valuable asset IMO. As much as people love these types of players and get emotionally attached to them, you can find fourth line hustlers fairly easily.

Hayes has been disappointing for most of these playoffs but he's a 50ish point player who we have the luxury of putting out on a third scoring line to bolster our otherwise decent but not great center depth.

Hayes is too valuable to add to G as a sweetener for very little in return. That's throwing good assets at bad assets imo. Bad move.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
.. Sather was an extremely flawed GM but I never got the impression he gave a damn what anyone said outside of the voices in his head.... simply didn't care that he was screwing over his successor.

this is just made up stuff
Sather was his own kind of guy, but he was loyal and team first

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
If you dig into their rate stats, Lindberg might actually be better than Hayes. Oscar's 5v5 points/60 of 1.77 beats Hayes' 5v5 points/60 of 1.60 this year. And the possession stats also trend in Lindberg's direction.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Ryan Callahan fits the same description and was traded a week after Girardi re-signed.

Sather was an extremely flawed GM but I never got the impression he gave a damn what anyone said outside of the voices in his head.

More likely he wanted to squeeze a few playoffs runs out of DG before his game completely disappeared and simply didn't care that he was screwing over his successor.

Callahan was drafted, DG was a free agent, big difference.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
It's no surprise Lindberg and Miller have some chemistry. Both play a similar type of game. Miller and Hayes never made sense to me.

Lindberg and Miller had great chemistry in the AHL, no surprise to me, then again, Lindberg compliments everyone he plays with so far.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
It's no surprise Lindberg and Miller have some chemistry. Both play a similar type of game. Miller and Hayes never made sense to me[.

That really doesn't dictate whether or not players will have chemistry. A lot of times similar players don't play well together and 2 players who bring something totally different can compliment each other well.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Callahan was drafted, DG was a free agent, big difference.

He was a 4th rounder. That's basically being plucked from nowhere. Especially considering what he accomplished and that he was a Rangers captain.

On a list of Sather "unexpected accomplishments" drafting Cally is pretty high.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
He was a 4th rounder. That's basically being plucked from nowhere. Especially considering what he accomplished and that he was a Rangers captain.

On a list of Sather "unexpected accomplishments" drafting Cally is pretty high.

4th rounders are at least on half or more of drafting teams radar, Girardi was turned down by every team, situations not the same.

Sather's Achilles heal his first ten years as NYR GM was free agents, not the draft(though 2003 draft, oy). Girardi was his huge hit after so many misses, that definitely meant something to him.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I'm irrationally excited for the opportunity to shout "Pionk, Pionk mother****er" when he scores.

magnkarl

Jan 26, 2014
Pickled Herring etc.
Pionk. Nice name. It's the sound the puck makes when it hits the post. McDonagh over to Pionk who smashes it... PIONK! it's off the post and in. Power play goal by Dan Girardi...Don't you mean Pionk Sam? Oh yes..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad