Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Free Agent D Neal Pionk

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
i never assume a first year pro will break in at NHL level,
but a couple years in D rotation of a top 5 NCAA team is great prep.

The remake of our pro D prospect pipeline in the last 12 months is remarkable;
adding Paliotta(currently 24, 2 years pro), Gilmour(24, 1 year pro), Zboro(20, rookie from CHL) , Day(19. Rookie from CHL), Bereglazov(23, 3 yrs KHL), Pedrie(23, rookie from NCAA) and Pionk(22[by camp], rookie from NCAA); 5 as FA's

Last edited:

scratchhayes*

Mar 24, 2016
I see this defense as McDonagh, Skjei, Graves, Zboroskiy, Smith and Pionk by as soon as next year. I don't think Zboroskiy even sees the AHL. I would dump everybody else. Tell Staal point blank, accept a trade or you are getting released. Buy Girardi out. Holden and Klein traded. Only chance this team has to win with Hank is to build that young defense as quick as possible. Go with as much youth as possible and have it mature by next season.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I see this defense as McDonagh, Skjei, Graves, Zboroskiy, Smith and Pionk by as soon as next year. I don't think Zboroskiy even sees the AHL. I would dump everybody else. Tell Staal point blank, accept a trade or you are getting released. Buy Girardi out. Holden and Klein traded. Only chance this team has to win with Hank is to build that young defense as quick as possible. Go with as much youth as possible and have it mature by next season.

If thats the case, it's because hes in the ECHL.

He'll likely need at least 2 full AHL seasons before hes anything close to ready.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

And what of Berezgalov, who is probably the most ready of any of the guys we recently acquired? Or Paliotta, who was very good in Hartford? Or Pedrie, a good college player who impressed in his AHL cup of coffee? Somehow those guys are passed over by Zborovoskiy who is a decent but hardly special prospect? He's just going to step right in? Come on, man.

If Zborovoskiy doesn't see the AHL it's because he's in the ECHL or back for an over-age year.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
sounds more like ryan ellis to me

letang is terrible on the pp tbh

I'd kill to have Ryan Ellis on this team. Remember when him and Fowler were playing in Windsor and the idea was Fowler was a no doubter and Ellis was too small for the league?

Now, Fowler is so overrated by everyone and Ellis is the true prize of that Windsor defense.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0651178546818981326-4

Craig Custance said:
NY Rangers signed Neal Pionk from Minny Duluth. A highly coveted college free agent, Pionk is a smart puck moving defenseman. He may not be dynamic, but he's highly effective and has a pro style game. He becomes one of the Rangers better prospects.

This is very encouraging. Sounds more like a Stralman-type player. Good both ways, maybe not a huge point producer, but will his passing makes him a very effective player at the NHL level.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Zborovskiy making the Rangers next year is one huge reach.

The Rangers can't release Staal--they would have to either convince him to accept a trade or buy him out. That Klein isn't playing now that his time with the Rangers is over. Clendening the same.

The questions really are whether the Rangers are going to re-sign Smith and/or make a big push for someone like Shattenkirk. Doing so they will have to cut some bait and the buyouts of Staal and/or Girardi come then. Holden doesn't cost much--he's decent bang for the buck. I'm kind of thinking if he doesn't get grabbed by Vegas he'll be back next year. Personally I'd buy out Staal no matter what right now.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Would Vegas take Staal in a trade? Maybe with some salary retained? They'll obviously want some veterans on the team.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Consensus on where Pionk would have gone this draft had he been eligible?

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
One of Bereglazov or Graves will be on the roster within the first 10 games of next season, is what it feels like.

This guy and Zborovsky are at least a full year away from legitimately competing for any NHL time

darko

Feb 16, 2009
One of Bereglazov or Graves will be on the roster within the first 10 games of next season, is what it feels like.

This guy and Zborovsky are at least a full year away from legitimately competing for any NHL time

I think Graves will. Girardi and Klein are gone for sure, Staal most likely. Gorton fixed the forward group last offseason by adding Ziba and Grabner. He'll fix the blue line as much as he can this offseason. Gorton is not stupid.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Pionk was playing in the USHL when Greeley was still at BU recruiting players. Greeley knows all of those players. He probably tried to recruit Pionk to BU. I heard him on Boston University hockey podcast after he left BU. They tried to recruit players from all over North America. Greeley tried to recruit Jack Daugherty to BU. Minnesota boy. He went to Wisconsin. Greeley would be the guy to scout Pionk in college too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad