Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Free Agent D Neal Pionk

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Ryan Callahan fits the same description and was traded a week after Girardi re-signed.

Sather was an extremely flawed GM but I never got the impression he gave a damn what anyone said outside of the voices in his head.

More likely he wanted to squeeze a few playoffs runs out of DG before his game completely disappeared and simply didn't care that he was screwing over his successor.

I think it was mostly because the Rangers were in the middle of a presidents trophy winning stanley cup favorite team season so Sather decided to sign him rather than trade him in the hopes the Rangers won.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I think it was mostly because the Rangers were in the middle of a presidents trophy winning stanley cup favorite team season so Sather decided to sign him rather than trade him in the hopes the Rangers won.

They extended Girardi in 14, when they were second in the Metro. Staal got extended during the President's Trophy season.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
They extended Girardi in 14, when they were second in the Metro. Staal got extended during the President's Trophy season.

Girardi was resigned during the season (unless i am completely mistake), the team was still pretty messy at that time. We didn't know if we could keep Staal and Callahan. Stralsy.

You can certainly make good and bad decisions when signing contracts. But, your goal cannot be to never sign a player so that he never will be overpaid. Just because you have so limited options. The cost of doing business is that some players will be overpaid for you at times. We cannot panick too much about that.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Girardi was resigned during the season (unless i am completely mistake), the team was still pretty messy at that time. We didn't know if we could keep Staal and Callahan. Stralsy.

You can certainly make good and bad decisions when signing contracts. But, your goal cannot be to never sign a player so that he never will be overpaid. Just because you have so limited options. The cost of doing business is that some players will be overpaid for you at times. We cannot panick too much about that.

Cally has a terrible contract too .

It's hard to walk away from Girardi when they were so good as a team

that was a deadline signing so he stayed and cally went for St Louis so cup final year

Staal they just blew that one . Should of let him go and resign Stralman

Atleast the Dan Boyle contract was short

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
This is the best signing for the Rangers as a UDFA.

Player has been trending up for a while.

Lots of teams wanted him. Lots. RHD aside.

Can skate and shoot. Really smart puck mover.

Late bloomer. Game picked up when he started maturing physically.

Fluid skater and smart decision maker.

Has the Justin Schultz type of game going for him.

So expect some up and downs.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Pionk played some left side at Minnesota-Duluth

Pionk has been a top-pair defenseman for a large part of his freshman season, playing both on his off-side and his natural right side with senior captain Andy Welinski, who is also right-handed but plays on the left side with Pionk nowadays.

"Maybe we were too stupid to try that earlier in the year," Sandelin quipped a few weeks ago when asked about having Welinski on the left side of that pairing after Pionk played that side earlier in the season. "I talked to Andy about playing the off side. I think he really enjoys it. I know I did when I played. I think it's good for him, not only for us, but it's good for him down the road to learn that."

When asked if he had a preference, Pionk said he'd "go right side for now," but he said he'll play where he's told.

"You see the ice differently from the left side," Pionk added. "On the right side, you're more fluid going up the ice. There are benefits to both sides."

With two goals and ten points in 25 games, Pionk has shown no real signs of slowing down. He's playing big minutes and largely playing them well. It's a great thing for his development, and for UMD's future, as Pionk figures to be a top defenseman in this program for a long time to come.

http://ciskie.blogspot.com/2016/02/impact-freshmen-help-keep-umd-afloat.html

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
"It was an extremely hard decision," Pionk told NYRangers.com in a phone interview. "It's been an absolute dream come true [to play for Minnesota Duluth] … but the decision to leave was based on opportunity. I saw there was an interest with a various number of teams and there was an opportunity for a right-handed defenseman to potentially step up and play."

Rangers Assistant General Manager Chris Drury said Pionk was on the organization's radar for some time, and that his playmaking ability and right-handed shot were appealing to the Blueshirts.

"Neal was a defenseman we targeted for the last two years," Drury said. "His combination of character, compete level and grit, to go along with the way he plays the game - both offensively and defensively - are the reasons why we wanted to add him.

"Every team in the League is looking for a right-handed, puck moving defenseman," Drury added, "and we are certainly thrilled to add Neal to our organization."

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/pionk-excited-for-opportunity-presented-by-rangers/c-289498890

Pionk likes how Ryan Ellis plays. Good player.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
"Neal was a defenseman we targeted for the last two years," Drury said. "His combination of character, compete level and grit, to go along with the way he plays the game - both offensively and defensively - are the reasons why we wanted to add him."

Buzzwordy buzzwordington.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
"Neal was a defenseman we targeted for the last two years," Drury said. "His combination of character, compete level and grit, to go along with the way he plays the game - both offensively and defensively - are the reasons why we wanted to add him."

Buzzwordy buzzwordington.

To be honest, I feel like all team managements around the league say this exact quote to describe at least...50% of their signings.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
he looks like he has a wicked shot but doesn't really score a ton of goals...wonder how his potential offense translates to the NHL or even AHL

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
he looks like he has a wicked shot but doesn't really score a ton of goals...wonder how his potential offense translates to the NHL or even AHL

7 goals for a D in 42 games plus a bunch of assists is very good production in college. Just look at other college D who are NHLers with his skill set. Gostisbehere 5 and 8 in his fist two ncaa years, Shattenkirk was potting 7 a year at BU. McAvoy had 3 and 5. For an offensive D he's showing comparable production to current NHLers, his D play will be most interesting to see how it translates.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
7 goals for a D in 42 games plus a bunch of assists is very good production in college. Just look at other college D who are NHLers with his skill set. Gostisbehere 5 and 8 in his fist two ncaa years, Shattenkirk was potting 7 a year at BU. McAvoy had 3 and 5. For an offensive D he's showing comparable production to current NHLers, his D play will be most interesting to see how it translates.

Yeah and look at Skjei's college numbers as well.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Rangers Assistant General Manager Chris Drury said Pionk was on the organization's radar for some time, and that his playmaking ability and right-handed shot were appealing to the Blueshirts.

"Neal was a defenseman we targeted for the last two years," Drury said. "His combination of character, compete level and grit, to go along with the way he plays the game - both offensively and defensively - are the reasons why we wanted to add him.

"Every team in the League is looking for a right-handed, puck moving defenseman," Drury added, "and we are certainly thrilled to add Neal to our organization."

When asked about how he felt after helping land the prized UDFA prospect Chris winked toward me and said "It made my weekend"

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
What's this guy's ceiling? Any NHL comparables?

A lot can change with new coaching and a different level of hockey. However, I saw a lot of similarities with James Wisniewski. Both righties with big shots who can skate well and move the puck efficiently. Pionk has a bit of a bite to his game as well. Not necessarily to the extent that Wisniewski did, but he likes to lay the body. Unfortunately, sometimes he takes himself out of the play to do it. Some holes in his game in his own end, but he should be an excellent fit on a team that likes to counter-attack like the Rangers do.

He and DeAngelo should be a lethal combination on the PP in Hartford this year.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
He and DeAngelo should be a lethal combination on the PP in Hartford this year.

Sweet to imagine, got me thinking

Go with 3 D on the HWP PP, drop Pionk to left circle, Tony on L point, Graves on R point, Boo to distribute, and a w like Gropp or Tambo to screen and finish

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Sweet to imagine, got me thinking

Go with 3 D on the HWP PP, drop Pionk to left circle, Tony on L point, Graves on R point, Boo to distribute, and a w like Gropp or Tambo to screen and finish

I think Graves will get 2nd unit time. He's a decent PP option because of his shot, but he lacks the footwork to be a constant threat, IMO.

Could see Tambo being that guy to DeAngelo's right. That's where he made his living in Junior and he has the shot and release to be a threat if he's being spoon fed passes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad