Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Free Agent D Neal Pionk

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Of the problems that Wisniewski had--he wasn't reliable defensively, he wasn't disciplined--note the 5 or 6 suspensions he had during his not all that long NHL career and he became injury prone--at least 4 or 5 concussions and maybe more--plus a lot of other stuff. A lot of the above can be found listed on his TSN profile page.

Personally I hope Pionk turns out better in all those things.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Of the problems that Wisniewski had--he wasn't reliable defensively, he wasn't disciplined--note the 5 or 6 suspensions he had during his not all that long NHL career and he became injury prone--at least 4 or 5 concussions and maybe more--plus a lot of other stuff. A lot of the above can be found listed on his TSN profile page.

Personally I hope Pionk turns out better in all those things.

Yeah I'm strictly comparing styles here, and like I said, while Pionk has an edge it isn't nearly to the level of Wis'.

Pionk has some things to learn in terms of D in his own end, but his skating allows him to be a very capable defender on the rush.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Harvard stud is a little much. No? If the Rangers are counting on Kerfoot as an answer to their hole at center,it will be a very long season.

It really depends on how they project him. AV and Gorton have already deemed this season may be a bit of a transition. Any center will be insulated with this group of wingers.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
To me Pionk might be more comparable to a Torey Krug---now Krug has his share of defensive lapses and I suspect Pionk will too. Both are smart and a bit undersized defensemen with very good hockey IQ--very good offense from the blueline kind of games. There is a bit of an edge with both of them--though not as much as Wisniewski but Wisniewski never seemed to learn from certain mistakes. It's one of the reasons he moved around so much.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
So that's what we're calling him,"Pionky?" I was hoping for Nealy-P or Granpapi Peabody...

I remember Wisniewski's ******* motion. Classic...

Why in the hell are people pigeonholing a college 1st line C as an AHLer when he's not even pro yet?

Last edited:

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
We're definitely back in contention with our first really good offensive D in 13-14 years... other teams will regularly $hat upon (ridiculous that they'd censor out the archaic past-tense of that, but ok)... Pionk's point shot better be good with a name like that is all I know.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'd say poor man's Letang over Faulk since Faulk doesn't have an edge to his game. Kid can skate and crank shots though, so let's hope he keeps developing at the rate he's been these past two years.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Since we're dropping mad names, I'd say he compares to Paul Coffey only much better, maybe Leetch or Lidstrom... poor man's god...

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Since we're dropping mad names, I'd say he compares to Paul Coffey only much better, maybe Leetch or Lidstrom... poor man's god...

i still suspect Stralman, and that would suit me fine,
as long as he doesn't wait to find his full game with his 3rd and 4th team ...

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Stralman's path is very unique... had it not for Slats, he likely would be in the SEL for good. And, while originally billed as an offensive D, it turned out to not be a natural asset of his, people here have me thinking that he's 40 pts. or bust...

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Stralman's path is very unique... had it not for Slats, he likely would be in the SEL for good. And, while originally billed as an offensive D, it turned out to not be a natural asset of his, people here have me thinking that he's 40 pts. or bust...

More like Tortorella who gave him a lot of tough love but Stralman responded to that in the best way possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad