Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Free Agent D Neal Pionk

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
If the P is indeed silent, I'm going with Yonk. Yea, Neal Yonk. That's the ticket.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Pionk was playing in the USHL when Greeley was still at BU recruiting players. Greeley knows all of those players. He probably tried to recruit Pionk to BU. I heard him on Boston University hockey podcast after he left BU. They tried to recruit players from all over North America. Greeley tried to recruit Jack Daugherty to BU. Minnesota boy. He went to Wisconsin. Greeley would be the guy to scout Pionk in college too.

He was also teammates with Ryan Mantha before the Rangers drafted him in 2014 and he moved to Niagra. Brock Boeser was on that USHL team too.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Man, the kid really can blast it from the point.

Really liking what I read about/see from him. Can skate, shoot, pass, decent on D, plays with a mean streak? Sign me up.

The Pedrie signing struck me as mostly just organizational filler, but Bereglazov and Pionk look to be legit FA Dman prospects to me.

Continue to love what Gorts is doing ever since his first offseason as the man in charge.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Not only a willingness, but the ability to put a legitimate quality slapper on net and challenge the goalie.

That's it. Some of our D can shoot, but they're not good about being accurate or getting it through traffic.

Camp should be crowded, and that's always nice to have.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
We already have Marc Staal

no_michael_bluth.gif

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Man, the kid really can blast it from the point.

Really liking what I read about/see from him. Can skate, shoot, pass, decent on D, plays with a mean streak? Sign me up.

The Pedrie signing struck me as mostly just organizational filler, but Bereglazov and Pionk look to be legit FA Dman prospects to me.

Continue to love what Gorts is doing ever since his first offseason as the man in charge.

I know there's a constant argument over Sather moves vs. Gorton moves, but there is a dramatic differetnce in the approach since the end of the 2015-2016 season, as opposed to the prior year, when Sather's presence was still being felt.

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I don't think Girardi is going anywhere. Staal, maybe. But even that's a reach.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I know there's a constant argument over Sather moves vs. Gorton moves, but there is a dramatic different in the approach since the end of the 2015-2016 season, as opposed to the prior year, when Sather's presence will still being felt.

I still think the big test will be this offseason. There's gonna be a lot of moving parts, but he has an opportunity to really remake the blueline and farm system. How creative is Gorton willing to get? Will they manage a strong return for Raanta? Is he smart enough to use Hayes as a trade chip to grease the wheels either on dumping a bad contract or making a big acquisition? Does the acquisition of all these skilled UDFAs signal a change that will carry over into their drafting approach?

We're gonna find out very quickly imo because the leadup to the expansion draft presents all kinds of trade opportunities. Ideally, they bundle Hayes and one of Staal/Girardi for a 2nd-7th round pick, then extend Smith at favorable terms before he hits free agency, and use Hayes' protection slot on Lindberg. Turn Raanta into a late first too.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
It could definitely be argued these are moves to replace Klein Holden or Smith and not one of G or S

That's a good point. They could also serve as backup plans in case Smith can't be re-signed or Girardi and Staal can't be moved or realistically bought out.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Brooks openly talking about a G buyout makes me think there's something to it. His opinions are usually garbage but he seems to get fed reliable info.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Brooks openly talking about a G buyout makes me think there's something to it. His opinions are usually garbage but he seems to get fed reliable info.

The buyout stinks though . I've read he gets less money in later years so a cap floor team may take him

I'd likely keep Girardi another year and eat 50 in Staal to move him out for a kid

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I'm hoping Girardi play in the PO's is enough for some team to take a chance on him even if we have to retain half. Not that he's been good, but he hasn't looked as bad as he did the past 2 regular seasons.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Girardi and Staal are career Rangers. They have built their entire lives in New York. Their children go to school here. And they both have NMC. Trading either of them at 50% retained is a pipe dream. Why would they waive it at all, much less to a cap floor team?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Girardi and Staal are career Rangers. They have built their entire lives in New York. Their children go to school here. And they both have NMC. Trading either of them at 50% retained is a pipe dream. Why would they waive it at all, much less to a cap floor team?

Girardi's NMC modifies on July 1. There will be teams he can be traded to.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Girardi's NMC modifies on July 1. There will be teams he can be traded to.

List of 15 teams he can't be traded to, correct? I have to assume all of the cap floor teams are most likely on there.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
List of 15 teams he can't be traded to, correct? I have to assume all of the cap floor teams are most likely on there.

Probably. Frankly, I think the concept of cap floor teams looking for players who get paid less than their cap hit is overstated. We've seen almost none of those deals over the years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad