Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign David Desharnais (1 year x $1M)

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Still think we will see...

Kreider - Zib - Buch
Nash - One of Bozak/Bjugstad/De Costa/other - Zuc
Vesey - Hayes - Miller
Grabner - One of Andersson/Nieves/Desharnais - One of Puempel/Jensen/Carey/Schneider
Fast on LTIR until November :headache:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
For 1 mil? Fine signing.

The offseason is barely a few weeks old and we have already made tremendous progress. DD and his uber annoying last name will at most be a 4th liner.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
There is zero chance DD is played over Zibanejad or Hayes. Give me a break.

Assuming he makes the team there's certainly a chance. I wouldn't expect to see him starting in front of either of those two, but if the team is struggling? I could absolutely see him getting shifts with the top lines. He's not Blair Betts, he has fifty point seasons under his belt. I understand his best days may be behind him but it's not outside the realm of possibility that he gets some shifts with talent, clicks, and sees a few games with an expanded role.

That said I don't even know that he makes the final cut. Lots of time between now and the season for additional moves.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
Didn't rate him when he supposedly was good and productive up in Montreal. But for a million bucks he got some good hands can't deny that. All for having a playmaking bottom center but, no defense first center at the club is a bit worrisome.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
there was a game he played in the top 6.

sigh.

The thing about Glass wasn't where he was slotted into the lineup... it was how and when AV decided to use him.

Even stapled to the 4th line, Glass often saw key minutes.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Assuming he makes the team there's certainly a chance. I wouldn't expect to see him starting in front of either of those two, but if the team is struggling? I could absolutely see him getting shifts with the top lines. He's not Blair Betts, he has fifty point seasons under his belt. I understand his best days may be behind him but it's not outside the realm of possibility that he gets some shifts with talent, clicks, and sees a few games with an expanded role.

That said I don't even know that he makes the final cut. Lots of time between now and the season for additional moves.

I agree, and since there is no clear hierarchy with our wingers anymore (You could argue Zucc and Kreider are the #1 options, but they rarely play together) I suspect the choice of centers will be more about chemistry.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Kreider - Zib - Buch
Nash - One of Bozak/Bjugstad/De Costa/other - Zuc
Vesey - Hayes - Miller
Grabner - One of Andersson/Nieves/Desharnais - One of Puempel/Jensen/Carey/Schneider
Fast on LTIR until November :headache:

I dont think Buch will play with Zib and Kreider. Think Kreider-Zib-Zucc will be the top line. With the loss of Stepan that line will need to do alot of the heavy lifting in terms of playing against other teams top players. Dont think AV will give Buch that kind of responsibility.

Btw Bjugstad doesnt fit with our style of play at all. He is also injury prone and overpaid.
I would love to trade for Bozak to be a center in our middle 6 if Leafs arent asking for alot. Only one year left on his contract and he is a very solid center.

Last edited:

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
I prefer Nieves to be a 4th line center, he will have to go earn it.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I really like this signing especially at the term and cap hit. DD got a ton of crap in Montreal because expectations were that he would be a 50 point offensive center which he isn't. If we put him with a guy like Fast on one side and a bigger body who can skate on the other as our 4th line he should be capable of 25-30 points.

fm

Jul 28, 2016
Let's be serious... this mf gonna be our no. 1 C by December and we all hate him by Christmas.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Can't criticize this deal at a mil to replace Lindberg. Really interesting career too-- went undrafted only to dominate so hard in Montreal's low minors that they called him up, eventually putting up a couple of 50+ point seasons (and a PPG in the lockout year.)

It looks like he's past his prime, but as a 4th liner a la Dom Moore i'm interested.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i guess ill file this under "not crazy about the player but at that price, i can live with it".

would prefer boo nieves got a legit shot. and andersson as well.

this guys best days have passed but he's a vet and a pretty smart centerman.

not enough to get worked up bout though.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
nhl tonight take is that he is good offensively if paired with good players but awful defensively

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
nhl tonight take is that he is good offensively if paired with good players but awful defensively

This is about right. Desharnais is a wonderful passer who is good at finding soft spots in the offensive zone. He has a good shot, but he passes up on using it far too often. He struggles along the boards (no shock) due to his small size/lack of strength. That said, he'll go to the net for rebounds; he's not afraid to get into the dirty areas. Put him with a big winger who can shoot (Vesey/Miller) and a player who can generate shots (Zucc/Buch). He's definitely an NHL player, and one who can certainly contribute offensively. Just give him soft minutes with skilled players and he'll produce.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad