Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign David Desharnais (1 year x $1M)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't like Desharnais at all and Jokinen even at 2.1 million would be a better fit there.

He's a better defensive player than Desharnais and the versatility would help. Good shootout player as well.

Every player that they've signed and zeroed in on this offseason, there has been word of. The fact that there was no word of them even trying to reach out to Jokinen alarms me a bit.

I'm hardly "alarmed" by the team not reaching out to a particular bottom six player that I guess they didn't like.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Every player that they've signed and zeroed in on this offseason, there has been word of. The fact that there was no word of them even trying to reach out to Jokinen alarms me a bit.

Okay.

The franchise is going to be crippled because they may not have reached out to Jokinen.

Mhmmmm. Sure. My alarm bells are ringing for the Rangers potentially not talking to some non-special bottom 6 player.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I don't like Desharnais at all and Jokinen even at 2.1 million would be a better fit there.
He's a better defensive player than Desharnais and the versatility would help. Good shootout player as well.

guess we differ,
i am always against signing guys > 34 as UFAs
i think a natural C with a 40-assist season plus 2 30-assist seasons could help a team with an unreliable PP.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I'd rather bring in Deshardin, whos dream ceiling is 2009-2010 Vinny Prospal, than 2010 Olli Jokinen except almost a decade older.

Edit--see the xonvo was about Jussi...didnt know he played C.

Last edited:

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Wish the little guy well. Tremendous passer, but not really good at anything else. Can still fill in as a 2C when injuries hit.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The problem is that this has "AV's favorite toy" written all over it.

Ahh yes, this is where you take a position where the Rangers are weak personnel wise, and then blame the coach for deployment. RD last season. Center this season. We can just fast forward to next off-season.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Ahh yes, this is where you take a position where the Rangers are weak personnel wise, and then blame the coach for deployment. RD last season. Center this season. We can just fast forward to next off-season.

I'd say playing DD up a line because of depth issues is way different than playing the worst defenseman in the NHL 20 minutes a night, crippling your star D-man captain in the process, when you have possibly less worse options stapled to the bench.

DD is a good bottom 6 tweener. Girardi is an AHL player.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I'd say playing DD up a line because of depth issues is way different than playing the worst defenseman in the NHL 20 minutes a night, crippling your star D-man captain in the process, when you have possibly less worse options stapled to the bench.

DD is a good bottom 6 tweener. Girardi is an AHL player.

Then why was Tampa so quick to sign him? Im not arguing that Girardi should've been a sheltered 3rd pairing guy, but so should all of our right handed defensemen.

This worst defenseman in the NHL/AHL player is just hyperbole and part of the echo chamber around here.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Then why was Tampa so quick to sign him? Im not arguing that Girardi should've been a sheltered 3rd pairing guy, but so should all of our right handed defensemen.

This worst defenseman in the NHL/AHL player is just hyperbole and part of the echo chamber around here.

Because Yzerman is not as godly GM as most people think he is? There is literally no defending the signing.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005

Because he's a name. Every year some awful player gets signed because hes been in the league for forever. Someone will probably sign Tanner Glass. We gave him 3 years.

Is it? He was an abomination using regular stats, advanced stats or the eye test and was the worst RD on the team with probably the worst RD in the league.

Desharnais being over used is a potential concern not just because AV sometimes makes baffling lineup choices but also because it was a problem in Montreal.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
jeez will the Girardi bashers ever just be satified?
they got what they wanted, he is gone from NYR,
let it go already
it was sooo boring for the last 2 years, please, no more ....

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
jeez will the Girardi bashers ever just be satified?
they got what they wanted, he is gone from NYR,
let it go already
it was sooo boring for the last 2 years, please, no more ....

No. Its a conspiracy to make you sad.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Something interesting about DD HERO Charts that I found.

It's no secret the Habs have gotten worse over the years--they've relied on insane goaltending and PK Subban up until the 2016-17 season. If you look at DD's HERO charts from the past few years, he had better than average stats until you look at the latest sample when they took a nose dive, which of course, that nose dive is when the Habs were a collectively crappy team (2015-16 and 2016-17). I can't find the advanced stats other than what Hockey Reference has listed, but DD has been a 51% Corsi Player the last 2 years on a crappy Habs team taking top 6 time that he should not have been given because of his idiot coach.

The only odd statistic here is that on Edmonton he was a 46% corsi player, but that could be due to the fact that Edmonton's bottom 6 was pretty shallow

I have a good feeling we get a lot out of him this year under AV.

2013-15
FSf6ie0.png

2014-16
GyysHni.png

2015-17
p6WeaC1.png

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/d/deshada01.html
https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/MTL/2016.html
https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/MTL/2017.html

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Lost all faith in Gorton.

:speechles

I just hope this is not a new trend here - we`ve yet to start the training camp. :laugh:
If we struggle to get points early in the season - let`s say after 10 games - maybe it`s a good sign to look after other options concerning AV.

https://www.nhl.com/player/david-desharnais-8471976

He had some good seasons for sure in NHL - it looks like he was injured in the 2015 season, and struggle to get back in good condition in NHL. Maybe he is injury prone - it looks like it when I look at his NHL career - kind of worried about this signing too.

But guys - David Desharnais is not the person who will decide Rangers`s destiny in the new season, and how we are going to do in the 2017-2018 season. He will probably start on our 4th line.

OT Goal - David has a quick release on his wrist shot! :) <<<< https://www.nhl.com/oilers/video/desharnais-game-winning-goal/t-277437406/c-51612703 >>>>

Last edited:

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Hoping DD can chip in a few assists and just not be a liability in the 10 minutes of ice he will get per game.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Hoping DD can chip in a few assists and just not be a liability in the 10 minutes of ice he will get per game.

I suspect that DD is an insurance policy in cast Miller does not work out at C (or in case of an injury). Nieves probably has an inside track to be 4C playing those 10 min/game.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England

If Tanner didn't kill us for his 10 mins, then DD certainly won't. DD may even be able to maintain possession or complete a pass successfully unlike Glass.

The league has changed and having a modicum of skill on the 4th line is no bad thing. Sure a sneeze from the equipment guy on the bench will knock DD off his skates, but I don't mind a match up of him against some of the slow and positionally unsound 3D pairings in the league.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Unless the Rangers move Miller to center it looks to me like Desharnais is going to be the third line center and probably doing about 14 minutes a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->