Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign David Desharnais (1 year x $1M)

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I'm not super sensitive in any way actually. I just feel like if a group of people have already been handed a tough life genetically why would I want to use a word that they feel is hateful?
NickyFotiu, well said.

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
He will be fine as a 3rd or 4th line center. Still need one more player in the Top 6. Honestly don't have tunnel vision and focus on centers only. A high end winger can be just as important.

Use to hate DD when he was a Hab... but love him as a Ranger!:laugh:

DD is not good enough to play on the top 2 lines and sure as hell is useless on the third or fourth line. He can make a decent pass.. howeve, almost never has the puck on his stick as he can not win a puck battle. On the few occasions he has the puck, the opposition has learned to just cover his wingers, as he never shoots!

On the bright side DD is decent at shootouts... and even then he sometimes forgets to shoot!

Good luck to DD and the Rangers..

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I hated him purely for the reason that when we played Montreal I would sometimes have to listen to the Montreal feed play by play where they say everything normally in English until suddenly DESHARRRRRNAIS the proper French way with the rolled R

It annoyed me so much

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I hated him purely for the reason that when we played Montreal I would sometimes have to listen to the Montreal feed play by play where they say everything normally in English until suddenly DESHARRRRRNAIS the proper French way with the rolled R

It annoyed me so much

I always enjoyed how the Montreal PA system would say his name, actually.

In fact my first thought anytime I see him mentioned is

DA VEED

DEY

ARE

NEY

:laugh:

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
I always enjoyed how the Montreal PA system would say his name, actually.

In fact my first thought anytime I see him mentioned is

DA VEED

DEY

ARE

NEY

:laugh:

Michel Lacroix is the best in the business. And "Desharnais" is a good example of both French types of "e" sounds. Like "café au lait," lol.

/e/ versus /ɛ/

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Not really a guy I want in our bottom 6. He's so little. But whatever. Like others have said, he may go the way of Gerbe.

I'm sure he's on the team as of now even w 1 C added

Kreider , Zib, Zuc
Buch, Miller, Nash
Grabner , Hayes , Vesey
Puempel ,Desharnais , Fast
Call up Boo ,Jensen , Carey , Schneider

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Use to hate DD when he was a Hab... but love him as a Ranger!:laugh:

DD is not good enough to play on the top 2 lines and sure as hell is useless on the third or fourth line. He can make a decent pass.. howeve, almost never has the puck on his stick as he can not win a puck battle. On the few occasions he has the puck, the opposition has learned to just cover his wingers, as he never shoots!

On the bright side DD is decent at shootouts... and even then he sometimes forgets to shoot!

Good luck to DD and the Rangers..

You guys made up your mind on him when he was resigned and touted as a No 1 C with MaxPac and Gallager/Cole if I remember it correctly. Which to a large extent was understandable. That doesn't turn him into a worthless player. ;)

Its too early to speculate on lines, but I am not at all that sure that a line with say Vesey-Desharnais-Fast will be that worthless. DD is a really tenacious forechecker and player in general, also moves the puck well. So is Fast, and Fast is also decently strong on the puck and also is really smart with it and good at keeping it within the team. A guy like Vesey is strong and good with the puck, good size. I think that is a line that would have some great looks for example.

In EDM he was brought in to make a 3rd line, wasn't a great option. I think he will be OK on our 4th line with the support he will get, and our 4th won't play as a checking line anyway. Last year it was a skill line with Buch and Pirri on it for long stretches for example, so claiming that is too bad for a 1-2 line and worthless on a 3rd-4th is not really in line with how AV matches his team.

He is also a french Canadian, so there is absolutely zero risk that AV will not make him a favorite and at least sneak him in on opening night. :sarcasm:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Again though, biggest reason for why to add him is to be able to handle a 82+ game season. There is a difference between being worthless but capable -- which any team can survive with at the odd position -- compared to just not capable. Desharnais can be worthless but he is still capable of playing in bigger roles too. If you get what I mean.

We will get injuries, and some could very well come at the center position. For 5/10/20 games, a Desharnais like centering Rick Nash is far from a good option, but he is capable of handling the raw requirements for that role. If you have to put in like a Jorris centering a top line you have to take the game plan for that line and throw it up and completely change how it plays and use it as a dump and chase checking line, being forced to make adjustments like that mid season is always a complete mess and can really screw a team. Make it lose its footing.

Going into this season we definitely could have survived with Nieves as our 4th and I am sure both Gorton and AV is somewhat comfortable with the planned starting line-up for opening night. But what if Zib breaks a leg? Hayes pulls a groin? Miller gets a concussion? 2 of those 3 scenarios happening at the same time? Anything, and we all of a sudden risks facing a season ending crisis without any back-ups. Of course it would still be very bad even with DD, but we are still so much better of with him than without him in that situation. Like a Vesey-DD-Nash line can still play the way our top 3 line plays if you get what I mean. DD is good in some situations and would make some very good plays in that role, while being porr in many other situations.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
get well soon Jesper. we are gonna need you to retrieve pretty much every puck that goes deep into the oppositions zone.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I bet he'll be playing a bit with Nash and Zucc so they can keep Miller Hayes Grabs and Kreider Zib Buch lines. With Nash and Zucc he with 2 solid 200 ft players and two guys who can do all the puck possessing and board battles.

So what the Montreal fan said above would all be cancelled out and he can just use that accurate passing to get them the puck.

The guy dominated at lower levels and has had 50 and 60 point seasons in the NHL in the past. I don't think it would be out of this world to think he could be a 35-40 pt guy with a couple decent line-mates who can cover up for his inadequacies.

Nash - DD - Zucc would be like Gandalf - Sam - Frodo line

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I'm not super sensitive in any way actually. I just feel like if a group of people have already been handed a tough life genetically why would I want to use a word that they feel is hateful?

Agreed.

I don't think it's necessarily meant to be hateful, but I think it's just unnecessary, and it categorizes a person when there's more to it.

As far as the signing goes, I would've liked Jokinen instead, but given the fact it's 1/1 is something you can't really complain about. Why rush our picks? Give them time.

They might leave Miller on the wing, and it gives us that much more depth.I'd love to squeeze Jokinen into that lineup somehow.

Kreider - Zib - Buch
Nash - Hayes - Zucc
Vesey - JJ - Miller
Grabner - DD - Fast
Puempel

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Terrifying to have this guy in the lineup with AV as coach. Think Christensen with Gaborik, but much worse.

DD is a black hole player like Glass/Girardi/Staal.

Christensen/Gaborik was Torts' doing. I know AV isn't liked on here by quite few but can we stop making **** up?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'm sure he's on the team as of now even w 1 C added

Kreider , Zib, Zuc
Buch, Miller, Nash
Grabner , Hayes , Vesey
Puempel ,Desharnais , Fast
Call up Boo ,Jensen , Carey , Schneider

Hayes will get a first crack at #2C.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Aside from the fact I can easily see him becoming an AV boy toy, it's a whatever signing.

Claxton

Sep 30, 2007
Christensen/Gaborik was Torts' doing

I thought that would be implied without saying so.

Christensen had his moments. DD can be that guy but his usage should be limited. The trauma from AV misusing the d in the past is concerning in that sense.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I thought that would be implied without saying so.

Christensen had his moments. DD can be that guy but his usage should be limited. The trauma from AV misusing the d in the past is concerning in that sense.

AV missued Girardi and Staal. That's it.

It's a good depth signing. DD will play in bottom 6.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
You guys made up your mind on him when he was resigned and touted as a No 1 C with MaxPac and Gallager/Cole if I remember it correctly. Which to a large extent was understandable. That doesn't turn him into a worthless player. ;)

Its too early to speculate on lines, but I am not at all that sure that a line with say Vesey-Desharnais-Fast will be that worthless. DD is a really tenacious forechecker and player in general, also moves the puck well. So is Fast, and Fast is also decently strong on the puck and also is really smart with it and good at keeping it within the team. A guy like Vesey is strong and good with the puck, good size. I think that is a line that would have some great looks for example.

In EDM he was brought in to make a 3rd line, wasn't a great option. I think he will be OK on our 4th line with the support he will get, and our 4th won't play as a checking line anyway. Last year it was a skill line with Buch and Pirri on it for long stretches for example, so claiming that is too bad for a 1-2 line and worthless on a 3rd-4th is not really in line with how AV matches his team.

He is also a french Canadian, so there is absolutely zero risk that AV will not make him a favorite and at least sneak him in on opening night. :sarcasm:

Ola, I think the bolded part is what has many people thinking that DD will become AV's boy toy...maybe he will, or maybe he will become another Maxime Lapierre, from last years camp...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad