Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign David Desharnais (1 year x $1M)

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
figure he'll be on the 4th line between grabner and fast (once fast returns). not sure how that will work. certainly not a traditional 4th line

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
He'll be serviceable if his body holds up... he's a good character guy with skill... but he's provided diminishing returns for a while. $50K hit in the minors... not a big deal if he doesn't contribute.

Rangers need to move a plugger on D for a center. Get a guy that needs a look in the NHL, by moving Holden or get a guy that needs a change with a higher cap hit by moving Staal.

Holden for Jonny Brodsinki is something I would do any day of the week.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
figure he'll be on the 4th line between grabner and fast (once fast returns). not sure how that will work. certainly not a traditional 4th line

True. However, not many (if any) 4th line in the league will a bigger threat in the offensive zone. Our scoring depth was a part of our "success" last season.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Or he'll go back to being a 50 point player again (which he has been for much of his career) with the PP time he gets and playing with NYR's wingers.

Could be either of these or anything in between.

I'm optimistic about him returning to that 50 point form, but I don't see how with Jesper and whomever as his linemates. If we play him on the 3rd line, then there is a glaring defensive weakness? I dunno. AV's job to figure that out. I'm still hopeful of getting a better than 3c.

We are close.....but still that weakness at center. Somebody blindfold McDavid.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
TBH, I'm confused by this signing. Based on the salary he's coming in to replace Lindberg but he doesn't seem to have a strong defensive game. Then 3C? More likely / appropriate role but with declining offensive game there's uncertainty he'd be able to perform in this role. Plus does it mean that Hayes will be our default 2C?

Edit: Maybe he'd be the 13th forward to insert into lineup for injuries.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Every. Coach. Has. Those.

All of them.

Go to any other board and ask. It is unfortunate but it happens. And lets be honest. Even if he becomes AV's favorite toy, he is miles better than Glass.

Exactly. It's too bad AV's favorite toy was someone like Glass who offered the bare minimum in terms of value.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
We are close.....but still that weakness at center. Somebody blindfold McDavid.

Novel approach. Interesting. But 'how' is the question. And won't Edmonton start looking for him? I guess we could only run him out there for games in the East. So we still need a solution for our-of-conferences matches.
But this is a good start.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I still don't understand how a player AV has never coached or has no connection to at all is assumed to become his "pet"

I mean it could happen but it's just such a random fear.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I still don't understand how a player AV has never coached or has no connection to at all is assumed to become his "pet"

I mean it could happen but it's just such a random fear.

Maybe I can offer an explanation: He was Therrien's pet in Montreal. It is well known AV and Therrien are great friends.... 1+1=2 :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Novel approach. Interesting. But 'how' is the question. And won't Edmonton start looking for him? I guess we could only run him out there for games in the East. So we still need a solution for our-of-conferences matches.
But this is a good start.

I'm sure they would look for him in the offensive zone, and then maybe their end. After that, he would be deemed missing.

And that would be about 75% of games, right? Sit him the rest and make Edmonton still look for him. Hope they don't have NHL ticket.

RangerFan10

Ok, so Gorton signs this guy over Jokinen?

What in the actual **** was Gorton thinking?
I don't think it's something to get up in arms about. Not particularly impressed with what Jokinen brought to the table last season. He's also been playing more left wing than center.

It also happens every offseason that our fan base assumes if we were to offer the same contract to a player, they'd 100% sign here instead of their landing squad.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Maybe Jokinen didn't want to come here.

Let's trust our management just a little as for the most part they do pretty well.

Desharnais is a solid signing. I think Jokinen at $1.1M is definitely better value though.

I don't think it's something to get up in arms about. Not particularly impressed with what Jokinen brought to the table last season. He's also been playing more left wing than center.

It also happens every offseason that our fan base assumes if we were to offer the same contract to a player, they'd 100% sign here instead of their landing squad.

I don't like Desharnais at all and Jokinen even at 2.1 million would be a better fit there.

He's a better defensive player than Desharnais and the versatility would help. Good shootout player as well.

Every player that they've signed and zeroed in on this offseason, there has been word of. The fact that there was no word of them even trying to reach out to Jokinen alarms me a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad