Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign David Desharnais (1 year x $1M)

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'll hedge my bets on the 23 year old to look better after getting out of the two ********* franchises in the NHL being better than the small aging DD. I mean it's only $1M so whatever, but I'm not crazy about it. Wouldn't be surprised if he's waived by January

Probably a good thing if he's waived by January. Means we found a better option, and either he's picked up, or makes it through to Hartford with no penalty :dunno:

Claxton

Sep 30, 2007
Terrifying to have this guy in the lineup with AV as coach. Think Christensen with Gaborik, but much worse.

DD is a black hole player like Glass/Girardi/Staal.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I will say this---I'd rather have Desharnais for $1 mil per than Kruger for $3 mil+ per. Desharnais can be buried in the minors or do what Lombardi or Gerbe did when they didn't make the team out of training camp--go to Europe. Kruger I think would be more likely to make the team but his cap hit for a 4th line center who doesn't have a lot of offense is ridiculous.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Paille all over again

Nah, DD is better than Paille, Gerbe and co. Besides last season, he is over 0.5 PPG in each of his last five seasons I think.

MTL basically used him as a top 6 center, even No 1 center for a while. As such, he was a huge disappointment of course. But he is very strong at getting the puck up ice, think he could work well with guys like Vesey and co. Great skater with good hands, works really hard. Of course very light, but can be a bit of a pain to play against.

Sure, if we manage to get a hold of a top guy and some kid steps up, I wouldn't rule out that he is lost in the shuffle like Jooris was, who was dumped despite playing decent hockey.

But the big upside with Desharnais -- and the reason I thought of and proposed him several times the last months -- is that he function very well as depth at center since he definitely is capable of fulfilling the raw requirements on all lines. Odds are that Zib, Hayes and Miller will miss a fair share of games this season. It creates a lot of issues if you like have to replace a Zibanejad with a Jooris, but for shorter stints DD can take those shifts without bringing down everyone around him.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Nah, DD is better than Paille, Gerbe and co. Besides last season, he is over 0.5 PPG in each of his last five seasons I think.

MTL basically used him as a top 6 center, even No 1 center for a while. As such, he was a huge disappointment of course. But he is very strong at getting the puck up ice, think he could work well with guys like Vesey and co. Great skater with good hands, works really hard. Of course very light, but can be a bit of a pain to play against.

Sure, if we manage to get a hold of a top guy and some kid steps up, I wouldn't rule out that he is lost in the shuffle like Jooris was, who was dumped despite playing decent hockey.

But the big upside with Desharnais -- and the reason I thought of and proposed him several times the last months -- is that he function very well as depth at center since he definitely is capable of fulfilling the raw requirements on all lines. Odds are that Zib, Hayes and Miller will miss a fair share of games this season. It creates a lot of issues if you like have to replace a Zibanejad with a Jooris, but for shorter stints DD can take those shifts without bringing down everyone around him.

Is he a great skater? The MTL and EDM guys seem to say otherwise.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Meh. Fine with this as depth. Not fine if he starts the season in the top 9. The roster is obviously still a work in process.

Agree. Other than an ability to move up the depth for a short period of time in a case of an injury, whoever else they bring for the other center spot is better be better.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Depth signing that is essentially a try-out. Doubt management considers this a solution to our C problem.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Worst comes to worst he doesn't make the club. As long as he is a cheap signing we still kept our powder dry to make a better move if one becomes available.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I don't get the hate here. He's not the solution I'm pretty sure no one in the organization thinks that. They have plenty of contracts left, it's just for 1 year and can be buried with no penalties.

Low risk high reward with his offensive history.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Midgets like him seldom has great speed going the length of the ice, but he is really quick and agile.

I don't know how things are in Sweden but that word has become thought of as a slur here in the USA.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Depth signing that is essentially a try-out. Doubt management considers this a solution to our C problem.

No of course not, but we got 82 and hopefully then some games infront of us next season. Pirri was definitely an asset for us last season. Gave us a punch at times and provided back-up at others.

Desharnais is very far from a solution in a top 9, but he definitely has potential to serve as a Pirri type at least and hopefully even contribute some more.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don't know how things are in Sweden but that word has become thought of as a slur here in the USA.

Ok thanks. And it made me think of a guy that hehe lets say shares my last name who got into problem referring to poor people as "small people" in US media...

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Use to be a Desharnais fan, not fast enough for his size, he's terrible a puck protection, can't win battle and is always on the ice after a faceoff. That being said, works hard and great in the locker room

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
a cheap good depth signing that can easily be waived if it doesnt work out.I'm not sure whats not to like about it

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
I don't get the hate here. He's not the solution I'm pretty sure no one in the organization thinks that. They have plenty of contracts left, it's just for 1 year and can be buried with no penalties.

Low risk high reward with his offensive history.

There is always hate on this board no matter who we sign, draft, or receive in a trade. Par for this course

For a million bucks, this is a decent signing.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Nash-Miller-Zuccarello
Vesey-Andersson-Hayes
Grabner-Desharnais-Fast
Jensen

Or if Andersson doesn't make the team, move Hayes to center, Grabner to 3RW, Jensen to 4LW, and Carey to 13F.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Only if you're super sensitive.

I'm not super sensitive in any way actually. I just feel like if a group of people have already been handed a tough life genetically why would I want to use a word that they feel is hateful?

rvdnsx

Jun 30, 2003
He will be fine as a 3rd or 4th line center. Still need one more player in the Top 6. Honestly don't have tunnel vision and focus on centers only. A high end winger can be just as important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad