Pre-Game Talk: Rangers @ Pittsburgh 4/16/16 3:00 PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfranz94

Jan 16, 2014
New York
It really is alarming how fast Girardi's descent was. Largely in part to injuries I'm sure but the guy was in an NHL all star game just 4-5 years ago and there were people putting him in Norris trophy talk. It's really crazy how quickly he fell off. The game has passed him by.

He was never very fast to begin with, and one would think that all those blocked shots over the years, have really taken a toll on him. I LOVE the guy for what he's done for the rangers, he's a GREAT guy and teammate, but he's just not any good anymore, and should not be getting the playing time he's getting. It's just so tough to watch his horrendous performances game after game, all while knowing what he has done for this team in he past. The guy is still a tremendous teammate, gives it his all every night and will still jump infront of any shot. He just can't play NHL hockey at a competent level anymore. It's just sad:shakehead

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
This.

The guy might be 31, but when you add in all the additional playoff games, and the way he plays with the shot blocking, his actual age is probably on the wrong side of 35. I don't see him ever regaining any of what made him such a steady defenseman.

I'd like to see him retire at the end of the season and the Rangers find a spot in the organization for him.

And leave 23 million dollars on the table? Why would he?

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
I am simply talking about how fast they declined and how bad they truly were near the end.

Look. Dan Girardi is not good at hockey any more. You know what? I still love the guy as a player. He has been a warrior for us for many years, blocked an ungodly amount of shots and has been the ultimate team player. Despite the lackluster ending to his career, he will always remain one of my favorite Rangers because you don't get more dedicated than Dan Girardi. It doesn't change the fact though that much like Chris Drury, the type of game he plays has led to a steep decline in his overall abilities.

I am not mindlessly trashing the guy because I have a vendetta against him (as some people do). I am stating the facts. Dan Girardi isn't an NHL player any more. It is a sad thing because I have enjoyed watching him suit up as a Ranger for a long time. He has been a rock of consistency at a time where we as fans didn't know what that word was (after the atrocity of 1997-2004).

However, just like Frank Sinatra sang in the song "My Way":
And now, the end is near
And so I face the final curtain
My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain

The end is here for Girardi. I want to see him go out with dignity and hopefully a cup (because I think we can all agree that the guy damn well deserves it). The problem is, for us to win that cup, he can't be a big part of it.

Whether its rust, illness, injury or (gasp) Vigneault is coming to his senses... whatever it may be that is causing uncertainty with him, it is in the best interest of the team that he not play.

It is as if I wrote this myself. Completely agree. And just like AV, I didn't realize this until after game 1.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
"It's the whole thing."

Unbelievable.

I have no idea what that means and I can still easily read between the lines.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
The Klein/Staal pairing is a shutdown defensive-role pair - quite obvious if you ask me. The Rangers have always had a shutdown pair when playing Caps/Pens - whether it's McD/G or G/Staal.

On the other lines, Yandle needs to be balanced with McIlrath, where Boyle and the really non-experienced Skjei can somewhat contribute to offensive situations.

The coach can throw out whatever player he wants at any given time too, so... Yanno...

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 4m4 minutes ago
Lundqvist says eyesight was blurry and couldn't focus after hit by stick in Game 1.

Lundqvist he was feeling better by the time he went to bed on Wednesday night.

CgGmbcfW8AI1g_l.jpg

BarbaraAlphanse

"It's the whole thing."

Unbelievable.

Reading Btwn the lines on this one... It is that he isn't good enough to play on the top 6 anymore. And they're allowing him to save face.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
The Klein/Staal pairing is a shutdown defensive-role pair - quite obvious if you ask me. The Rangers have always had a shutdown pair when playing Caps/Pens - whether it's McD/G or G/Staal.

On the other lines, Yandle needs to be balanced with McIlrath, where Boyle and the really non-experienced Skjei can somewhat contribute to offensive situations.

The coach can throw out whatever player he wants at any given time too, so... Yanno...

the concept of "shut down pairs" which, clearly, the Rangers do subscribe to; are stupid and always have been. the idea that we send out players to "play defense" against top players is the worst self-fulfilling prophecy in hockey. Damn right a pair with Marc Staal's corpse on it is going to play defense, because his ability to drive the play is horrendous. Yandle should be seeing top competition with Klein if that's the direction we're going (we shouldn't be).

We should be icing the best possible pairings, especially with Pens having last change regardless.

"It's the whole thing."

Unbelievable.

Sounds like a healthy scratch to me.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I am simply talking about how fast they declined and how bad they truly were near the end.

Look. Dan Girardi is not good at hockey any more. You know what? I still love the guy as a player. He has been a warrior for us for many years, blocked an ungodly amount of shots and has been the ultimate team player. Despite the lackluster ending to his career, he will always remain one of my favorite Rangers because you don't get more dedicated than Dan Girardi. It doesn't change the fact though that much like Chris Drury, the type of game he plays has led to a steep decline in his overall abilities.

I am not mindlessly trashing the guy because I have a vendetta against him (as some people do). I am stating the facts. Dan Girardi isn't an NHL player any more. It is a sad thing because I have enjoyed watching him suit up as a Ranger for a long time. He has been a rock of consistency at a time where we as fans didn't know what that word was (after the atrocity of 1997-2004).

And now, the end is near

The end is here for Girardi. I want to see him go out with dignity and hopefully a cup (because I think we can all agree that the guy damn well deserves it). The problem is, for us to win that cup, he can't be a big part of it.

Whether its rust, illness, injury or (gasp) Vigneault is coming to his senses... whatever it may be that is causing uncertainty with him, it is in the best interest of the team that he not play.

Well said.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I personally like yandle and mcilrath. They've played well together and if AV actually gave kid a chance that would have been a more than capable second pairing. In fact a very good one.

Mickaleen

May 8, 2012
Upstate NY

And now, the end is near

Perfectly stated

Jan 8, 2012
NY
After watching Girardi block Ovechkin shots and get hit all game long for years and barely ever miss a game, I don't buy that he's currently too injured to play a playoff game. This is a healthy scratch veiled as an injury.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I can understand playing Girardi over McIlrath even if I don't like it because "longtime vet, going with his guys, etc etc" but if AV calls up Diaz to play instead of McIlrath that's just plain ****ing dumb as **** and shows he's playing favorites wayyyyyyy more than he should be.

Diaz has been injured for how ****ing long, hasn't played or practiced with the team since training camp, and you want to throw him into the lineup in the playoffs? Dumb dumb dumb. I hope it's just him thinking about further injury replacements if something more happens down the road.

AV really needs to get the **** over it with McIlrath. I'm not sure that I think he hates him or anything but there's a clear double standard between how he treats Girardi and Staal versus McIlrath that seems like it goes beyond vets versus rookies and it's irritating as ****. The Rangers need McIlrath to develop into a solid player for them for the future and AV needs to get over whatever it is that bothers him about the guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad