Pre-Game Talk: Rangers @ Pittsburgh 4/16/16 3:00 PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The real victim here is Glass. If the Rangers play like **** again in Game 2, Glass is going to be responsible for 60% of the GDT and nearly every reason we didn't play well.

Get your rest Tanner.

Metranger

May 22, 2015
The Panthers are so much more fun, and I think better than the Rangers.

A non sequitur statement but whatever.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
The real victim here is Glass. If the Rangers play like **** again in Game 2, Glass is going to be responsible for 60% of the GDT and nearly every reason we didn't play well.

Get your rest Tanner.
I always thought teams didn't play their "enforcers" during the playoffs. We need skill, as much as possible, in the lineup. It's the playoffs.

Hockey Gamer

Mar 2, 2015
Love that McIlrath is going into the lineup. Feel for G, but it's been time. A lot of people around these parts are going to take a very microscopic look at McIlrath during the game tomorrow (assuming it is him who plays and not Diaz). It will be interesting to see the things McIlrath gets shredded for around here by those who wouldn't do the same for Girardi.

Still have confidence in this team to take this series... for some reason.

I feel the same. Win game 2 and I think we ultimately come out on top.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Watch the full q/a with him, he said his eye felt better after the initial treatment at the bench and he felt good enough to finish the period. It only started getting bad during intermission when the swelling increased and he couldn't focus well.

If that's true, he did nothing wrong, but that isn't what was originally posted here.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I wonder what the official word is going to be for why Girardi is not at practice. If he's a legit healthy scratch, or if he's legit injured (issues from Boyle hit coming back?)

They're simply trying to prevent embarrassing him by calling it an injury. AV and his "its the whole thing" comment is really getting to me.

On top of thay, Girardi should have the absolute hell embarrassed out of him for the performances he's given this season. Guy has been nothing but a 7th defenseman (this season) and has gotten one of the longest leashes I've ever seen a player get.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
long-term IR is in his future

I really hope so... If he legitimately cannot play without having soreness it's a huge relief for all parties -- Girardi (gets his money), the team (cap hit drops), and AV (stops relying on him so much)

*Bob Richards*

To be honest, I think Girardi has earned the facade of calling it an injury (even if it isn't one).

He's out and that's all that matters.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I agree there - you cannot SIT back and wait for them to come, you can't be content with the opposition like Crosby having the puck, you can't *accept* that he's so good that he's automatically going to have the puck, so in a way that mentality is like you're collapsing, trying to protect the house.

On the contrary, that shows a lack of confidence, but there really aren't any players better than Crosby man, there's few exceptions where you have to respect his game and play a shutdown role. You have to give him some respect, but I understand that if you have someone like Yandle out there, there's less of a chance for him to have the puck... BUT, when Crosby does get the puck, head for the hills with Yandle out there as the guy who is going to be on him consistently, it's a Catch 22 thing.

It's a game of Chess, and that's why Hockey is so ****in' beautiful.

BTW I appreciate and thank Girardi for his services and what not the past decade, but it's over man. He's absolutely toasted, whether he's been beaten down from how many games he's played and how many times he's gone to the post season. He's done though man, and it's time to face reality. He was great and I liked him for his time being, but he hurts the team now. I was in denial for a while when early adopters said this, but he's really, really starting to show it. The only problem is everyone thinks it's easy to plug in Skjei and McIlrath and everything will be fine - the experience helps more than others think, even when you have turned into garbage. That's just my opinion, of course.

Management should have done the right thing and gave McIlrath split time between him and Girardi consistently. When McIlrath went on a stretch and played really well and our other assets were back from injury, you don't kick a kid to the curb, especially how well he was playing - we're sending the wrong message and he should have sat him when he had a bad game and gave some competition in the backend to actually fight for those positions. As corny as it may sound, you can **** up a kid's psyche that way, and stint his development slightly. We're not in the locker room, we don't know if there was an understanding between McIlrath and management where he gave him the low down right away, "McIlrath, you know your spot, you're the 7th guy here and you're only going to play when there are injuries" - there's certain things us fans don't know about locker rooms - it's sacred stuff.

The last half of your post is whats been getting at me... Either management is stupid and cannot analyze whats in front or them, or they simply waited WAY too long to make a decision on Girardi. There was never any reason to play Girardi more than 15-17 minutes/game after game 25 of this year. It was clear that he was over his head, and even more clear that he was declining incredibly steeply... There was also no reason to keep him on the top pairing. The yandle-girardi pairing was fine as it was, and quite frankly all management needed to was alternate McIlrath and Girardi. This would have been better for the teams D pairing consistency as well as Girardis health.

This assumes signing him long term was a mistake too...

Lastly, I cannot seem to understand why AV needed to wait until game 2 of the playoffs to finally admit what is wrong (total body soreness means he can't play anymore)... It's been game after game of Girardi looking like utter garbage--both eye test and Analytics.

I want to blame someone, but I'm not sure if it's AV, Gorton, or Girardi himself.

I'm just glad they finally did something to rectify this. the guy is done.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
They're simply trying to prevent embarrassing him by calling it an injury. AV and his "its the whole thing" comment is really getting to me.

On top of thay, Girardi should have the absolute hell embarrassed out of him for the performances he's given this season. Guy has been nothing but a 7th defenseman (this season) and has gotten one of the longest leashes I've ever seen a player get.

I strongly disagree. He deserves public humiliation because he's not good anymore? It's not like he's dogging it. His body has broken down and he simply is unable at this point to do what he's supposed to do.

Girardi is the longest tenured skater on the team, a home grown player, a guy who has given up his body at every single turn. If there's anyone on this team that DOESN'T deserve to be humiliated in the press, it's Girardi. Is it really his fault that his body has broken down and AV still uses him like a 1st pair guy? He still plays as hard as he can and with a ton of heart.

Sorry, but I'm happy AV chose not to embarrass him. I like Dan Girardi. He's very much an Adam Graves type in the sense that he's a good guy off the ice and I would like him to be a part of the organization when he retires. He simply makes too much money to play at the level he's playing at and most importantly, to perform in the role he's being utilized in. Honestly, that's on AV in the first place. He has all season to reduce Dan's minutes and start using him as a sparringly used 6D and PKer. Instead, he rode him all season. ATOI of 20:19 is 3rd on the team, second being Klein by 4 seconds.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I strongly disagree. He deserves public humiliation because he's not good anymore? It's not like he's dogging it. His body has broken down and he simply is unable at this point to do what he's supposed to do.

Girardi is the longest tenured skater on the team, a home grown player, a guy who has given up his body at every single turn. If there's anyone on this team that DOESN'T deserve to be humiliated in the press, it's Girardi. Is it really his fault that his body has broken down and AV still uses him like a 1st pair guy? He still plays as hard as he can and with a ton of heart.

Sorry, but I'm happy AV chose not to embarrass him. I like Dan Girardi. He's very much an Adam Graves type in the sense that he's a good guy off the ice and I would like him to be a part of the organization when he retires. He simply makes too much money to play at the level he's playing at and most importantly, to perform in the role he's being utilized in. Honestly, that's on AV in the first place. He has all season to reduce Dan's minutes and start using him as a sparringly used 6D and PKer. Instead, he rode him all season. ATOI of 20:19 is 3rd on the team, second being Klein by 4 seconds.

Then maybe I am directing my anger at the wrong person. I've been on AV all season for being stubborn about the fact that G couldn't handle those assignments anymore...

I guess, my personally, if I was in that spot, I'd probably go to the coach and tell him "look, I know you've giving me a ton of slack here, but it's obvious I can't play this role. Can we talk about reducing my role?" It's not even like the money is part of it--Girardi is paid what he is paid. It's not an embarrassment to be demoted to the 3rd pairing either--at least not as much as being scratched game after game, and quite frankly, the display Girardi has put on this year is probably more embarrassing than going to the 3rd pairing on his own volition...

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Then maybe I am directing my anger at the wrong person. I've been on AV all season for being stubborn about the fact that G couldn't handle those assignments anymore...

I guess, my personally, if I was in that spot, I'd probably go to the coach and tell him "look, I know you've giving me a ton of slack here, but it's obvious I can't play this role. Can we talk about reducing my role?" It's not even like the money is part of it--Girardi is paid what he is paid. It's not an embarrassment to be demoted to the 3rd pairing either--at least not as much as being scratched game after game, and quite frankly, the display Girardi has put on this year is probably more embarrassing than going to the 3rd pairing on his own volition...

Man...the "fans" will toss ya like yesterday's garbage. It's a good think he doesn't give a **** about these discussion. Otherwise, he'd jump off a bridge.

Girardi is a good guy. He played hard and very well for this team for years. So ****ing what that the coach gave him a chance to redeem himself for one last run. Should everything be interchangeable parts?

And as I've alluded to many times, RangersTown has been much harder on aging defenseman than wet noodle forwards for many decades.

I'm sorry that he fell apart quicker than expected. Like it or not, he may have been hurting the team when he wasn't playing well, but this team is way worse now that he can't play as he did. People are like goldfish with their memories.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
He said his vision was blurry and he couldn't focus. AV and the trainer asked him if he was okay. He lied and said he was fine, putting idiotic pride ahead of his teammates and the ultimate goal of winning.

I have said many times before that he might be the second best goaltender I have ever seen, so I clearly appreciate his abilities, but what he did was a selfish and stupid act.

If for example, one of the fans' regular whipping boys (Girardi etc.) had done the same thing, he would be justifiably roasted for it here. Selfish and terrible decision on his part, that could have had far worse consequences.

Our opinions on this board as posters usually differ but you are on the money here. Very poor choice to play with blurry eyesight. Hybris I suppose

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
[Ss phUOTE=TheTakedown;116974375]Then maybe I am directing my anger at the wrong person. I've been on AV all season for being stubborn about the fact that G couldn't handle those assignments anymore...

I guess, my personally, if I was in that spot, I'd probably go to the coach and tell him "look, I know you've giving me a ton of slack here, but it's obvious I can't play this role. Can we talk about reducing my role?" It's not even like the money is part of it--Girardi is paid what he is paid. It's not an embarrassment to be demoted to the 3rd pairing either--at least not as much as being scratched game after game, and quite frankly, the display Girardi has put on this year is probably more embarrassing than going to the 3rd pairing on his own volition...[/QUOTE]

I've probably started complain about Girardi long before it became fashionable. I've noticed his bad play especially in high pressure situations. I think the conference finals against the devil's I had his number.

Looking to blame somone? Don't blame Girardi. He has been a warrior in his early years. Blame Tortorella who wore him down to practically nothing , with his asinine shot blocking system.

Girardi's physicality was his strength , the body can only take so much

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Anybody ever wonder what is going through a guy's head who hides behind his computer and calls a professional athlete who is playing at the top level of his sport who has battled a career threatening concussion and a slapshot to the eye a "clown".? Staal does more charity work in a year than most of us will ever even consider doing in a lifetime. "Clown" just doesn't seem to fit. Sorry for the rant. That just really bothered me. Carry on.

Thank you for this post.

It is sickening to read similar crap so often.
Followed by
If that quote by Hank is accurate, he is a total **** for going back into the game.

:facepalm:

Anybody ever wonder what is going through a guy's head who hides behind his computer and calls a professional athlete who is playing at the top level of his sport a **** for making a mistake by trying to play even though a stick was jammed into his eye? (right after ridiculing someone else for doing something similar)

Especially when the team effing sucks anyway and has no cup chances bc of bad management and coaching

Last edited:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Followed by

:facepalm:

Anybody ever wonder what is going through a guy's head who hides behind his computer and calls a professional athlete who is playing at the top level of his sport a **** for making a mistake by trying to play even though a stick was jammed into his eye? (right after ridiculing someone else for doing something similar)

Especially when the team effing sucks anyway and has no cup chances bc of bad management and coaching

I wonder about people who can't understand what they read. Not really. Some people can't.

The original post quoted here is pretty clear, when taken alone. Nevesis then posted in response to me that it was not entirely accurate. I then wrote that if Nevesis wrote was true, my analysis would then be incorrect, but even in my original post I included a caveat based on whether it was actually true.

Whether or not you believe the team has a chance would be entirely irrelevant, anyway.

94wasagoodyear

Jan 19, 2014
We need Cap. Mac in the worst way...hopefully hes good to go in game 3. If we can somehow steal the game today...we'll have a good shot at taking this series.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Man...the "fans" will toss ya like yesterday's garbage. It's a good think he doesn't give a **** about these discussion. Otherwise, he'd jump off a bridge.

Girardi is a good guy. He played hard and very well for this team for years. So ****ing what that the coach gave him a chance to redeem himself for one last run. Should everything be interchangeable parts?

And as I've alluded to many times, RangersTown has been much harder on aging defenseman than wet noodle forwards for many decades.

I'm sorry that he fell apart quicker than expected. Like it or not, he may have been hurting the team when he wasn't playing well, but this team is way worse now that he can't play as he did. People are like goldfish with their memories.

Uhhh....Ok? I have not once seen anyone argue that Dan Girardi was not a warrior or good and serviceable player for us for years. The fact is, he's done now. He's awful and he's on a large contract for many more years.

Because he was good in the past should we say **** it and just be happy he's still playing? It's just such an absurd thing. People don't hate Girardi. People aren't arguing that he didn't use to do good things for us. People are upset that he is starting over a far superior player, who has upside and that we have spent tons of time and money (and a 10th overall pick) on developing. People are upset that he is not only starting, but being deployed on the first pair, a level he hasn't played up to in over 2 full seasons.

I am angry at AV. I am angry at the Rangers front office. I'm not angry at Dan Girardi and I don't question his effort. His talent was never top notch, but his compete level was. Now what talent he had has fallen off a cliff and the compete level can't make up for that. I'm sorry to see this happen, but I'd much prefer it didn't happen in a Rangers uniform or at the very least, when the Rangers have a team that is supposed to compete for the cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad