Rumor: Rangers looking to deal for D

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
You shouldn't give up Dagoon's sources just because someone PMs you. Mods word should be good enough, just saying.

I have sources too, they're not as reliable or as informative, but if I gave them to mods I sure as **** wouldn't want them telling other people because they PM'd you.

My $0.02

With that said, I'd much rather get rid of DZ than Staal. Understand that Staal certainly has more value though.

We don't give them out. We just state whether they are legitimate or not. That should be enough for everyone. If they don't like it, they can leave and ignore the thread.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
ROB SCUDERI
From the kings may be heading to ny. Staal may be in play because of cap space.

Watch for the devils to make a big splash Sunday bobby Ryan or Vinny L.

Thanks for the heads up.

I can't see Staal in anything but a Ranger uniform. If he goes something heavy better be coming back our way. I'm not talking about a draft pick either. I don't care how high it is. Staal was easily our best defenseman before the injury.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
The next person discussing a source in here is getting infracted and threadbanned. That's all.

We don't give them out. We just state whether they are legitimate or not. That should be enough for everyone. If they don't like it, they can leave and ignore the thread.

can a mod infract a mod? :laugh:

I just don't feel that Scuderi fills a need. He's not the type of D we need, and if we're getting him to replace Staal, there won't be much of a saving for a downgrade in skill

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
2 years ago staal is a franchise dman now people seem like they could not care one way or another if staal is dealt. Seriously?

More like two months ago!

I think Dagoon should be more specific. There is no way Staal goes for Scuderi. Makes zero sense. If he brings back a kings ransom?, well then it's a different story.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Now's not a time to be getting a king's ransom for Staal. Coming off a permanent injury is as low as we could possibly sell.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Now's not a time to be getting a king's ransom for Staal. Coming off a permanent injury is as low as we could possibly sell.

could also be the highest we could sell in case his career completely tails off. i love staal and i think he returns to top form. i was one of the biggest supporters of marc but if a good package is coming back that can help us immediately on offense you have to do it. theres always the possibility he doesnt come back the same player we haved seen much of him the last 2 years.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Dagoon I 100% respect your sources.

If the Rangers trade Staal they will regret it. HF will love it...the risks! But you don't trade players like Marc Staal. I hope Hank brings his A-game.

Crazed Beaver

Jul 3, 2012
Swamp
ROB SCUDERI

Wow, thanks for info. So beaver stays and staal is possibly dealt partially due to lack of cap room.
Lololololololol this sounds appropriate. So sad.......

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
We are the polar opposite of the flyers... They "solve" their D problems with more offense and we "solve" our offense problems with more D. Smh.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

I think Dagoon should be more specific. There is no way Staal goes for Scuderi. Makes zero sense. If he brings back a kings ransom?, well then it's a different story.

There seem to be a whole bunch of players available. When Slats call around, people will be asking for Staal. He is a good nr 1 D. For us, he has been injured alot. Staal has a great contract.

Scuderi puts us back at having 6 Ds if Staal is moved, albeit still 4L/2R.

richardsequalscup*

I don't believe there is any way they trade Staal unless he secretly has told Sather he wants to be moved to the Canes with his brother or he will not sign when is contract is up.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Staal/Boyle/#65 for 5th overall/Tlusty.

Perhaps.

unless Staal publicly asks to be traded and has a NMC and says "Carolina only" I am extremely unhappy with that return. Staal has definitely had a few bumps in the road with his injuries but a full training camp and I think he will still service as a top pairing and shut down d-man. 2nd to his vision, conditioning is what hurt him the most in his comeback. He couldn't sustain the pace. This is the franchise defenseman people used to say "no way we trade him unless a Malkin or Ovechkin type player is coming back so if he goes to Carolina, it better be for Skinner + 5th pick. And I think that is only acceptable because Staal is slightly damaged goods but he is for sure still excellent. I'm confident he'll return to his all-star form.

Janerixon

Jun 16, 2002
Visit site
1) Anyone who has been on this board for awhile knows Dagoon has sources, he broke the Kovy trade where people bashed him and in the end he was nails. I could have sworn he also broke Rupp being traded to the Wild most recently, but he has certainly been right in the past.

2) My friend's sister is married to Rob Scuderi, they are all Islander fans and when Scuderi was a free agent he was contacted by the Rangers and his family was pushing him not to come to Rangers. I wonder if that would be the case again or if he is interested in being closer to home. He is very friendly with Brian Boyle, when Scuderi had his Stanley Cup party Boyle was in a lot of the pictures... not touching the cup of course. Friends could be a factor in coming to NYR and back home.

3) Like many others here I am not on board with trading Staal, he would have made a huge difference in the playoffs had he been healthy and I doubt he is moved unless it is a deal too good to pass up. His value is an all time low, and before he had concussion problems his stats backed up he was the #1 shutdown defenseman in the game during 2010-2011 season, you don't trade that player to open up cap space. Sadly I see Del Zotto being moved first, we will see.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

I would think it would be two separate deals.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I am not privy to how much faith nhl gms have in medical reports. But i suspect staal's value is low with the eye question. So if he were traded i imagine it would be at a discount. But, of course, i have no nsight into his current value within the nhl gm world.

Als, i would like the rangers to keep staal anyhoe, if poss.

Janerixon

Jun 16, 2002
Visit site

Scuderi is a free agent, Staal will not be traded for him. Separate but related moves I'm assuming is what Dagoon meant.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Any NHL team would really need to be satisfied with the prognosis of Staal's eye to trade for him. Staal has a small tear in eye which caused his eye pressure to not be stabilized. The doctors tried different eye drops but nothing worked. The tear didn't allow the eye to regulate the pressure. Only rest will help Staal. The doctors expect the issue to be cleared up for training camp but who knows.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Staal should definitely get you into the top 5 picks--whatever else. If this is about cap space though getting a top 6 forward is probably not happening--maybe other prospects and then they save the money saved for Scuderi? He's probably going to take a large chunk of it anyway. Would have been much ****ing easier just pulling the plug on Richards.

Personally I'd rather move DZ. We have a left sider to move and I like defensemen who can play their position. His upside is Joni Pitkanen or Kimmo Timonen at best.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Thanks to the guys who are sticking up for me, I also broke torts firing a week before anyone else, this is why I hate this site and just don't post here any more, follow my twitter dagoon44 . I love the friends I made on here but the nonsense kills me
Hey dude I think dealing staal makes a ton of sense w the cap and they have macs, dz, Moore. Better get a ton though

I would say dz goes instead of staal though

Is scuderi not ld too though? Need a rd

Dec 8, 2010
Trading Staal for a first round pick is dumb. He's what you HOPE a top 5 pick develops into! And he's in his prime.

What are the chances you get a player that is just as good? 15%?

I think people are worried we're on the verge of losing another defensive regular (Sauer) and his value has dropped disproportionately. If his eye is a question mark, we're not getting a top 5 for him. No GM would be stupid enough to do that. If his eye is fine, you don't trade a franchise defenseman who looks on the verge of getting even better for an educated guess.

SupersonicMonkey*

ROB SCUDERI

Well, folks can say what they want about you, Dagoon. You are an interesting character and stand by your opinions and that's a good thing.

But what you've proven in the past is, you have connections, and more often then not when you post something like this, it comes true. Most recently, you posted something about Clowe, about a week or so later, there was Clowe in a Rangers uniform. Tortorella. Boom, no more Tortorella.

So, IMO, if we do trade Staal, it's gotta be Carolina i'd assume. Tlusty+McBain+1st. Or, if Tyler Seguin is available, how about Staal for Seguin? Franchise D for franchise C. Or how about to Colorado for Matt Duchene? Edmonton for Eberle +1st.

A LOT of options in a Staal trade.

Scuderi? Ehhhhhhhhh they could do much better.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Trading Staal for a first round pick is dumb. He's what you HOPE a top 5 pick develops into! And he's in his prime.

What are the chances you get a player that is just as good? 15%?

I think people are worried we're on the verge of losing another defensive regular (Sauer) and his value has dropped disproportionately. If his eye is a question mark, we're not getting a top 5 for him. No GM would be stupid enough to do that. If his eye is fine, you don't trade a franchise defensive who looks on the verge of getting even better for an educated guess.

Personally I wouldn't do it either. I'd be working Del Zotto and figuring on adding something. That being said Staal has missed significant portions of the last two seasons with head injuries. And though it's debatable I think McDonagh is as good as Staal defensively and has more upside in other areas of the game. If I were to rank our d-men McDonagh would come in first. The emergence of Moore into the mix is another factor--the perception of him maybe as a McDonagh clone and then Scuderi--sounds like our defense should continue to be really solid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad