Confirmed with Link: Rangers acquire Jack Roslovic from Columbus for a 4th round cond. pick.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I don’t see what’s wrong with referring to analytics immediately after a trade. Who says the people using them won’t adjust their opinions after getting to watch the players? I guess the people complaining have been spending their free time grinding through Chad Ruhwedel tape

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
People keep bringing up how bad his team is but he's played a lot of minutes with Johnny Gaudreau who is a machine at even strength. Roslovic's strong goal-based metrics are heavily inflated by his Gaudreau minutes.

You talk about playing with talent but we have nothing close to Gaudreau outside of Panarin.

When we put him on a line that already sucks, he's not gonna be productive. And at least the other options can defend.

This has Vatrano written all over it. An intriguing skillset but ultimately a guy we overplay. The line will be a disaster and everyone will just ignore it when they score a couple of nice goals.
to be honest if they score a couple of nice goals that will be an upgrade

Reactions: UnSandvich

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
People keep bringing up how bad his team is but he's played a lot of minutes with Johnny Gaudreau who is a machine at even strength. Roslovic's strong goal-based metrics are heavily inflated by his Gaudreau minutes.

You talk about playing with talent but we have nothing close to Gaudreau outside of Panarin.

When we put him on a line that already sucks, he's not gonna be productive. And at least the other options can defend.

This has Vatrano written all over it. An intriguing skillset but ultimately a guy we overplay. The line will be a disaster and everyone will just ignore it when they score a couple of nice goals.

Both Jack and Johnny were substantially better with each other than apart. When Jack wasn't with Johnny he was usually playing with a kid or an underperforming vet in a depth role, so it's not surprising that he popped more on the top line.

I also haven't seen it mentioned here but Jack fractured his ankle in November and took a month or so after returning to get his wheels back. So that will change how this year's numbers look. Maybe don't take the analytics too seriously on that. He's always been an inconsistent player in general so a big drought might have happened anyways.

In Columbus we expected a big yearly disappearing act from Jack. I like this move for the Rangers though because going deep in the playoffs always requires a bit of luck, and you might just get a top line caliber forward out of Jack for the whole run. That or nothing.

But when he's on, he's a top line forward, unquestionable top line skill. He can do everything when he's on. The most frustrating thing about his game, which he's improved at lately, is the first pass after the zone entry. Jack can pass and he can gain the zone with ease with his speed, but he would often overthink his first pass after gaining the zone or make some dumb drop pass to nowhere. He's not Panarin. But you can get a lot of value out of him if you can get him to simplify, the basic skills are good enough to put up points without any magic required.

Playing with good players like Zibby and Kreider should be good. I know they're not 5v5 play drivers but Jack can handle a lot of zone entries and they're good enough scorers that you hope he'll just make a simple pass out of respect for what they can do. It's when he tries to make the pass of the year that things go off the rails.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Underlying numbers still have Gaudreau as one of the best chance creators in the sport. His production has been down because Columbus couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat.

Roslovic is sort of part of that, but he has an unsustainably low shooting percentage so I would take his finishing with a grain of salt.

Also, he's a passer which plays well with who he's gonna be with.

I just don't necessarily buy that he was dragged down by his environment. This is the player he is for better or worse.
I think it’s also fair to say he wasn’t elevated by who he was playing with. Change of scenery and environment may give him a bump, but yeah, I think he’s basically who we see this year.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Good trade. Another possible cheap resign. I like our chances getting him out of Cbus. I don't hate them, but they have been a mess for a long time so that can work to our advantage. It could also backfire. I give it 50/50. Haha

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
didn't know he had a busted ankle this season. last 13 games he's scored 13 pts. most of those were hooked up with gaudreau and werenski. that ankle has healed quite nicely by now.

also in the past he's done well with atkinson and bjorkstrand. based on this i have to think he can ball with bread, fox, tro, kreider, zib, etc.

this guy was a late 1st round pick at one time, which we got back for our 4th. when this guy is playing well he's a real pain in the ass to deal with.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
How much has Roslovic actually played with Gaudreau? I thought he was demoted and was being moved between center and wing at times. He’s a much better winger…

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I’ve tuned into what I can, and Gaudreau has been ass this year I don’t think you could convince me otherwise. Do you watch all of Cbus gamesv?
Nobody has which is why people rely on other data.

I don't feel strongly about Rozlovic; it's the analytics shit posting that gets me in a bad mood.

Other people disagreed with what I initially said, but they posted other numbers, or discussed his specific skills, or the fit of where he'll be playing. That was intriguing and softened my stance a bit.

Responses like "you posted a chart so I'm going to loudly not take you seriously" or "you're wrong because did you see the last game?" are useless.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I still think that. This makes the team better in the sense that winning $10 is better than winning $9.

I also literally said the 4th round pick isn't worth caring about.
Every NHL player they can add helps. He can play center and wing and can skate. He’s also scored 13 points in his last 11 games and was a menace against the Rangers the last 2 games. It was a solid move as was Wennberg. They all help.
Both Jack and Johnny were substantially better with each other than apart. When Jack wasn't with Johnny he was usually playing with a kid or an underperforming vet in a depth role, so it's not surprising that he popped more on the top line.

I also haven't seen it mentioned here but Jack fractured his ankle in November and took a month or so after returning to get his wheels back. So that will change how this year's numbers look. Maybe don't take the analytics too seriously on that. He's always been an inconsistent player in general so a big drought might have happened anyways.

In Columbus we expected a big yearly disappearing act from Jack. I like this move for the Rangers though because going deep in the playoffs always requires a bit of luck, and you might just get a top line caliber forward out of Jack for the whole run. That or nothing.

But when he's on, he's a top line forward, unquestionable top line skill. He can do everything when he's on. The most frustrating thing about his game, which he's improved at lately, is the first pass after the zone entry. Jack can pass and he can gain the zone with ease with his speed, but he would often overthink his first pass after gaining the zone or make some dumb drop pass to nowhere. He's not Panarin. But you can get a lot of value out of him if you can get him to simplify, the basic skills are good enough to put up points without any magic required.

Playing with good players like Zibby and Kreider should be good. I know they're not 5v5 play drivers but Jack can handle a lot of zone entries and they're good enough scorers that you hope he'll just make a simple pass out of respect for what they can do. It's when he tries to make the pass of the year that things go off the rails.
So a pretty good pickup for a 2026 4th rounder.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I don’t see what’s wrong with referring to analytics immediately after a trade. Who says the people using them won’t adjust their opinions after getting to watch the players? I guess the people complaining have been spending their free time grinding through Chad Ruhwedel tape
Referring to analytics is ok but people using them like they are gospel without watching the player is lazy. So basically you're saying lets formulate an opinion by looking at a chart and changing that opinion when they actually watch them play. How about not making definitive statements about a player until you have actually seen him on the ice. I have seem him play about 10 games this year and he has looked pretty good. Guy can skate and has skill. Getting him for a 2026 4th rounder with retention is absolute robbery.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Referring to analytics is ok but people using them like they are gospel without watching the player is lazy. So basically you're saying lets formulate an opinion by looking at a chart and changing that opinion when they actually watch them play. How about not making definitive statements about a player until you have actually seen him on the ice. I have seem him play about 10 games this year and he has looked pretty good. Guy can skate and has skill. Getting him for a 2026 4th rounder with retention is absolute robbery.
Nobody does this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad