Euro: R16: England v Germany, 6/29/2021

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Sure, but are the players who would replace them at the level that they were when they were World Cup winners?

Sometimes it’s ok to say “it’s not our time” or “we’re not at our best, we’re in a transitional period” or something.

As i mentioned elsewhere, if you read comments here from just about every team that’s been eliminated, they’d all have you believe that only their coach, and nothing other than the coach, kept them from a long run, or even winning the tournament.
Indeed. Often it's simply the players available. Not everyone has the stars available that you need most of the time.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Indeed. Often it's simply the players available. Not everyone has the stars available that you need most of the time.
I buy that more when the coach doesn't have players available to him that would've addressed clearly visible problems with the roster that would have mitigated the limitations we were working with :dunno:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
My expectations depend on the talent level. I just see a s*** of talent with a good foundation to play the kind of football Flick has shown an aptitude for encouraging...as long as we can get just 1 higher end CB out of Süle / Tah / Torunarigha / Bella Kotchap / Arrey-Mbi / Dardai / etc.:

Gnabry/Werner*
Musiala/Wirtz - Havertz
Gosens - Kimmich - Goretzka - Baku
Uduokhai - ___ - Klostermann
ter Stegen

*Moukoko / Adeyemi

Yeah, that's a team I expect to contend under Flick, even if it's starting Hummels again next summer because we have to wait for one of the teenagers to anchor the defense.
Honestly, that looks like a downgrade from our team from 2014.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Honestly, that looks like a downgrade from our team from 2014.

I don't disagree, but a) teams have won tourneys with less talent than we had in 2014, and b) I think the gap is all because of the CBs.

Kimmich-Goretzka are an upgrade on Khedira-Schweini in the deeper midfield. Gosens & Baku would provide more than Howedes & Lahm on the flanks. While Havertz & Musiala/Wirtz are (arguably) even more gifted than Mesut & Müller...though, obviously, we have yet to see if they'll reach (or even surpass) the same heights.

Give that group a prime Hummels and I'd put our best 11 up against anyone's...including our 2014 vintage.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I don't disagree, but a) teams have won tourneys with less talent than we had in 2014, and b) I think the gap is all because of the CBs.

Kimmich-Goretzka are an upgrade on Khedira-Schweini in the deeper midfield. Gosens & Baku would provide more than Howedes & Lahm on the flanks. While Havertz & Musiala/Wirtz are (arguably) even more gifted than Mesut & Müller...though, obviously, we have yet to see if they'll reach (or even surpass) the same heights.

Give that group a prime Hummels and I'd put our best 11 up against anyone's...including our 2014 vintage.
I don't quite agree. Schweini had bite in him and he played great defense. I don't see that from either and I think you nèed that from a deep midfielder, at least from one. Agree on Khedira, though. I don't see peak Lahm in either Gosens or Baku (Baku will be good, I was impressed from what I saw), but fully agree they are better than Höwedes (who gave me the shudders),. The jury is out on the rest for me (I think Musiala will be sp7ecial, though). Yeah, centre backs. A glaring hole. What happened? We always had a great CB.

Reactions: Lauro

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't quite agree. Schweini had bite in him and he played great defense. I don't see that from either and I think you nèed that from a deep midfielder, at least from one. Agree on Khedira, though. I don't see peak Lahm in either Gosens or Baku (Baku will be good, I was impressed from what I saw), but fully agree they are better than Höwedes (who gave me the shudders),. The jury is out on the rest for me (I think Musiala will be sp7ecial, though). Yeah, centre backs. A glaring hole. What happened? We always had a great CB.

Kimmich is excellent defensively and Goretzka brings plenty of physicality. Lahm was obviously better than either Gosens or Baku, but the gap was smaller than the gap on the other flank. The future will tell with the young attackers, but at this stage, Havertz & Wirtz look really special too.

Süle & Tah stagnated around 22-23. If either of them had developed as hoped we'd have had a much smoother transition. But since Tah got complacent with Leverkusen and Süle had a rough couple of years, we're stuck with no one to replace Hummels/Boateng but second tier talents like Ginter / Rüdiger / Koch

Torunarigha getting hammered with injuries hasn't helped either...as he's looked really good when healthy...so here's to hoping we have a lot more luck with kids like: Bella Kotchap, Arrey-Mbi, Dardai, Thiaw, etc.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Kimmich is excellent defensively and Goretzka brings plenty of physicality. The future will tell with the young attackers, but at this stage, Havertz & Wirtz look really special too.

Süle & Tah stagnated around 22-23. If either of them had developed as hoped we'd have had a much smoother transition. But since Tah got complacent with Leverkusen and Süle had a rough couple of years, we're stuck with no one to replace Hummels/Boateng but second tier talents like Ginter / Rüdiger / Koch

Torunarigha getting hammered with injuries hasn't helped either...as he's looked really good when healthy...ditto Klostermann.
Agree on Süle and Tah. I had high hopes for them but they just didn't develop. I don't doubt that Kimmich is good defensively but Schweini had bite on top. Yeah, Goretzka is physical but is not quite there. I hope they develop nicely.

Reactions: gary69

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Agree on Süle and Tah. I had high hopes for them but they just didn't develop. I don't doubt that Kimmich is good defensively but Schweini had bite on top. Yeah, Goretzka is physical but is not quite there. I hope they develop nicely.

Again, I don't necessarily think either one brings exactly what Basti did, but I think the combination brings what he & Sami did and more.

Yeah, I'm still hoping that Nagelsmann or Tuchel can get Süle back on track the way Pep did Boateng...but realistically we're going to have to wait/hope for one the teenagers until we have an elite CB again.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Discouraged Germany! Not the first time in last Years. Unfortunately!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad