Euro: R16: England v Germany, 6/29/2021

member 305909

The ghost which must have haunted Southgate for the past 25 years has now probably been expelled forever.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well, both managers put out relatively risk averse line-ups out there which was disappointing.

If I were Low, I would have gambled a bit more.

In any event, England deserved the victory.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
So, since Germany was eliminated in the group in 2018, apart from embarrassing themselves in the nations league, losing to North Macedonia at home in a WC qualifier, get beat in couple of games by shocking scorelines, literally the only thing they’ve done in the 3 years since then is kick the crap out of Portugal.

You forgot "being outplayed and struggling for dear life to somehow get a draw against the football powerhouse Hungary" in your list...

In all honesty, Loew's refusal to add a proper 9 to his squad ever since Klose (and to an extend Gomez) retired is pretty much symbolic for the massive fall from grace for the team. The team is just lacking a robust classic 9, thats good in the air and get you those dirty goals.
Also in the absence of a proper 9, I found the total and utter refusal to try shots from distance even more puzzling. Its clearly instructed, but the game plan of walking it in close and chip it past the keeper isn't going to win you a big tournament...

Lastly, in my book the worst player on the team was Toni Kroos and it wasn't even close. From the first minute of the France game he looked like he didn't want to be there and just tried to shovel the ball on. For a man that was hyped up as being so integral to the German game plan, I was missing any bit of on-field leadership, movement or effort. He should have been benched after the France game for Goretzka. Hopefully Flick moves on from him fast...

Reactions: NyQuil

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
He's gone now. That is cause for celebration regardless of how it happened!

Well, both managers put out relatively risk averse line-ups out there which was disappointing.

If I were Low, I would have gambled a bit more.

In any event, England deserved the victory.

You guys don't seem too distraught about the outcome. Resigned that this was the inevitable conclusion?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You guys don't seem too distraught about the outcome. Resigned that this was the inevitable conclusion?

I think expectations going into the tournament were pretty much at an all-time low.

The fact that Low wasn't sacked prior to the start meant that the DFB didn't really think much of this one.

Reactions: Suiteness

member 305909

They shouldn't start planning the parade-route yet in England but three years ago when they blew that WC semifinal against Croatia I thought they would never have another chance like that again.

However, they aren't comfortable being favorites but they are much better than Sweden, Ukraine, Denmark and the Czechs. If they lose it is because they can't control the pressure.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They shouldn't start planning the parade-route yet in England but three years ago when they blew that WC semifinal against Croatia I thought they would never have another chance like that again.

However, they aren't comfortable being favorites but they are much better than Sweden, Ukraine, Denmark and the Czechs. If they lose it is because they can't control the pressure.

England could easily go out and lose to Sweden or Ukraine.

I assume there will be an emotional letdown after this intensely hyped match-up against Germany.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Some reputations are earned through years of hard work, like S E P H, others like AB, are able to establish their reputations right away!

The nerves clearly got to him against France. He's talked about how nerves affected him at the start of the season in england, and I suspect the same was true of the first half against france...as his touch was awful...though he picked it up in the second half and has been great since then.

He is...which is why I wanted to give him 10-15 minutes in the 2nd half...but tonight just wasn't his night. That turnover to end the first half should've been a dead give away.

Though ultimately this was a flawed team. Even with the issues that have prevented Süle, Tah & Torunarigha from replacing Hummels & Boateng, things would've looked very different for us if Jogi had bothered to integrate Baku so Kimmich could play in Kroos' spot next to Goretzka/Gundogan.
It was a flawed team. I was just defending Rüdiger and the first goal was on him. Just broke the line and left his man open. That defensd just was not well organised. I don't lnow if others could have done better. I assume they train and the coach sees it. But it was definitely a weak point. Creativity going forward was non existant as well. I don't follow the U teams so I really don't know if there is anything to pick from, but apart from the wings there is certainly a lot we have to improve. We need a box player, centre backs, a 10, a 6, depending on where Kimmich is going to play, and who knows how long Neuer's gonna be available. I have high hopes for Musiala, though. I like his style and perseverance.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
And I fear it will not get better with Flick. There is only so much you can do with the players available.

Disagree, the CBs are a concern, but I'm very interesting to see what Flick does...as the talent pool should be there to put together a very strong team over the coming cycles if we get a little better luck in defense next season.

U26
F9
: Gnabry / Werner // Moukoko / Beier / Nmecha
LF: Wirtz / Musiala // Thielmann / Burkardt
RF: Havertz / Sane // Adeyemi / Samardzic

LWB: Gosens // Netz / John / Jakobs / Katterbach
6: Kimmich / Neuhaus / Maier // Stiller
8: Goretzka / Geiger // Rhein / Reitz
RWB: Baku // Mbom / Massimo / Kurt

LCB: Uduokhai / Torunarigha // Dardai / Arrey-Mbi
BFG: Ginter* / Süle / Tah // Bella Kotchap / Mai
RCB: Klostermann / Kehrer // Thiaw / Aidonis / Aliu

*turned 27 in january

Last edited:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I predicted 2-0 England FWIW. This Germany team sucked and couldn't create offense. It's really been coming for years. Flick won't be able to fix it overnight as some of the problems will require longer term development (fullback & striker shortage, lack of a true holding midfielder). In some ways I'm relieved actually because when you point out all the problems about the national team, people will gaslight you and act like you're imagining things. I felt like after the Hungary match 90% of folks in the German camp and larger public went into total denial mode and just refused to accept that the team really hasn't played convincing football in several years. All this talk of "England suits us in Wembley" as if the current teams have anything to do with the teams of 1990 and 1996. If England wins the whole thing, some people's brains would explode because of how much they rely on cliches in their 'analysis'.

Reactions: I am not exposed

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

We could've won this one, so it was certainly annoying to lose unnecessarily, but Jogi is who he is :dunno:

No point getting upset about that anymore, he's finally gone!

Last edited:

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
And I fear it will not get better with Flick. There is only so much you can do with the players available.
Well, I do agree with @cgf that it will be at least fresh. The cycle was far too long, and considering tournament progression, he shouldn’t left after they won.

But you’re right too, in that Germany just came off a super high level of a generation, who some have left and other are past their best. They were an A+ quality side for years, and if you drop down to a B+ level, the difference eólio be shown in the results.

He should’ve left in 2014, there is desperate need for something, anything different, but the fact is that the last 3 years for Germany were likely to be much more difficult, with less impressive results than the decade preceding them, no matter who was in charge.

member 305909

Germany these days is definetely a second tier team. Will they be able to rebuild and become a force to be reckoned with or is this low ebb going to last a long time? Will be interesting to see. Löw clearly overstayed his welcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad