Euro: R16: England v Germany, 6/29/2021

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Really feels bad now because Germany squandered a route that would have seen them get pretty much a bye into the semi's.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Honestly, Germany more than anything just needs to settle on a system and lineup on defense. The coordination problems had a bigger impact this Euro than talent deficiencies. Ginter and Hummels simply played like strangers at the back, which they essentially are as a CB duo football-wise.

Reactions: cgf

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
If it was for the team I wouldn't mind England winning the tournament finally, but with the fans and the media it's just inevitably going to become an insufferable Brexit party.
I think the english fans should just put their heads down and wish the day gone by. You're right.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hopefully you can see the humour in this thread from an English standpoint.

Edit: I was not happy with Southgate's selection.

I do, but that's purely because of hindsight. If Werner or Havertz take their chances just a little better, any of the questionable scenes result in a red, or Jogi brings Musiala & Gnabry on around the 60min mark like he should have; then you'd have probably been completely right to have been mad at Southgate for his team selection despite the talent advantage he had to work with....as it was overly conservative, even if it worked out in hindsight.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I was hoping we'd lost. I didn't want to upset anyone with my joy.
I hate the English having fun. Just hate it. Prefer watching Line of Duty, Broadhurst, Happy Valley, Game of Thrones, and just secretly sucking off any Brit in my miserable life. :thumbu:

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
There's a lot of people that hate the English.
I don’t think it’s that people hate the English. I think when it comes to football, people like to see them lose because of the unearned aura of superiority that their media and fans carry around.

They have a quality team now, and have had some in the past, but to this day this a national team that has not ever once beaten a true contender in a knockout game away from home in the entire history of tournament football.

Yet, even when they show up with a buch of clumsy, awkward players devoid of creativity abd technical ability, the narrative that they’d be amongst tournament favourites persists. That’s why people like to see their team lose. Not for hating the English.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I do, but that's purely because of hindsight. If Werner or Havertz take their chances just a little better, any of the questionable scenes result in a red, or Jogi brings Musiala & Gnabry on around the 60min mark like he should have; then you'd have probably been completely right to have been mad at Southgate for his team selection despite the talent advantage he had to work with....as it was overly conservative, even if it worked out in hindsight.
Outside of a couple of brain farts, this game didn't seem in danger at all. Southgate got the job done. Germany's ten minute storm at the beginning of the game was followed up by the odd english mistake leading to sparse opportunism.

Reactions: Rasmus Reichel

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I hate the English having fun. Just hate it. Prefer watching Line of Duty, Broadhurst, Happy Valley, Game of Thrones, and just secretly sucking off any Brit in my miserable life. :thumbu:

I can't even imagine how exhausting it is having the whole world against you for no apparant reason. You are the real heroes...

PS - I can't speak to the others, but how are you claiming ASOIAF? George R.R. Martin is an American...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Outside of a couple of brain farts, this game didn't seem in danger at all. Southgate got the job done. Germany's ten minute storm at the beginning of the game was followed up by the odd english mistake leading to sparse opportunism.

...that's certainly one way to describe the events of this match :laugh:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
One of england's goals and England's best unconverted chance came directly from German mistakes, so it seems a little odd to make that the crux of your argument.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Watching the reaction to winning from England fans and fans of other countries has helped me understand why so many people dislike the Leafs and our fans.

Reactions: cgf

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
One of england's goals and England's best unconverted chance came directly from German mistakes, so it seems a little odd to make that the crux of your argument.
Which part? That the game wasn't in doubt, or that german chances came from poor english mistakes? So which arguement did i not make properly?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Which part? That the game wasn't in doubt, or that german chances came from poor english mistakes? So which arguement did i not make properly?
Saying that the game was never in danger when England very easily could have gone down in the first half had Werner been a little more fortunate just feels wrong. And it definitely should have been tied after Müller was through.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Yeah, my summary would differ ever so slightly...lol.

But cheers either way. Ultimately you guys got the win, and I have no desire to piss on your parade.
But if England lost, the search for the ultimate excuse would be the story of the day

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad