GDT: Quarter Final | Finland Vs Sweden | 1/2 @ 1:30PM | TSN/NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
No... but the hype around them is ridiculous... they produce in SHL but not in JWC that should tell you something.

SHL tells much more than the WJC. Backstrom had really bad WJCs in 2007, but was really good in SHL that year for example

Reactions: mattihp

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Players can also have great WJCs and not be worth hyping.
Puljujarvi comes to mind sadly, he'll play and get another shot in Edmonton but he hasn't improved his stickhandling or skating at all so i very much doubt he'll stick around for long.

Last edited:

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
SHL tells much more than the WJC. Backstrom had really bad WJCs in 2007, but was really good in SHL that year for example

In SHL you are surrounded with great players...

It's like Messi in Barcelona with The team they had... in national team he struggles hard... compared to Ronaldo who makes the difference in his club team and national team.

Reactions: violaswallet

Nov 1, 2011
Raymond against Finland is one of the best individual performances by a player in these quarterfinals (so far). Again, I think he did well but Holtz was very disappointing compared to expectations.
Hype doesn't disappear because of a couple of bad games though. Maybe Pettersson's hype should have died after the WJCs he had..

Some Canucks fans were mad that we took Pettersson over Middlestadt after that WJHC.

So there are massive ractions. Some prove correct, others not.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
So, Gunler said in an interview, that Sweden should beat Finland, and then you post a picture of Raymond in pain on the bench after getting a puck to the face as some kind of "karma is a bitch" moment?

Also, what was Gunler supposed to say? Some typical "we must play hard, they are a good team"?

Agreed. Give the kid a break. He wanted to win and he said it out loud. Nothing wrong with that. Platitudes like "we'll do our best and let's see how far it takes us..." should be forbidden by law.

Reactions: Dala and Ippenator

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
In SHL you are surrounded with great players...

It's like Messi in Barcelona with The team they had... in national team he struggles hard... compared to Ronaldo who makes the difference in his club team and national team.
I think Lundell is a good example: he produces far better in the Liiga than the WJC because he has linemates that can complete plays.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Thats my point... and thats just make the hypes around some players ridicoluse...
Err, good players need other good players to perform, it's a team sport. Your own example with Ronaldo is a good one, he has won one international trophey in his career and has no medals at Worlds. Messi at least has his silver medal from 2014.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
Err, good players need other good players to perform, it's a team sport. Your own example with Ronaldo is a good one, he has won one international trophey in his career and has no medals at Worlds. Messi at least has his silver medal from 2014.

You say winning Europe Championship isnt hard enough with countries like France,Spain,Germany,England,Italy? You must be kidding me for real... and the players Argentina has compared to Portugal... Messi was pretty much invisible that World cup Argentina ended up second place... and if you we talking about "good players need to play with good players to be good" Diego Maradona single handed won Argentinas gold.

No good players doesnt need good players around em to be good...

Bahh i see im writing like an muppet right now writing from the phone and to little sleep apologize for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ginger Papa

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Wow, I’m listening to the Swedish head coach... guy is freaking crying and talking like he’s a fan rather than a coach.

I know he was not meant to be head coach but Jesus!! I can see this is where we were lacking, leadership!
He better not step foot in a coaching position again, that's just embarrassing. Young guy for a coach too.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
You say winning Europe Championship isnt hard enough with countries like France,Spain,Germany,England,Italy? You must be kidding me for real... and the players Argentina has compared to Portugal... Messi was pretty much invisible that World cup Argentina ended up second place... and if you we talking about "good players need to play with good players to be good" Diego Maradona single handed won Argentinas gold.

No good players doesnt need good players around em to be good...

Bahh i see im writing like an muppet right now writing from the phone and to little sleep apologize for it.

Good players of course need good players. Playmaker needs somebody who can finish, and a scorer needs somebody who can pass.

Maradona didn't win singlehandedly, he was their best player, but that team had other good players.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
That was a redeeming game by team Finland. With that effort level and skating, they absolutely have a chance against USA.

Söderblom and Raymond were great for Sweden but otherwise a pretty bad performance. One example was the numerous no-look-and-hope-for-the-best passes from the boards to the center of the ice in their own zone...you never do that!

Loosing the coaching squad to corona obviously played a role. Nevertheless, would have supported team Sweden for the rest of tournament, should they have won.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
Good players of course need good players. Playmaker needs somebody who can finish, and a scorer needs somebody who can pass.

Maradona didn't win singlehandedly, he was their best player, but that team had other good players.

It was Maradona and 21 bench warmers... for you to say there were good players around him

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Yes, he made a complete fool of himself and it’s pathetic to see him sitting there. But these kind of posts are unnecessary. I believe all Swedes in here have congratulated Finland and agreed that you were clearly the better team. No need to rub it in. Stay classy. :)

There will never be a day when Finnish fans stay classy after Finland beats Sweden. The little brother syndrome is so strong here. You should just ignore it and enjoy the fact that Sweden has athletes like Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Armand Duplantis, which is why you don't have to obsess about hockey like Finns do.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
This is a bigger deal than Skoda cup though, since it's best on best here, excluding Olympics.
Im talking about WM and Olympics. And its never best on best in Junior hockey as the best are men and play in NHL/KHL etc. I would never rate a medal in jvm higher then VM. Not even our first. But its fun to watch players that might be great on the mens team in the future.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Agreed. Give the kid a break. He wanted to win and he said it out loud. Nothing wrong with that. Platitudes like "we'll do our best and let's see how far it takes us..." should be forbidden by law.
It is okay to say that you will win If you win. But never If you loose. So you better make sure you win making a statement like that. He decided to play like crap instead.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Im talking about WM and Olympics. And its never best on best in Junior hockey as the best are men and play in NHL/KHL etc. I would never rate a medal in jvm higher then VM. Not even our first. But its fun to watch players that might be great on the mens team in the future.

Agreed, the World Championship tourney is absolutely great. Not at the level of Olympics obviously but an important tourney nevertheless.

Incredible that some idiot made the comparison of World Championship tourney with the Spengler Cup. The latter is a complete joke of a tourney with laughable teams and zero interest. The gap between WC and Spengler is many nautical miles wider that the gap between WC and best-on-best Olympics.

IMO this U20 tourney is below WC in interest level, quality and significance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland