GDT: Quarter Final | Finland Vs Sweden | 1/2 @ 1:30PM | TSN/NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merton Chesney

Jan 3, 2021
You don't win anything with respect... and beside he made one guy happy, just pathetic to be so offended by a young guy giving away his silver medal he clerarly doesnt want...

whats more cringe is ppl crying about Swedens olympic gold medal from 2006... :laugh:
You aren't honestly suggesting that he tossed that medal to the guy in the stands as a gift, do you?

Reactions: NatoGhost

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Good players of course need good players. Playmaker needs somebody who can finish, and a scorer needs somebody who can pass.

Maradona didn't win singlehandedly, he was their best player, but that team had other good players.

He made the half-line solo goal against pub players of England though in the 1986 Mexico World Cup quarter-final (?). But Messi replicated the feat in la Liga (against Osasuna?). So - it takes two to tango: either capable team mates or then pylons of glory. :popcorn:

noliz79

May 26, 2014
There is so much beeing better than and critisizing others here. Happens everytime :)
It is not about nationality, are one "good" or "bad", "classy" or "not classy".
Why people react here is because of identifying their national team. When you identify, seeing your team losing hurts and seeing them winning feels good.
If you relax a litte and see, that these teams winning or losing, has nothing to do with you. You didn't win or lose.
One day "your" team loses and other day it wins. It isn't that serious. Nobody is unbeatable, so ultimate victory doesn't exist. Players who will win this tournament will soon lose other important games.
In the end there is not really sweden / finland / canada playing here but some group of kids, which are 99,999% same flesh, blood and dna regardless of their nationality or language they speak. And you are just watching they play.

It takes some passion out when you are willing to see things as they really are. The good side is, it makes you better loser / winner. I'm not perfect in this either but from time to time I try to remind myself of these facts. It's not about just sports but whole life in general. Don't get upset of small things (big only for ones ego).

Last edited:

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
No later than as Raymond screamed so loud i thought, this swedish team don t deserve the Semis. ;)

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
The team that wanted it more won. Sweden was the more talent team, even if they didn't have the most talented on the ice.

I expect the US to slaughter Finland on Monday.

Nope, the better with more skill and speed 100%.

No need to push your agenda, Sweden wanted it 100%.

Very logical, Finland has been on top the US past years.

Reactions: THE JAM and Gsus

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
That does it, Finnish fans must be banned from the Jumbotron, immediately!

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
Sweden just sucked, and it feels like a waste.

I think they could have sustained the first period play but no, they wanted to fall back and try a trapping game which they are completely unsuited for. Sitting on the lead, giving up chance after chance (is that the correct way of saying it in english?). As soon as Finland equalized they started to get back to their game and for some time they did play better. At that time it could have gone either way I think, but Finland had better chances because of more momentum.

But you can't get dominated for 2 periods and think that's a good game plan, even if you have the lead, because they completely failed at suppressing goal scoring opportunities. Sure, if you're Austria against Canada and somehow got 2 lucky goals, then yeah maybe that's a good plan. But here, no, unsustainable and stupid.

Reactions: swedehollow

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
It's correct to call this Finnish team weaker than the team 2016 and perhaps even 2019. But to call It plain weak is just wrong, because at the end of the day they will play the medal games. This comes from a guy who thinks the Finnish roster is unsatisfying this year, but the team can't be that weak if they can change a 0-2 to a 3-2 victory in the quarters.
Even a a fool like me can see the difference with a bad roster-bad team and a good roster or a good team.
Honestly, it seems like you are taking the roll as a wiseacre just as your debating antagonist. Team Sweden had some decent talent this year, but the team was not better than the Finnish team, quite the opposite. If you watched the game you would know this and if you still watched it and didn't see that, well... Then you should take it easy with calling others biased etc.

A weak team? Well, a weak team was this years Sweden. Weaker than that? Team Finland 16-17. Even if you had a roster with Heiskanen (even if underaged), Juolevi, Välimäki, Vaakanainen, Saarijärvi, Nättinen, Ruotsalainen, Borgström, Saarela, Vesalainen, Vehviläinen and Tolvanen.
I mean that team was shit, even if that roster had some players that are considered as better prospects than many players this year. I think you get the point.

Last edited by a moderator:

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
It's correct to call this Finnish team weaker than the team 2016 and perhaps even 2019. But to call It plain weak is just wrong, because at the end of the day they will play the medal games. This comes from a guy who thinks the Finnish roster is unsatisfying this year, but the team can't be that weak if they can change a 0-2 to a 3-2 victory in the quarters.
Even a a fool like me can see the difference with a bad roster-bad team and a good roster or a good team.
Honestly, it seems like you are taking the roll as a wiseacre just as your debating antagonist. Team Sweden had some decent talent this year, but the team was not better than the Finnish team, quite the opposite. If you watched the game you would know this and if you still watched it and didn't see that, well... Then you should take it easy with calling others biased etc.

A weak team? Well, a weak team was this years Sweden. Weaker than that? Team Finland 16-17. Even if you had a roster with Heiskanen (even if underaged), Juolevi, Välimäki, Vaakanainen, Saarijärvi, Nättinen, Ruotsalainen, Borgström, Saarela, Vesalainen, Vehviläinen and Tolvanen.
I mean that team was shit, even if the roster had some players who I would consider as better prospects than many players this year. I think you get the point.

only decent game this team Sweden had were against the Czech... and even that game i think the Czech deserved the win more than Sweden... so yeah this team Sweden were unsually bad.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

I mean that team was shit, even if that roster had some players that are considered as better prospects than many players this year. I think you get the point.

So you agree they are weak compared to past teams. Which is exactly what I said.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Nah if we had finishers and would have been a bit more ready, the game would have been long gone. what do you base your views on. Please provide something intelligent, which seems quite hard for you.

But that's how you play tournaments, by playing to get better. Im sure your such a smart hockey nerd.

I've watched every game this year and every year for who knows how long. This team does not stack up well against previous Finnish teams, which is pretty clear to anyone watching.

But sure, believe this is the best your country can produce...

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I've watched every game this year and every year for who knows how long. This team does not stack up well against previous Finnish teams, which is pretty clear to anyone watching.

But sure, believe this is the best your country can produce...

Good for you buddy. You are a wiseacre, plain and simple. Everything is not black or white in life. I´ve written a lot and criticized Pennanens selections. Selecting Pärssinen, a second and a third center before Aatu Räty when he is clearly the second best center after Lundell was frustrating. But even I can't deny the fact that the Finns played good AS A TEAM against Sweden and deserved the victory. Deal with it and have a nice one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bedards Dad

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
So you agree they are weak compared to past teams. Which is exactly what I said.

No, I wrote the roster was not that good this year but the team has advanced to the semis and you just can't bash them and call them bad or weak. The TEAM is not weak, even if the roster has been better. They are not the same thing. I mean there is no point of playing the games if you are just going to compare rosters on paper and decide who's the best? Where is the fun in that.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
You are a wiseacre, plain and simple. Everything is not black or white in life. Nowhere have I stated that this is the best Finland can produce. Quite the opposite and you will notice this if you read my earlier comments. If you can read that is. I´ve written a lot and criticized Pennanens selections. Selecting Pärssinen, a second and a third center before Aatu Räty when he is clearly the second best center after Lundell was frustrating. But even I can't deny the fact that the Finns played good AS A TEAM against Sweden and deserved the victory. Deal with it and have a nice one.

If you can read he didnt replay to you either ;)

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
If you can read he didnt replay to you either ;)

Haha, well touché! My bad. Thanks :) Perhaps i should delete my post. Even if I think he's wrong with calling this Finnish TEAM bad because they have proven the opposite. And the fact that this guy took the role as a wiseacre stating false things.

Last edited:
Reactions: aphyro

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
I expect the US to slaughter Finland on Monday.
We both know that it's probably not gonna happen.

After yesterday, Finland vs USA looks pretty much even, maybe slight advantage to the US. Americans have more skill for sure overall, but as we all know the game isn't decided on skill.

This brings back memories from 2019 WJC's. Finland won after beating the US and Canada on their own NA ice.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
No, I wrote the roster was not that good this year but the team has advanced to the semis and you just can't bash them and call them bad or weak. The TEAM is not weak, even if the roster has been better. They are not the same thing. I mean there is no point of playing the games if you are just going to compare rosters on paper and decide who's the best? Where is the fun in that.

I said weak compared to past years. Of course you have to play the games, that's were drive comes into play. They wanted it more and it showed.

I don't understand how this is controversial. They are weaker than normal, but are performing well under pressure, that's a good thing.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
We both know that it's probably not gonna happen.

After yesterday, Finland vs USA looks pretty much even, maybe slight advantage to the US. Americans have more skill for sure overall, but as we all know the game isn't decided on skill.

This brings back memories from 2019 WJC's. Finland won after beating the US and Canada on their own NA ice.

I disagree. I think the US is far more talented and will win by 3 or more. Of course anything can happen, but watching the 2 teams they are on seperate tiers.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Haha, well touché! My bad. Thanks :) Perhaps i should delete my post. Even if I think he's wrong with calling this Finnish TEAM bad because they have proven the opposite. And the fact that this guy took the role as a wiseacre stating false things.

No that guy is just saying previous from nnish teams have been better/more talented and thus version won based on will over skill.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
I just finished the game... I can't believe all of the standing still and watching of the puck from the Swedes... especially on the wrap around goal. all 5 guys infront of the net just standing there and they can't prevent the wrap around? brutal to watch to be honest. I feel bad for the goalie, he was left out to dry.
congrats Finns, they played great.

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
I just finished the game... I can't believe all of the standing still and watching of the puck from the Swedes... especially on the wrap around goal. all 5 guys infront of the net just standing there and they can't prevent the wrap around? brutal to watch to be honest. I feel bad for the goalie, he was left out to dry.
congrats Finns, they played great.

It was fun to watch Mikko Rantanen IG. He was watching that game with Burakovsky and Landeskog and Landeskog yells something like: "Wtf was that, where was defence/play defence!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese