GDT: Quarter Final | Finland Vs Sweden | 1/2 @ 1:30PM | TSN/NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
They weren’t choking, they just didn’t have a game plan. They got the lead and didn’t know what to do with it.

From locker room psychology to crying coaches... LEADERSHIP!!! Identify it and harness it!

Not knowing what to do with a lead sounds very similar to chocking

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Ready to give some credit for Pennanen aswell?

Sorry but no, absolutely not. This was a bad performance by Sweden as much as it was a good performance by Finland and I believe we all know this. I thank Lundell, Heinola and Niemelä. They were leaders tonight. I´m no that impressed by the others as Pärssinen and the lower lines.

Actually, Pennanen has been bad with Lambert if anything. Give Lambert someone to work with and he would tear it up. But hey, I´m still really happy with the win but let's not fool ourselves, this was a surprisingly weak Team Sweden this year.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I'm so happy. This is what Finnish hockey is all about. Finnish juniors showed dedication and sisu men's team have lacked for years. Amazing victory, great game. I am so happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: king89 and Svedu

king89

Dec 4, 2018
Sorry but no, absolutely not. This was a bad performance by Sweden as much as it was a good performance by Finland and I believe we all know this. I thank Lundell, Heinola and Niemelä. They were leaders tonight. I´m no that impressed by the others as Pärssinen and the lower lines.

Actually, Pennanen has been bad with Lambert if anything. Give Lambert someone to work with and he would tear it up. But hey, I´m still really happy with the win but let's not fool ourselves, this was a surprisingly weak Team Sweden this year.
Yes, but you know that Pennan told some wise words to the team in the break. After all he has won championships.

I also saw a bit of a change in how we played after the first period. Better creativity and it was like they had been told to play more offensively and just let it out. Ofc Sweden was bad but still.

Reactions: Svedu

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Lambert is going to be a beast.

Yes he'll be.
Now i just hope that IIHF decides to play U18 WJC's as planned this coming April.
Lambert will be one of the best forwards in that tournament.

These U20 WJC's are learning experience for Lambert.
But next years U20 WJC's are his main tournament and there he needs to be the best
if he really wants challenge Shane Wright of 1st overall pick in 2022 draft.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Yes, but you know that Pennan told some wise words to the team in the break. After all he has won championships.

I also saw a bit of a change in how we played after the first period. Better creativity and it was like they had been told to play more offensively and just let it out. Ofc Sweden was bad but still.

Even i heard all what Pennanen said to our players.
But that which totally amazes me is that how Sweden's coach was so quiet.
It truly was like whole Swedish bench would've been dead.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Wow, must have been a really bad showing from the Swedish team when after a 3-2 game w/ last minute GWG I don't see even a single Swedish fan being salty. Although Swedish fans are not sore losers usually either, but this is remarkable.

Nice to see our team show some fighting spirit, because while victories feel nice, that's basically the most important thing I want to see from them.

Reactions: FinPanda

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
What a game, i'm amazed and this game litterally touched my soul, i feel bad for being so harsh on some players, but this, THIS was the true hockey i wanted to see and the Lions put the Finnish sisu on full display here, suck it Sweden (in the nicest way) :D

- enjoyed watching this comeback win (ffs Winland had one crucial goal disallowed and still won)

Reactions: Victory Avenue

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Swedish fans are class through and through. Best fans in international hockey.

Civil, mature. Not a single fan blamed the refs. No calling names. The general understanding of the sport of hockey is at a high level. Understanding that sometimes you win, but you can't always win. Though they win often. A lot. Too often, imo. Every scenario has been seen before, every bounce has been seen. It's all part of the pantheon of WJC.

But I digress. Everybody knows it's a short tournament and some kids perform better than others, and it's not the end of the world. The game was good. You can be upset you lost. But the respect for the game, and the opponent, is higher in Sweden than anywhere else.

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
Finnish juniors showed dedication and sisu men's team have lacked for years. Amazing victory, great game. I am so happy.
What? 2019 was only so recently. That was one of the most impressive performances by an unimpressive roster in a long time.

Watching your U20 team this year has brought that mens' team to mind. Outmatched on paper the past two games, but very resilient, and a well-deserved, hard-fought result today.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
This is a bigger deal than Skoda cup though, since it's best on best here, excluding Olympics.

Yup. This is viewed very highly because it’s best-on-best or as close as you’re possibly going to get for players of this age group.

The hockey is really top notch as you move to the end of the tournament. It’s pure hockey joy every year, it literally is the future of hockey in this tournament.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
What? 2019 was only so recently. That was one of the most impressive performances by an unimpressive roster in a long time.

Watching your U20 team this year has brought that mens' team to mind. Outmatched on paper the past two games, but very resilient, and a well-deserved, hard-fought result today.
Meant the time before 2019, its just been issue for so long.

Reactions: Dexter Colt

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
I like Heinola's game. I hope it transfers to the NHL. I don't like NHL hockey as it is now. It has no flow.

Yeah. It is the well-known issuse of 'obsolete small rink size'. What looked like flow, say the flow of Hudson River when some Lafleur or even Gretzky played looks now like a traffic jam at Times Square with the difference that the proverbial rush hour traffic moves admittedly up and down in the rink, yet it moves back and forth violently and haphazardly without actually flowing forward.

This is of course a personal, controversial and rather unpopular view of things - and also an unfair one, at least to some extent. Since flow must be married with intensity to make up a great hockey game. And it is a question of delicate balance.

So, let's not derail the thread and spoil the fun here. U20 can flow and fly in the
NA rink but can the seasoned NHL veterans? Barely, hardly and rarely.

Reactions: robertocarlos

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Well we f***ed it up as we usually do. I called this yesterday already. Got a bad feeling today as well when I read the interview with Gunler, where he was way too confident, as if he had already won. Meanwhile the Finns were humble. I’m tired of this attitude. Even the Canadians, who are dominant enough to be cocky, were humble prior to the game against Finland...

Congrats Finland! You played very well and truly deserved the win!

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
Meant the time before 2019, its just been issue for so long.
Ah, now I get it. I think it must be a mental thing, but a guy like Jalonen seems to wire his teams correctly. He was successful before 2019, too.

Is Pennanen similar as a person or somehow affiliated to Jalonen? He also seems to get his guys fired up in a relaxed way. They looked overwhelmed vs. Canada but seemed to learn a thing or two about intensity during the game, and it carried over to today's game.

Reactions: FinPanda

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
Swedish fans are class through and through. Best fans in international hockey.

Civil, mature. Not a single fan blamed the refs. No calling names. The general understanding of the sport of hockey is at a high level. Understanding that sometimes you win, but you can't always win. Though they win often. A lot. Too often, imo. Every scenario has been seen before, every bounce has been seen. It's all part of the pantheon of WJC.

But I digress. Everybody knows it's a short tournament and some kids perform better than others, and it's not the end of the world. The game was good. You can be upset you lost. But the respect for the game, and the opponent, is higher in Sweden than anywhere else.

- wtf
- if you haven't seen swedish whining regarding almost everything if they don't win - you're probably not yet an adult person :)

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Is Pennanen similar as a person or somehow affiliated to Jalonen? He also seems to get his guys fired up in a relaxed way. They looked overwhelmed vs. Canada but seemed to learn a thing or two about intensity during the game, and it carried over to today's game.
Yes, Pennanen is considered as his "apprentice". Also he was part of the 2019 championship team coaching staff. And from what i've understood, they are really good friends also.

After this Sweden game Pennanen was interviewed and he said that his idea was to get positive rage to the players so they can overcome nervousness. Worked pretty well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad