GDT: Quarter Final | Finland Vs Sweden | 1/2 @ 1:30PM | TSN/NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Pennanen really is a quite similar type of coach as Jalonen. Seems to get the best out of his teams at the right moments. He plays also with quite similar tactics as Jalonen. Likes puck control hockey, but is willing to sometimes make surprising changes to his approach depending on the opponents style.

In my opinion Pennanen values team play over individualistic skills even more than Jalonen, but otherwise they are quite similar type of coaches. Great motivators and masters of the locker room, but especially in a positive and constructive way.

And yes, Pennanen has been a lot influenced by Jalonen, as he has been in Jalonen’s coaching team for the men’s national team and won the sensational gold with Jalonen in the 2019 men’s WHC tournament.

Pennanen is one of the extremely talented young Finnish coaches, with Jussi Ahokas and Tommi Niemelä, who both have already won world championships as the junior national team head coaches. Ahokas winning both U20 and U18 tournaments and Niemelä winning U18 tournament. Both are also doing almost miracles with their Liiga teams that have quite below average Liiga rosters, but are quite close to the top of the league with their coaching.

So Finland definitely has a bright future in hockey with the very talented coaches in addition to a lot of talented young players that have been produced during the last ten years.

Nuorten Leijonien päävalmentaja paljasti, mitä Suomen pukukopissa tapahtui 0–2-tappioasemassa – vertasi tukalaa hetkeä vuoden 2016 mestarijoukkueen kokemuksiin

Ottelun jälkeen Antti Pennanen kertoi, mistä joukkueen suuri tasonnosto toiseen erään kumpusi.
– Erätauolla minä ja pelaajat olimme vihaisia ja käytimme kovaa ääntä. Viestini oli, että odottaminen loppuu ja pitää tarttua tähän hetkeen. Nämä ovat ainutlaatuisia tilanteita. On erittäin harmi katsoa, jos odotetaan, miten pelissä käy. Ajatus on saada positiivista vihaa esiin ja sen avulla päästä jännityksen yli.

Ennen toisen erän alkua Pennanen valoi joukkueeseen vielä uskoa ja painotti, että seuraavaksi on tekojen aika.
– Niillä sanoilla luotiin luottamusta siihen, että osaamme kyllä.

Reactions: Ippenator

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
It was not offside, I have no idea how video refs got their job
Eh? If you didn't see the offside then I don't know what to say...

But it would have been better for Sweden if that goal stood. Then they would have had time to start playing again.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Eh? If you didn't see the offside then I don't know what to say...

But it would have been better for Sweden if that goal stood. Then they would have had time to start playing again.

I bet you are basing your opinion to the feed which was shown during overview, it didnt show the whole sequence

To the last part. Im not taking part to the emotional side of the discussion. Just keep fact straight, your halfblind grandma could do better job with the video. There is no way you call that offside and keep your job.

Last edited:

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
I disagree. I think the US is far more talented and will win by 3 or more. Of course anything can happen, but watching the 2 teams they are on seperate tiers.
I'm just saying the US won't slaughter us. Which I would call by scoring 4-5+ goals more than the opponent.

I already said that they have more talent, that's obvious and draft numbers should tell that as well. But I believe we have a good chance to win and that's not gonna change unless they'll face a far far superior team. And imo they're not. Which you might disagree with. Swedes probably thought that as well yesterday. So did Canada and US as well in 2019.

It's just funny that some fans don't take Finland seriously but we have won as many gold medals as Canada in the last 10 years. More than US, Swe, Rus. But we are preparing for a slaughter, just like every year ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I'm just saying the US won't slaughter us. Which I would call by scoring 4-5+ goals more than the opponent.

I already said that they have more talent, that's obvious and draft numbers should tell that as well. But I believe we have a good chance to win and that's not gonna change unless they'll face a far far superior team. And imo they're not. Which you might disagree with. Swedes probably thought that as well yesterday. So did Canada and US as well in 2019.

It's just funny that some fans don't take Finland seriously but we have won as many gold medals as Canada in the last 10 years. More than US, Swe, Rus. But we are preparing for a slaughter, just like every year ;)

That's fair, everyone can have their opinion. I also disagree, many people take Finland seriously, but know this isn't the best team they have sent.

I don't see relevance in past accomplishments, since those players are not in this team.

I still feel the US wins this convincingly.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I bet you are basing your opinion to the feed which was shown during overview, it didnt show the whole sequence

To the last part. Im not taking part to the emotional side of the discussion. Just keep fact straight, your halfblind grandma could do better job with the video. There is no way you call that offside and keep your job.

Can someone show a video, a still or anything showing it was onside. The only video/stills I've seen have the player 16"+ offside. Not that it matters, but I keep seeing some Finn fans adamant it was onside.

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Do that on the street and it's an assault charge, do it AFTER a hockey game and it's "nothing major". Really, how is it a hockey play when the game is over?

I think they dropped the gloves but never fought meaning it was some roughing. It’s dumb to speculate when we don’t have the details. Pärsinen may have said something triggering and they reacted, clearly disappointed with the loss. What made me mad was that it was 3 vs 1. It’s 1 vs 1 or no fight in my book.

Reactions: Snowsii

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Is there video or an explanation for what "Go after" means here. If they started throwing punches I'd say a suspension for a couple games of international play is in order.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It seem's the puck never crossed the blueline outside the Swedish zone and idk about the rule here but some are saying it should have counted because of this.

No, Heinola pulled the puck back before it crossed fully into the Swedish zone, hence the offside. It was never in the offensive zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad