Post-Game Talk: Quack Quack, Jets win 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Just a bit of an observation about a quarter of the way through the season. But my guess is the playoff line in the Western Conference will be a couple points higher than usual this season based on current points trends. My take is there are 4 really bad teams in the Hawks, Yotes, Sharks and Ducks that are trying to out tank each other that you will need to pile up a couple extra points to beat out your playoff competitors.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Just a bit of an observation about a quarter of the way through the season. But my guess is the playoff line in the Western Conference will be a couple points higher than usual this season based on current points trends. My take is there are 4 really bad teams in the Hawks, Yotes, Sharks and Ducks that are trying to out tank each other that you will need to pile up a couple extra points to beat out your playoff competitors.
Yeah things are pretty tight for the top 12 teams in the conference, it's even tighter in the eastern conference.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

I feel like people say this every year, and then it settles into the usual range.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I feel like people say this every year, and then it settles into the usual range.
I’m usually the cheerleader for the don’t worry it will settle into the usual range. I’m just observing it is starting to trend a bit higher based on having 4 really bad teams points wise in the conference. Take it for whatever you want as I’m not trying to convince anyone one way or the other.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
The ducks are such a shadow of the Getzlaf Perry Kesler team in 2015. I still carry quite a bit of hatred towards the ducks. They can go fly a kite as far as I'm concerned.
tumblr_o0nf9c9ttR1s2f16eo9_400.gif

Not precisely the sense of mental anguish for those ducks that I think we were all anticipating. :)

Last edited:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Nice to see Bones speak so openly about the KEY issue that has plagued the team for literally years - just a lack of consistent emotion and competitive spirit- a lack of passion and really caring for what is happening around them on the ice. Hockey has to be more than simply "having fun out there" which has been coined by Scheifs for as long as I can remember. When this team learns to play with some intensity, and particularly ,to really care for one another`s well-being, they will be exciting to watch. But they will have to learn that the road is hard and difficult and that they must make sacrifices along the way if they are to succeed.

But it`s one thing to recognize the issue and another to bring about change . We will see if Bones can press the right buttons to bring about that change.... .

Yes. I for one am happy to finally see it being called out in a clear and professional manner. He isn't saying anything behind their backs. He pointed out that they discussed the lack of effort with CBJ and everyone was saying the right things the next day, and then the 1st period against the Ducks happened which is unacceptable - one clear example. Nothing behind anyone's back - but call it out and put it out there in the open.

We know that Maurice's approach doesn't work because we saw it in action for the last few years. Little accountability which would lead to several games of lackluster effort and multiple 3 to 5 game losing streaks per season which Maurice would attribute to blah blah blah wrapped up in no accountability.

Maurice - few expectations, not coaching 1/2 dozen guys, no system of accountability. So yeah, I am completely on board with Bones actually setting expectations and holding the team accountable to their commitments to the team and teammates. That is actually being a coach in pro sports. And I won't have an issue if he starts taking names and numbers if warranted.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
I couldn't believe the wind chill this morning. I turned into one giant pylon of ice even standing inside the bus shelter. And you people live through this every year?

Last February, the BF said, "Come and join me in Winnipeg. It gets cold here, but you get used to it."

Last April, I moved to Winnipeg and said, "Gee, this isn't so bad. "

This morning: "You foxing sonofawitch, NOBODY gets used to this. I'm gonna DIE!!!!!"

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
I couldn't believe the wind chill this morning. I turned into one giant pylon of ice even standing inside the bus shelter. And you people live through this every year?

Last February, the BF said, "Come and join me in Winnipeg. It gets cold here, but you get used to it."

The things we do for love.........sucker! lol

I was born and raised here, im still not used to it.

Last edited:

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB

This morning: "You foxing sonofawitch, NOBODY gets used to this. I'm gonna DIE!!!!!"
This is just a warm up for winter lol. Wait until it's -30. Just a breeze makes it wicked cold. I find that the more you embrace it the less miserable it is. Oh and buy a really good coat and boots if you're going to be waiting for busses.

Nov 24, 2006

Just wait until January and February. You can die walking from your house to the garage.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

If it helps, Mrs. JETson moved here 15 years ago, and has adapted to the weather. But she still likes to complain to me about it :laugh:

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada

this isn't bad .... wait until it gets really cold

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

I always say that whoever settled here back in the day must have done so in May.

The only reason we all live here is because we all live here. 10,000 years ago, we would have just packed up our shit collectively and started walking - south. I say we can still do that lol.

Hell, there's "York" and "New York". I like the idea of a "New Winnipeg" somewhere in the Arizona mountains or Okanogan Valley

If it helps, Mrs. JETson moved here 15 years ago, and has adapted to the weather. But she still likes to complain to me about it :laugh:
I remember the first November after we moved (I grew up here, wife is American but had visited at Christmas). It was like 10-15 degrees all month and the BOOM -25 overnight. I came home to her crying on the floor saying "why did we move here..."

That was the routine every winter for a few years. Coldsnap followed by tears of regret

That said, I don't see myself doing this 50 more times. Something has to give

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
^and to be clear, @Inanna - none of these posters are joking. Bundle up, winter can be beautiful but literally deadly. Christmas to Valentine's Day is usually the worst...

Back to the game - it sure is nice to see effective coaching. One person said Mau wouldn't have been passionate - that's wrong, he may have been dropping F bombs, but he struggled to adjust or give advice beyond "start moving your feet".

We'll see how this trend plays out for the rest of the season, but so far so good.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Totally agree, i had to work outside for 4 hours last night and got really angry and really cold. I hate when we get the really cold weather like its going to be Wednesday morning -40c with the windchill .

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

^and to be clear, @Inanna - none of these posters are joking. Bundle up, winter can be beautiful but literally deadly. Christmas to Valentine's Day is usually the worst...

Back to the game - it sure is nice to see effective coaching. One person said Mau wouldn't have been passionate - that's wrong, he may have been dropping F bombs, but he struggled to adjust or give advice beyond "start moving your feet".

We'll see how this trend plays out for the rest of the season, but so far so good.

FonRiesen is right, you really have to bundle up to face some of our winters. As has been stated, it's the worst from the end of December until end of February.

The key is to go with layers of clothing. When I used to bus to/from University many years ago, I'd wear sweat pants under my jeans, have woven mittens under my ski-type gloves, wearing a warm hat, and had a scarf over my face. Along with a good quality pair of winter boots and parka. Waiting for 45 minutes for your connecting bus teaches you to adapt really quickly.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I always have had huge respect for the Native peoples of this regions ability to thrive in this climate in the past without any modern housing.

Winter boots are important if standing around. The temp rating on boots are calculated on being active not standing. So -40 boots are more like -20 boots standing.

And you ladies have to battle fashion and warmth not an easy task .... unless you accept your fate and concentrate on warmth :laugh:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I was buying some last minute stuff at Shoppers Drugs last night, and about at midnight, this girl walks out as I'm walking in, wearing a very hi - thigh mini skirt, with skinny, 3 inch high heels. ( very pointy) I marvelled at how she could walk in those things without killing herself.:laugh:

Reactions: hn777 and Aggie204

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Personal rant: The Sequel

When I saw -31C windchill this morning, I whined sufficiently that the BF said he would drive me to campus on really cold days. This with a dollop of personal guilt-giving sacrifice since he normally heads off to work in the other direction. Then when I calmed down and thanked him, he pointed out that today wasn't really that cold of a day.

The bastard made it into the elevator before I could strangle him.

Thank you for all your comments and kind advice. I've been hearing similar things from my new friends here in town. I like to point out that I'm a beach gal not a snow amazon and I'm sure some of them think I'm a whiner. I realized, after BF got a great job opportunity in Winnipeg and I applied to do my next degree here, that I would move to the Cold Capital of Canada, but appreciating it intellectually is not the same as experiencing it physically. I have all the right boots and gear and expect to survive the next few months here (or at least until we fly home at Christmas) despite all the comments hinting that it gets worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad