Post-Game Talk: Quack Quack, Jets win 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Last April, I moved to Winnipeg and said, "Gee, this isn't so bad. "

This morning: "You foxing sonofawitch, NOBODY gets used to this. I'm gonna DIE!!!!!"
mando-way-this-is-the-way.gif

But seriously, invest (if you haven't already done so) in:

-thermal socks for bus trips (Mark's WW has a sale right now)
-Good mitts, like really good mitts (nice liners, heavy leather outers, none of this glove bullshit) or use gloves inside big mitts.
- long undies, they work.
- a good parka with integrated hood that zips up into a "tube" phenotype

Essentially you want to emulate a walrus, muskoxen, or any mammalian lifeform with a massive protective sheath of blubber.

DanCox_D222527.jpg

WIth this gear you can laugh, laugh I say, at windchill.

A note about windchill: Its relentlessly hyped in media, and its particularly nasty for those with pea jackets and slip on shoes in their polyester slacks (think of every radio DJ in the known universe). NOT to take it lightly, because a -15 day with wind sucks, but with the clothes described above will allow you sail through this shyte.

Last edited:

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
The things we do for love.........sucker! lol

I was born and raised here, im still not used to it.
Some days it's love, other days it's lust, and some days I really wonder if I want to spend the rest of my life with him.

Yeah, so many Winnipeggers say they never get used to it.

Just wait until January and February. You can die walking from your house to the garage.
Thankfully, our building is close to the bus shack but thanks for your inspiring words.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I loved how Bowness slamming his fist on the wall behind the bench in the first period reminded me of John Paddock kicking the wall back in the day. Paddock did it so much he had to get knee surgery if I recall correctly. Hopefully the Jets play well enough to avoid a wrist or hand injury for Bones.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Personal rant: The Sequel

When I saw -31C windchill this morning, I whined sufficiently that the BF said he would drive me to campus on really cold days. This with a dollop of personal guilt-giving sacrifice since he normally heads off to work in the other direction. Then when I calmed down and thanked him, he pointed out that today wasn't really that cold of a day.

The bastard made it into the elevator before I could strangle him.

Thank you for all your comments and kind advice. I've been hearing similar things from my new friends here in town. I like to point out that I'm a beach gal not a snow amazon and I'm sure some of them think I'm a whiner. I realized, after BF got a great job opportunity in Winnipeg and I applied to do my next degree here, that I would move to the Cold Capital of Canada, but appreciating it intellectually is not the same as experiencing it physically. I have all the right boots and gear and expect to survive the next few months here (or at least until we fly home at Christmas) despite all the comments hinting that it gets worse.
There's really no way to convey the reality of the cold here. It's just something you have to feel. But as others are pointing out, being prepared and dressing for the conditions helps. And you do adapt. After a couple of weeks where it's consistently -30 with windchills pushing it into the -40s, it'll feel reasonably pleasant at -20. -5 will be sweater weather.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Winter boots are important if standing around. The temp rating on boots are calculated on being active not standing. So -40 boots are more like -20 boots standing.

And you ladies have to battle fashion and warmth not an easy task .... unless you accept your fate and concentrate on warmth :laugh:
Screw fashion. I have calf boots, several yoga pants and leggings, and tons of sweaters and hoodies. On a good day, I might even wash my hair. Several months ago, I painted my nails and put on lipstick, but I got over that. Now the extent of my fashion sense is what colour hoodie and what flavour of lip chap to wear.

Last edited:

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
I was buying some last minute stuff at Shoppers Drugs last night, and about at midnight, this girl walks out as I'm walking in, wearing a very hi - thigh mini skirt, with skinny, 3 inch high heels. ( very pointy) I marvelled at how she could walk in those things without killing herself.:laugh:
Hmmmm, did she pull out a large roll of $20 bills to pay for her purchases?

Last time I wore a mini outdoors was in September and the only time I wear heels is for reindeer games. Same goes for mini skirts. I don't know how Winnipeg girls do it but I don't see anything sexy in thighs turning blue from cold and large, frosty chunks breaking off.

Okay, I've vented enough about cold, let's return our focus to hockey. Well, and maybe some chemistry.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Screw fashion. I have calf boots, several yoga pants and leggings, and tons of sweaters and hoodies. On a good day, I might even wash my hair. Several months ago, I painted my nails and put on lipstick, but I got over that. Now the extent of my fashion sense is what colour hoodie and what flavour of lip chap.
I use to work in the fashion industry for years as a merchandiser and regional manager. Then I started working in the family business. Whenever my old co-workers see me now they comment how comfortable I look, and my wife says I look like a hobo lol

Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I loved how Bowness slamming his fist on the wall behind the bench in the first period reminded me of John Paddock kicking the wall back in the day. Paddock did it so much he had to get knee surgery if I recall correctly. Hopefully the Jets play well enough to avoid a wrist or hand injury for Bones.

We as fans could set up a go-fund-me for a special glove-mace attachment for Bones. But then we'd need a go-fund-me for Canada Life centre.

Reactions: macmaroon

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Personal rant: The Sequel

When I saw -31C windchill this morning, I whined sufficiently that the BF said he would drive me to campus on really cold days. This with a dollop of personal guilt-giving sacrifice since he normally heads off to work in the other direction. Then when I calmed down and thanked him, he pointed out that today wasn't really that cold of a day.

The bastard made it into the elevator before I could strangle him.

Thank you for all your comments and kind advice. I've been hearing similar things from my new friends here in town. I like to point out that I'm a beach gal not a snow amazon and I'm sure some of them think I'm a whiner. I realized, after BF got a great job opportunity in Winnipeg and I applied to do my next degree here, that I would move to the Cold Capital of Canada, but appreciating it intellectually is not the same as experiencing it physically. I have all the right boots and gear and expect to survive the next few months here (or at least until we fly home at Christmas) despite all the comments hinting that it gets worse.
Where are you from ? being a beach girl -- must be a place like California, or Florida ? Now this takes courage to move to live in Winnipeg. I guess it has to be a testament of your passionate love for the boyfriend. :naughty:

Reactions: hn777

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
There's really no way to convey the reality of the cold here. It's just something you have to feel. But as others are pointing out, being prepared and dressing for the conditions helps. And you do adapt. After a couple of weeks where it's consistently -30 with windchills pushing it into the -40s, it'll feel reasonably pleasant at -20. -5 will be sweater weather.
It's true that once you climatize your self, about half way thru December, that - 5 can feel like sweater weather. You have to be a Winnipeger to grasp this.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Some days it's love, other days it's lust, and some days I really wonder if I want to spend the rest of my life with him.

Yeah, so many Winnipeggers say they never get used to it.

Thankfully, our building is close to the bus shack but thanks for your inspiring words.
You'll never get used to it, but you'll get really good at blocking it out and forgetting about how shitty it was by the time the lilacs bloom.

I can only remember the shittiest of winters (like last year and the year I made a rink in the years for the kids but it only warmed up from -35 in order to dump a foot of snow so we never used it much) and the really mild one like two years ago.

I think it's some kind of defense mechanism we have because otherwise we'd go nuts thinking about the fact it's coming EVERY YEAR.

The upside is that while the first few days of -10 every year feel terrible, when it warms up to -10 in February after a prolonged stretch at -40 you'll be outside in shorts and flip flops. It's all relative.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I couldn't believe the wind chill this morning. I turned into one giant pylon of ice even standing inside the bus shelter. And you people live through this every year?

Last February, the BF said, "Come and join me in Winnipeg. It gets cold here, but you get used to it."

Last April, I moved to Winnipeg and said, "Gee, this isn't so bad. "

This morning: "You foxing sonofawitch, NOBODY gets used to this. I'm gonna DIE!!!!!"
Layers are important. A nice merino wool base layer is always good. Source: I walk my dog an hour minimum every day regardless of temperature :laugh:

I genuinely enjoy the cold though. I hate Winnipeg summers because of the heat. Thankfully I haven't had to experience one in over a decade.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I guess distance makes the heart grow fonder, but I never minded winters in Winnipeg that much. Yeah, they were darn cold, but at least you can put on more layers. I firmly believe in the Finnish saying "there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing". That said, my wife never got used to Winnipeg winter (she moved there when about 11 years old). Maybe if you're born into it, it helps deal with the cold?

Revolver

Mar 22, 2013
Winnipeg
Lately, we've been noticing a chorus of "something" from the crowd, during O' Canada, right after "glorious and free". Does anyone know what's up with that?

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Where are you from ? being a beach girl -- must be a place like California, or Florida ? Now this takes courage to move to live in Winnipeg. I guess it has to be a testament of your passionate love for the boyfriend. :naughty:
Nope, I'm from Vancouver. If you know the city, from Kitsilano. And the BF is from Richmond.

Moving here didn't take courage, just weighed up the factors, like getting away from the parents who I got stuck with when my first real job disappeared from Covid, plus having the BF already settled here. As for passionate love, this might not end in a Hallmark flourish but things are going really great so far. I'm quite content.

Freezing to death, but content.

Speaking of beaches, we play Florida tomorrow night and I understand a lot of folks around town still have a hate on for Paul Maurice. Could be interesting...

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I will take the cold over a lot of snow and rain any day. The cold didn’t flood my basement.

Now as far as the Jets are concerned… yes to everything everyone said.

Reactions: Jets 31

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Nope, I'm from Vancouver. If you know the city, from Kitsilano. And the BF is from Richmond.

Moving here didn't take courage, just weighed up the factors, like getting away from the parents who I got stuck with when my first real job disappeared from Covid, plus having the BF already settled here. As for passionate love, this might not end in a Hallmark flourish but things are going really great so far. I'm quite content.

Freezing to death, but content.

Speaking of beaches, we play Florida tomorrow night and I understand a lot of folks around town still have a hate on for Paul Maurice. Could be interesting...

Usually you see people from Winnipeg heading out west and not the other way around! :laugh:

Got PO'd and turned the mess of a game off early in the second period!

Looks like the team didn't need me!:confused:

Don't kid yourself, you are an integral component of the psychology around here. :)

This place just isn't the same without Sip.

I tried to fill those shoes once, it's not easy being cantankerous :sarcasm:

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
I always say that whoever settled here back in the day must have done so in May.

The only reason we all live here is because we all live here. 10,000 years ago, we would have just packed up our shit collectively and started walking - south. I say we can still do that lol.

Hell, there's "York" and "New York". I like the idea of a "New Winnipeg" somewhere in the Arizona mountains or Okanogan Valley

I remember the first November after we moved (I grew up here, wife is American but had visited at Christmas). It was like 10-15 degrees all month and the BOOM -25 overnight. I came home to her crying on the floor saying "why did we move here..."

That was the routine every winter for a few years. Coldsnap followed by tears of regret

That said, I don't see myself doing this 50 more times. Something has to give
We moved to the Okanagan last year after about 25 years in Vancouver. Its till too cold here for me and I was one of those idiots Mtn biking to work in Winnipeg in the winter. Somewhere really warm is a much better plan!

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Hmmmm, did she pull out a large roll of $20 bills to pay for her purchases?

Last time I wore a mini outdoors was in September and the only time I wear heels is for reindeer games. Same goes for mini skirts. I don't know how Winnipeg girls do it but I don't see anything sexy in thighs turning blue from cold and large, frosty chunks breaking off.

Okay, I've vented enough about cold, let's return our focus to hockey. Well, and maybe some chemistry.
:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad