Post-Game Talk: Quack Quack, Jets win 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Good comments - there was one in particular that I honed in on -

The PP that Smitty scored on late in the game - did anyone else notice that prior to that play, Pionk wound up from the point with no one near the front of the net - easy save and a whistle.
At that point, he's pulled off the ice for the last few seconds of the PP (and you can tell he's wondering why) and Smitty comes out and the same play develops in the dying seconds.
Only this time Smitty hangs on and waits for his forwards to set up camp in front of the net. He floats one in and scores through the traffic.
I hope Pionk was watching - if he wants to be offensive, he needs to be smarter.

Yeah that sequence sums up must of my issues with Pionk offensively. He's too trigger happy and doesn't show enough patience at times. It's not always the right play to just whip it on net all the time. He will get his points due to the sheer volume he puts towards the net but on the PP you need to open up good looks.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Given the last few years I get why Bowness is really stepping in quick to nip things in the bud. They are trying to change the culture of this group and a strong hand is needed when they start to revert as they did the last game and a bit. My only concern is that this heavy-handedness has an expiration date with today's athletes. They need to get this culture fully ingrained this year imo.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
My turning point of the game was when Bowness, behind the bench, said “For F***’s Sake“ at roughly the same time I did.
bruce-boudreau-darn.gif

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
So the team gets 40 shots on goal but only 3-4 of them come in the first 18 minutes. What must the poor coach's blood pressure be after that first 18 minutes, especially when a bottom feeder has taken more than a dozen shots at us?

Glad we won and I loved the third period when the "real" Jets appeared, but the overall game sure demonstrates why coaches turn grey at such an early age.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Don't have any issue rewarding a consistent effort on a day where it took most everyone else some time to get going.

He's growing on me, don't think he has the skill to hang long term in the top 6 but he's making the most of his opportunity.
Definitely not when we're healthy, but at the moment I'd say him or Barron are the best options. Or Harkins but I don't see them giving him the chance. I also think he has more skill than you're giving him credit for. He's no less skilled than Alex Burrows was and I see him as a very similar type of player. Not someone who'll ever drive his own line but you can put him with two talented players and he could complement them well. His puck retrieval skills really helped the Dubois line today.

Reactions: LowLefty

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015

Nice to see Bones speak so openly about the KEY issue that has plagued the team for literally years - just a lack of consistent emotion and competitive spirit- a lack of passion and really caring for what is happening around them on the ice. Hockey has to be more than simply "having fun out there" which has been coined by Scheifs for as long as I can remember. When this team learns to play with some intensity, and particularly ,to really care for one another`s well-being, they will be exciting to watch. But they will have to learn that the road is hard and difficult and that they must make sacrifices along the way if they are to succeed.

But it`s one thing to recognize the issue and another to bring about change . We will see if Bones can press the right buttons to bring about that change.... .

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Definitely not when we're healthy, but at the moment I'd say him or Barron are the best options. Or Harkins but I don't see them giving him the chance. I also think he has more skill than you're giving him credit for. He's no less skilled than Alex Burrows was and I see him as a very similar type of player. Not someone who'll ever drive his own line but you can put him with two talented players and he could complement them well. His puck retrieval skills really helped the Dubois line today.

Sure in the right scheme he might be able to fit that type of role. My question is can he keep this level of effort up. I always question how much of this is an adrenaline boost to getting a chance vs. It being what we can expect over the long term. I guess we will just have to wait and see. I certainly never saw anything special with him on the Moose but I've been wrong many times before.

Reactions: Atoyot

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Sure in the right scheme he might be able to fit that type of role. My question is can he keep this level of effort up. I always question how much of this is an adrenaline boost to getting a chance vs. It being what we can expect over the long term. I guess we will just have to wait and see. I certainly never saw anything special with him on the Moose but I've been wrong many times before.
As have I. There's a big discrepancy there, because this is exactly what I saw last season on the Moose. We all get our pet prospects though and I could just be seeing the good and ignoring the bad.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Nice to see Bones speak so openly about the KEY issue that has plagued the team for literally years - just a lack of consistent emotion and competitive spirit- a lack of passion and really caring for what is happening around them on the ice. Hockey has to be more than simply "having fun out there" which has been coined by Scheifs for as long as I can remember. When this team learns to play with some intensity, and particularly ,to really care for one another`s well-being, they will be exciting to watch. But they will have to learn that the road is hard and difficult and that they must make sacrifices along the way if they are to succeed.

But it`s one thing to recognize the issue and another to bring about change change. We will see if Bones can press the right buttons to bring about that change.... .

It's not easy to change a culture of complacency which is quite frankly what we had for about 3 straight years here.

He's been pretty good at getting them back on track when they slip back to old habits so far. There will be other instances of this throughout the year but imo the team has by and large has moved in the right direction with their give a shit meter. This needs to get to a point where it's ingrained and that will take some time.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I agree -

His skills in the corner are really good - he rarely loses a battle and his positioning is better than most players that think they know how to play the boards.
He's also strikes me as a smart player - he doesn't get caught out of position very often and always seems to be on the right side of the play.

His passing game is efficient for lack of a better term - he moves the puck well and moves it when he should. Nothing fancy but he gets it done - this can be refreshing sometimes after watching the skilled guys over passing and making plays more complicated than they need to be.

This player is 100% north / south - he's not dicking around out there - he's moving the puck toward the net or he's looking for someone heading in that direction. If he's out there with high skill guys, they know where he's going and what to expect.

His net front game is very good - you can tell this guy knows how to tip in pucks - he's got a nose for setting himself up for it (scored on in preseason that way). And he knows how to dig in when he finds a spot to set up net front.

Plays with an edge that most players his size, wouldn't even consider - impossible to overstate the value in players that are willing to do that - and are successful in pissing players / teams off.

What he won't turn you inside out with his puck skills, or scare goalies out of their net with his shot - but he does a bunch of other things that sometimes fly under the radar but are just as important

I'm going to wear out my welcome around here if I keep pumping this kids tires - but he is the type of player I love to watch along side the super skilled guys - they go hand in hand IMO.

Hope they keep him in the lineup - he's your swiss army knife that can play anywhere in a pinch.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
After the first period, I was like...

giphy.gif

After the second...

tumblr_nwtp51ctHr1ui9l41o1_250.gif

By the end of the game...

giphy.gif

The new Prediction Contest for the game against Florida has now been posted with an up-to-date leaderboard. Don't forget to sign up to create a GDT. There are plenty of them still available, including the game against the Panthers...

Teppo Numenor

Mar 14, 2016
he was waived before the start of the season he will be waived again
Waive gagner

Given the last few years I get why Bowness is really stepping in quick to nip things in the bud. They are trying to change the culture of this group and a strong hand is needed when they start to revert as they did the last game and a bit. My only concern is that this heavy-handedness has an expiration date with today's athletes. They need to get this culture fully ingrained this year imo.
The beatings must continue until morale improves.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Reactions: macmaroon

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It's not easy to change a culture of complacency which is quite frankly what we had for about 3 straight years here.

He's been pretty good at getting them back on track when they slip back to old habits so far. There will be other instances of this throughout the year but imo the team has by and large has moved in the right direction with their give a shit meter. This needs to get to a point where it's ingrained and that will take some time.
Every team needs a reminder once in awhile. It is not humanly possible to be at peak performance every minute over a 6 month period. The coach just needs to be able to reset as necessary and get everyone buying into their roles.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

But it`s one thing to recognize the issue and another to bring about change . We will see if Bones can press the right buttons to bring about that change.... .
Very well written post, and describes the Jet's problems of going deep in the playoffs. In the world of sport, you have to want it more than the other team, and that means going thru some pain, and developing a mind set of consistency. If somehow Bowness can bring this out in the team, they have the talent to win, but do they want it bad enough ?? That is the question. If Rick can't do it himself, he may have to make some personnel changes, but he'll try to change attitudes, and mind sets within the players first. Bowness was fuming after the Jets pitiful 1st period, and sent the club a message that this is "not acceptable." We'll now see how they respond. The Jets do have a bit of a ho hum attitude very often, and other games come out with great intensity, like against the Avs. That's the way they have to play all the time -- like top tier pros -- "consistent." I hope Rick can change some attitudes, and instill a winning mental attitude for the Jets.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Very well written post, and describes the Jet's problems of going deep in the playoffs. In the world of spot, you have to want it more than the other team, and that means going thru some pain, and developing a mind set of consistency. If somehow Bowness can bring this out in the team, they have the talent to win, but do they want it bad enough ?? That is the question. If Rick can't do it himself, he may have to make some personnel changes, but he'll try to change attitudes, and mind sets within the players first. Bowness was fuming after the Jets pitiful 1st period, and sent the club a message that this is "not acceptable." We'll now see how they respond. The Jets do have a bit of a ho hum attitude very often, and other games come out with great intensity, like against the Avs. That's the way they have to play all the time -- like top tier pros -- "consistent." I hope Rick can change some attitudes, and instill a winning mental attitude for the Jets.
It’s hard it seemed like Ehlers infused the team with competitiveness and two or three games in he goes down for 4 months.

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Waive gagner

The beatings must continue until morale improves.
Very well said, and Bowness cannot let up, and make excuses for the team. He has to basically say there's no excuses, you guys are Pros, and there are no games off. Players must buy into this, to build a championship type culture. I very much like how Bowness is handling things. He's raising the bar of expectations UP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad