Post-Game Talk: Quack Quack, Jets win 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Is Harkins the first waived when someone returns. Toni doesnt play but with a kid on the way and wanting players to see the organization sees them as more than just hockey players he won’t be waived.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well good to come back after a bad loss with a win. The first half wasn't great but they dominated the second half. If this teams slumps consist of 4 poor periods in a row then we will have no issues this year. All teams have some lulls in performance and if we can keep our valleys to a game or two then that will be fine and a major improvement on the last number of years where we got into some of those death spirals where we lost 5 plus games un a row.

Helle played well and made a game changing save early in the second to keep us in.

JoMo/DeMelo: Thought this pairing started slow and had a poor first half of the game. They settled a bit but are not performing like they did last year. JoMo was a bit off and DeMelo hasn't found his game yet this year.

Dillion/Pionk: For my money the best pairing on the ice tonight. They jumped into play smartly and got the stops they needed to in their own end. I am liking Pionk's play lately but he sometimes needs to look for the pass instead of taking the shot.

Samberg/Schmidt: congrats to Snerg on his first NHL goal. He needed it to make up for his major gaff. Also nice to see Schmidt pot a pair of points. Outside of the points the pairing was generally pretty solid.

Top line: Took a while to grow into the game but once they did they dominated play in the offensive end and didn't spend much time in their end. Perfetti was just a chance generating machine tonight and kept his point streak alive. He's playing some real good hockey now. Scheifele with a real strong effort and was full marks for his goal. I really like his game this year. Thought Blake had a mixed game, made some nice passes and good plays but also miffed on a fair number of passes tonight. Not really sure how much longer you can keep Cole and his vision and poise off Pp 1.

Second line: This line did nothing until Mikey was added to them to inject some much needed energy and pace. The line needs a player that has some speed and can get in on pucks. Conner got some points but I thought he was off for the most part. His moves weren't working and he was making some bad reads on his break ins. Dubois was up and down for me, he took some poor penalties. He offset that by drawing one and creating havoc playing a much more assertive offensive game. Mike had his engine going and deserved his promotion. It seems a number of his supporters on here have been right about him so far. He deserves to stay.

Third line: I thought scored on their chances but gave up an awful lot in their end as well. I'll take the goals but I didn't like how they defended tonight. Glad Barron and Melalainen got some goals. We need that secondary offense.

Fourth line: Had a couple of great shifts and generally tilted the ice when on. Can't ask for much more from your fourth. Gus with another nice game killing penalties.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Eyssimont gets the first star. Was not expecting that. They must have seen his promotion as the turning point of the game.

Don't have any issue rewarding a consistent effort on a day where it took most everyone else some time to get going.

He's growing on me, don't think he has the skill to hang long term in the top 6 but he's making the most of his opportunity.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
If it was up to me I’d wavive gag, which they clearly won’t.
good I would much rather keep gagner then toni even if it's just for press box duty

Don't have any issue rewarding a consistent effort on a day where it took most everyone else some time to get going.

He's growing on me, don't think he has the skill to hang long term in the top 6 but he's making the most of his opportunity.
we don't have a guy that can fill in long term but we have a bunch of guys that can give you a good game or two, we just need to cycle them when it isn't going well

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
good I would much rather keep gagner then toni even if it's just for press box duty

we don't have a guy that can fill in long term but we have a bunch of guys that can give you a good game or two, we just need to cycle them when it isn't going well

Gagner is my ideal Press Box Guy. Every other candidate would probably be better served getting actual game time somewhere else.

Reactions: Jet and thereturn

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

i think easy mount and Barron bring most of what Copp brought. Not really missing the guy.

ok... you were talking about waiving toni vs gagner why are you brining up other guys...
That you can only have so many guys on your roster and I prefer a lot of those guys to Gagner.

Gagner is my ideal Press Box Guy. Every other candidate would probably be better served getting actual game time somewhere else.
except the pb guy is usually the first in when there is an injury they don’t bypass the pb guy and go onto next next guy the next few games.

Reactions: bustamente

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
That you can only have so many guys on your roster and I prefer a lot of those guys to Gagner.
well that's an entirely different conversation then the one we were having, half those guys you listed have their spots locked up anyways

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
well that's an entirely different conversation then the one we were having, half those guys you listed have their spots locked up anyways
The conversation as I see it was who gets waived when Appleton, Ehlers, Stanley come back. TIn my mind it goes Toni, Harkins Gag.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
The conversation as I see it was who gets waived when Appleton, Ehlers, Stanley come back. TIn my mind it goes Toni, Harkins Gag.
yes, as of right now that's probably the order it goes....not really understanding how you went from the org not wanting to waive toni because of a kid on the way to being listed as the first person you think gets waived when people start getting healthy after a couple of posts but w/e I guess

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
yes, as of right now that's probably the order it goes....not really understanding how you went from the org not wanting to waive toni because of a kid on the way to being listed as the first person you think gets waived when people start getting healthy after a couple of posts but w/e I guess

Yes I don’t think they want to waive him right away as @voyageur pointed out. But, and I think it’s a big but I think that it’s going to be awhile before Ehlers and Apple come back and how long can you play the my wife is about to have a kid card.
Also I’m curious what they do I’m not trying to make an argument for what they will do and what I want them to do.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Well good to come back after a bad loss with a win. The first half wasn't great but they dominated the second half. If this teams slumps consist of 4 poor periods in a row then we will have no issues this year. All teams have some lulls in performance and if we can keep our valleys to a game or two then that will be fine and a major improvement on the last number of years where we got into some of those death spirals where we lost 5 plus games un a row.

Helle played well and made a game changing save early in the second to keep us in.

JoMo/DeMelo: Thought this pairing started slow and had a poor first half of the game. They settled a bit but are not performing like they did last year. JoMo was a bit off and DeMelo hasn't found his game yet this year.

Dillion/Pionk: For my money the best pairing on the ice tonight. They jumped into play smartly and got the stops they needed to in their own end. I am liking Pionk's play lately but he sometimes needs to look for the pass instead of taking the shot.

Samberg/Schmidt: congrats to Snerg on his first NHL goal. He needed it to make up for his major gaff. Also nice to see Schmidt pot a pair of points. Outside of the points the pairing was generally pretty solid.

Top line: Took a while to grow into the game but once they did they dominated play in the offensive end and didn't spend much time in their end. Perfetti was just a chance generating machine tonight and kept his point streak alive. He's playing some real good hockey now. Scheifele with a real strong effort and was full marks for his goal. I really like his game this year. Thought Blake had a mixed game, made some nice passes and good plays but also miffed on a fair number of passes tonight. Not really sure how much longer you can keep Cole and his vision and poise off Pp 1.

Second line: This line did nothing until Mikey was added to them to inject some much needed energy and pace. The line needs a player that has some speed and can get in on pucks. Conner got some points but I thought he was off for the most part. His moves weren't working and he was making some bad reads on his break ins. Dubois was up and down for me, he took some poor penalties. He offset that by drawing one and creating havoc playing a much more assertive offensive game. Mike had his engine going and deserved his promotion. It seems a number of his supporters on here have been right about him so far. He deserves to stay.

Third line: I thought scored on their chances but gave up an awful lot in their end as well. I'll take the goals but I didn't like how they defended tonight. Glad Barron and Melalainen got some goals. We need that secondary offense.

Fourth line: Had a couple of great shifts and generally tilted the ice when on. Can't ask for much more from your fourth. Gus with another nice game killing penalties.
Good comments - there was one in particular that I honed in on -

The PP that Smitty scored on late in the game - did anyone else notice that prior to that play, Pionk wound up from the point with no one near the front of the net - easy save and a whistle.
At that point, he's pulled off the ice for the last few seconds of the PP (and you can tell he's wondering why) and Smitty comes out and the same play develops in the dying seconds.
Only this time Smitty hangs on and waits for his forwards to set up camp in front of the net. He floats one in and scores through the traffic.
I hope Pionk was watching - if he wants to be offensive, he needs to be smarter.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Which is pretty much what the coach is doing. No issue with the strategy atm.

Reactions: FonRiesen

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Yes I don’t think they want to waive him right away as @voyageur pointed out. But, and I think it’s a big but I think that it’s going to be awhile before Ehlers and Apple come back and how long can you play the my wife is about to have a kid card.
"don't waive me, I'm having a kid"... yea really don't think that's going to work out to well for him, they waived him before and they will waive him again. I'm sure he will be ok making 750k this year..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad