Prospect Info: Prospects Part 5: IceHogs/Fuel/College & Juniors/Int'l

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nothingman*

Thinking about it and rereading and rewatching some stuff, I'm not too concerned, actually. I think Turbo's just a fairly upfront guy with his emotions and there's a mild language/cultural barrier, so he's just a tad bit more open with his annoyances than most folks we see in this sport. I guarantee you that each and every player in the AHL wishes that they were in the NHL right now instead. I haven't really seen anything to suggest that he's very pissed at the organization or is a risk to becoming a locker room cancer.

Think he's just really amped to be in the NHL now, and that's a good thing. I hope he's up here for good soon.

I think this is the main item to pull from this whole thing. I am not worried and he is perhaps just showing some frustration adjusting to the NHL sized rink and speed.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
To this point, we have gotten nothing for Leddy. Pokka has to develop into a player for the Hawks in order for them to have gotten anything for him.

Don't get me wrong, I think he'll be a good player.. but still.

Brennan's gone after this season - maybe the Hawks can get something for him at the deadline or at some point this season, I don't know and Nilsson may turn into a decent goaltender, but I doubt it'll be with the Hawks because with Crawford, Raanta and Darling, there's no room for him and he'd more than likely want a guaranteed NHL job to come back from the KHL.. again, maybe the Hawks can get something for him via trade, who knows.

Nothingman*

I wouldn't say we have 'nothing'. The plan for the trade was for prospect(s) with the cap we have. Keeping the pipeline full is a smart move. I think Stan did OK.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
To this point, we have gotten nothing for Leddy. Pokka has to develop into a player for the Hawks in order for them to have gotten anything for him.

Don't get me wrong, I think he'll be a good player.. but still.

That's a ridiculous way to look at a trade. Yes, there are no guarantees, but you're discounting the future way too much. Plus, we had to shed salary. We couldn't take a roster player back.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
No matter what Pokka and Brennan do at the NHL level on their own, or in terms of what assets the Hawks may get for them in future deals in the future... Pokka and Brennan have been a HUGE part of Rockford having the best record in the AHL. As the best offensive defensemen on the IceHogs, they have been a big part of Rockford going from not even making the AHL playoffs last year to being the best AHL team so far this year. This can hopefully get the Rockford guys some needed Calder playoff experience as some of them make the jump to the Hawks next year in the cap crunch.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Two Wild players came away with two-game suspensions from this one, also. Sounds like it was an interesting one.

Four suspensions may seem like a lot coming out of a single game, unless you happened to catch this one.

Gogol started early getting into a fight with Rockford’s Pierre-Cedric Labrie. Kurtis Gabriel followed that up by getting into a fight with Cody Bass, both players also received an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Early in the third Gogol had the charging infraction for which he got suspended. He got a major and a game misconduct for charging, then the hit resulted in a fight with Zach Miskovic, meaning that Gogol, on top of getting a game misconduct for the hit, would have gotten ejected anyhow because it was his third major of the game. Rockford added to the penalties after that hit with Bass getting another unsportsmanlike conduct, the team getting a bench minor for unsportsmanlike conduct, and Ryan Hartman got ten minutes for abuse of officials.

That was followed shortly by Rockford’s Garret Ross getting a hooking minor that Brett Bulmer didn’t care for, so he evened things out by taking an unsportsmanlike conduct himself.

At the buzzer, despite having shamed the Wild on the scoreboard, Rockford wasn’t too happy about how the game had gone. Ryan Schnell grabbed a ten minute unsportsmanlike conduct and head coach Ted Dent took another ten for abuse of officials, the infraction that led to him sitting out of tonight’s IceHogs tilt.

All-in-all Rockford finished with 69 minutes in penalties and two suspensions. The Wild tallied 46 penalty minutes and two suspensions. It was an ugly game, especially from the Wild’s perspective.

http://gonepuckwild.com/2014/11/28/stephane-veilleux-curt-gogol-suspended-2-games/

Also some mention on twitter that the Bass suspension had to do with him leaving the bench to try to get at Gogol after Gogol's altercation with Miskovic.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
@chrismpeters: Good news for U.S. WJC fans. Blackhawks first-rounder Nick Schmaltz is back in the lineup for North Dakota after a few weeks out w/injury.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
From the twitter, it looks like the IceHogs fell in OT to the Wolves tonight. The two teams play again Saturday at 7 in Chicago so that should be on local TV for a lot of folks.

Hogs had led 3-2 in the 3rd but a Wolves shot from Brett Sopel that was tipped by Colin Fraser tied it up and the Wolves won in OT. @chrisblock was critical after the game of a breakaway scoring chance that TT missed that could have won things in OT when it was 3-on-3. From the statsheet he was a 0 plus-minus and recorded 1 shot with no points.

Also, looks like IceHogs were shorthanded and not just as a result of the Bass and Dent suspensions.

ChrisBlock @ChrisBlock · 6h 6 hours ago
#IceHogs scratches all injured: Stephen Johns (upper), Alex Broadhurst (broken arm), Mark McNeill (knee), Viktor Svedberg (misc) #Blackhawks

ChrisBlock @ChrisBlock · 2h 2 hours ago
Doesn't sound like Stephen Johns (upper) will be out long, but he's not expected to play this weekend. Mark McNeill appears doubtful Sat too

ChrisBlock @ChrisBlock · 2h 2 hours ago
Alex Broadhurst broken arm is apparently pretty severe and required surgery. He'll be out several months. #IceHogs #Blackhawks

Apparently Broadhurst's arm was broken on a Gogol hit in the Wild game and that was what led to Bass coming off the bench to get the suspension.

Two ECHL call-ups got on the score sheet. Jamie Wise scored a goal in his first AHL game and Dillon Fournier, also in his first AHL game, got an assist on a Labrie goal. Mashinter also got a goal that was assisted by Brennan and Pokka.

poes law

Nov 11, 2013
Hogs had led 3-2 in the 3rd but a Wolves shot from Brett Sopel that was tipped by Colin Fraser tied it up and the Wolves won in OT. @chrisblock was critical after the game of a breakaway scoring chance that TT missed that could have won things in OT when it was 3-on-3. From the statsheet he was a 0 plus-minus and recorded 1 shot with no points.

Two ECHL call-ups got on the score sheet. Jamie Wise scored a goal in his first AHL game and Dillon Fournier, also in his first AHL game, got an assist on a Labrie goal. Mashinter also got a goal that was assisted by Brennan and Pokka.

TT got in way too tight on the breakaway and ended up getting tripped on the successful poke check. This led to a 3 on 2 going the other way which they had forever and a day to set up and score on because TT was down.

As for Wise's goal, Ross was at the left dots, made a great pass to Wise almost trough the crease, and Wise brings it back across the crease while Clime is sliding to his left, leaving Wise a wide open net to score into.

FWIW, Wise and Fournier were wearing McNeill's and Clendening's numbers today because they were using a special jersey that's going to auctioned off and I'd guess the numbers were added to the jerseys before McNeill's injury and Clendening's call up. As soon as Wise scored, the Wolves PBP guys remarked about McNeill's scoring pace and suggesting the number was giving some goal scoring luck to whomever was wearing it.

Despite being on every goal against but the GTG, I thought Pokka had a pretty strong game. Only on the second goal against, I'd put much if any blame on him, as he had his shot blocked, but then couldn't outmuscle or outskate the opposing Wolves player who started the rush which shortly ended up in the back of the net. The first goal against was a combination of Brennan sending a really weak pass to him which Pokka was able to quickly move up to Hartman who couldn't handle it. And as mentioned earlier, the GWG was on TT.

As for Darling, he didn't look very comfortable in net. I'm not even talking about the goals against, which weren't soft, but the saves he was making looked awkward. Certainly a huge difference from his first two games in the NHL.

One of the best standouts between this game and last week's against the Wolves would be Ross. Showed some offensive ability and made some good defensive plays as well. Wolves' PBP guys did call him a Wolves' killer, so it may just be that the selective match up I've seen makes him look better than his overall progress would.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
One of the best standouts between this game and last week's against the Wolves would be Ross. Showed some offensive ability and made some good defensive plays as well. Wolves' PBP guys did call him a Wolves' killer, so it may just be that the selective match up I've seen makes him look better than his overall progress would.

I honestly think he's ready. He impressed me the most a past couple games I watched earlier in the season as far as forwards not named McNeill (and Danault). He looks more NHL ready than Shaw did when he was called up.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
If anyone is interested (or looking to pass the time until the Hawks game later tonight) the Hogs/Wolves game is going to be on channel 248 U TOO at 7 pm CT.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
I wish the Wolves were affiliated with the Hawks, but it doesn't look like that's ever going to happen. Or we could get Hogs games on TV in Chicago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad