Prospect Info: Prospects Part 4: IceHogs/Fuel/College & Juniors/Int'l

Status
Not open for further replies.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
The fact he hasn't signed yet meaning he wants to sign with another team is a possibility, if not probability. However, something to keep in mind is that Johns has demonstrated he's a little different than most college players with true NHL potential, not only be staying all 4 years when he could have turned pro as a top prospect after his 3rd year, is not even before that, but also because he has appeared genuine in his intention to stay in school and "enjoy" the experience to the very end. He has expressed in interviews that he really enjoys the college life and he knows and has probably been advised to enjoy it while it lasts. The question can be asked why not sign a contract and still stay in school and enjoy the experience to the last day, and it's a fair question. But I think a plausible answer is (again) rooted in John's expressed desire to just be a student athlete at Notre Dame and signing a professional contract changes that. It changes the way his fellow classmates would see him and puts him on a different level than them. Even though his classmates expect him to be a professional athlete, actually signing a contract essentially moves him ahead with his life before his classmates can do the same - it changes things that maybe he just doesn't want to change until it has to.

Just my optimistic $0.02.

Edit: OK, forget all that gobbledygook. It's time to celebrate. :laugh:

Last edited:

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Best news this season!!! I don't understand why he signed but wow what a great job by Bowman and company.

SLarmer28*

I don't understand why he signed but wow what a great job by Bowman and company.
Three reasons:

Rozsival (35 years old with one year left on his contract)
Brokebank (pending UFA)
Rundblad (Q's freshly minted whipping boy)

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I don't think those people ever really had a solid grasp of how drafted college player signings really tend to work. This was never really a danger of not happening.

Why would you say that it wasn't a danger he sign somewhere else? I'm thrilled Johns signed, but he could have easily waited 4 months, and signed anywhere he wanted on 8/15. He could very have easily found a team that would have effectively guaranteed him a NHL roster spot (CAR, NYI, etc). His contract would be limited to the rookie max, but playing in the NHL means he's making $1.1M per year compared to <$100K per year in the AHL.

Like I said - I'm thrilled he signed. Maybe he is the rare individual who can take a look at the long term approach, and saw the benefit in playing in a high quality organization that should be a serious competitor for a long time? Maybe he felt some loyalty to the team that drafted him. Whatever the case, really happy he signed, and hoping that Kayes isn't far behind.

Sharp1024*

Why would you say that it wasn't a danger he sign somewhere else? I'm thrilled Johns signed, but he could have easily waited 4 months, and signed anywhere he wanted on 8/15. He could very have easily found a team that would have effectively guaranteed him a NHL roster spot (CAR, NYI, etc). His contract would be limited to the rookie max, but playing in the NHL means he's making $1.1M per year compared to <$100K per year in the AHL.

Like I said - I'm thrilled he signed. Maybe he is the rare individual who can take a look at the long term approach, and saw the benefit in playing in a high quality organization that should be a serious competitor for a long time? Maybe he felt some loyalty to the team that drafted him. Whatever the case, really happy he signed, and hoping that Kayes isn't far behind.

There is something about playing for one of the top organizations.
1. Blackhawks are setup to win long term, they will be in the playoffs for next 5 years guaranteed barring some major injury to key player.
2. Playing in a top 5 hockey market, plays a huge factor.
3. Blackhawks constantly get games on NBC and Winter Classic for TV exposure. They get on TV.
4. Winning.
5. Player's market value will increase being on a winning organization, being on TV.
6. Player's can go and start on Florida and other teams and disappear.
7. Your general overall stats will increase playing for on a winning team.
8. Why wouldn't you want to play with such great players on the Hawks with the opportunity to be apart of their future.
9. Hawks have shown Loyolaty to their farm system, if your good enough to play. If it doesn't work out, the Hawks have traded players to organizations where they can immediately.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Why would you say that it wasn't a danger he sign somewhere else?

Can you find me the last Hawks prospect who went to the NCAA, refused an offer from the Hawks, and was immediately signed by another NHL team when available?

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Billy Sweatt?

Traded by the Hawks, they didn't lose him as a UFA.

Even if he did qualify, though, he is a sterling example of the sort of players who DON'T routinely sign with their rights holder once leaving college.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I see Johns is already listed on the Rockford roster..but not Tremor Van Riemsdyck..how come? They sent Reason back to Toledo to make room for Johns..Do they need to send someone else down to make room to add Van Riemsdyck.. Anyone on their roster is eligible for playoffs there if Rockford is in. Right now Rockford sits 7th in the Western Conference third with 75 Pts with the 8yh place team but ahead due to a game in hand..2 other teams are within 3 points from them..so the chase is on..Rockford has 8 games remaining to the end of the regarding season.

Last edited:

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I see Johns is already listed on the Rockford roster..but not Tremor Van Riemsdyck..how come? They sent Reason back to Toledo to make room for Johns..Do they need to send someone else down to make room to add Van Riemsdyck.. Anyone on their roster is eligible for playoffs there if Rockford is in.

TVR is hurt. Ankle I believe.

Sharp1024*

yes.

can we please stop the draft no more NCAA players now?? :laugh: :laugh:

even if we lose Hayes, Bowman and Co. will stick with their same formula as they have no room for kids and need to draft players who will take a few years to be ready for our organization.

Hey, I am believing in the formula. Since we have the core we do. No urgency to pay players right now. Just need quality role players. ETC ETC ETC. YOu know the formula. But I am all for it.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Just for a second, I'll play the "Kevin Hayes isn't signing here" game, aka "I have no idea so I'm going to throw out a guess with some loose evidence."

Kayes is part of the most dominant line college hockey has seen in many years, maybe the most dominant NCAA line ever after you factor in how much goalies have improved since the 90s.

He's also the only one on that line that's not property of the Calgary Flames.

Maybe he just doesn't want to break up a good thing.

Kevin Hayes will sign with the Flames in August after the Hawks lose his NHL rights. Calling it now.

Sharp1024*

Just for a second, I'll play the "Kevin Hayes isn't signing here" game, aka "I have no idea so I'm going to throw out a guess with some loose evidence."

Kayes is part of the most dominant line college hockey has seen in many years, maybe the most dominant NCAA line ever after you factor in how much goalies have improved since the 90s.

Kevin Hayes will sign with the Flames in August after the Hawks lose his NHL rights. Calling it now.

I really like your call...

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
yes.

can we please stop the draft no more NCAA players now?? :laugh: :laugh:

even if we lose Hayes, Bowman and Co. will stick with their same formula as they have no room for kids and need to draft players who will take a few years to be ready for our organization.

I honestly think the Hawks just go with their BPA.

Since Bowman has taken over, the Hawks have taken 37 players in 4 drafts. 14 players have went the NCAA route, 12 were taken out of the CHL - 16 took a CHL path though (Rensfeldt, Hoefflin, Mattsson, Broadhurst all went to the CHL) and 10 have been taken out of Europe/Russia.

It just so happens that the Hawks didn't take a CHL player last year. I don't think that means the Hawks prefer College/Europeans, but rather that's just how the draft shook out for them.

SLarmer28*

Losing Kevin Hayes would not be as painful as would have losing Stephen Johns. At least the Chicago Blackhawks would receive a second round compensatory pick in the 2015 NHL Draft.

Besides, the Chicago Blackhawks will be flush with forward prospects next season in Rockford:

Hartman, Ryan
McNeill, Mark
Danault, Phillip
Nordstrom, Joakim
Ross, Garret
Broadhurst, Alex
Mashinter, Brandon
Broadhurst, Terry (RFA)
Carey, Matt
Leblanc, Drew

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well..to get Hues to sign in Chicago Stanbo probably needs to give him a one way deal and assurance he will get a real chance to earn top line RW spot on the Toews line.. AT 35 TO START NEXT SEASON Hossa is already slowing up and taking a lot of maintenance days and practices off..Time he went to the third line. .So big opportunity for Hayes to grab the bras ring and star...Of course you could say the same thing if he joins his 2 BC inmates in CGY. .but would they offer all 3 guaranteed one ways? I suppose it comes down to this...as far as risking such a guaranteed one way / guaranteed nil salary..if the Hawks think Hayes can do a top line RW job now then why not take that risk.. I do not think CGY would risk 3 guaranteed nhl salaries with top time..but a team might risk that with one rookie

...and so if the Hawks believe Hayes is better now as A RW option than any other except Cane and Hossa..then it is no stretch to put him with Toews on the top line and move Hossa to line 3 which can only strengthen that line..The question is..what do the Hawks believe about K. Hayes? That without Gaudreau and Arnold he alone is not so good? OR that this year he finally blossomed to his full potential..If they believe the latter then they ought to go to the mats to sign him..If his agent refuses a guaranteed one way deal that agent should be shot. CGY is not giving 3 one ways to rookies
let alone one and if one that would be to Gaudreau..But there is another possibility if the 3 amiss want to stick together..Why not Chicago or any other team not go into bidding for all 3? IT need not be CGY
only..plenty can play the best offer most attractive place to play over just CGY for a coup of all 3.. Consider taxes..though Alberta is best in Canada as least taxed jurisdiction..lots of US cities are better..Maybe they do not like the cold climate or the out of media compared to the big markets as the most attractive place to set up shop..So several can playmate this game of get all 3 as a master coup..It might be CGY that laughs.last.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Further to the 3 amiss wanting to stay together as a line in the NHL theory..I do not know if they have the same agent or different ones but in either case if the 3 want to as a group go to the August ufa for college seniors deadline and then offer themselves to the most attractive offer/place/opportunity. .that would be a sensible strategy by their agent or agents.. It makes no sense if that is their wish that Gaudreau and Arnold just sign earlier with CGY and wait till after the deadline to have Hayes jump on board there with them..Why not instead all wait till after they become free agents and sign together in the place and offer they find the most attractive considering all factors..If it goes past the deadline and they decide to offer themselves as a 3-some then who knows what team wins their prize? Maybe Chicago doesn't when trades Cane to Buffalo? The point is if they all go to ufa status to offer themselves only as a group then it becomes a very interesting free fir all. .no guarantee CGY wins the.prize..So for those conspiracy guys saying Hayes will wait to sign after the free agent season opens in August for unsigned college gu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad