Prospects and Marlies Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Good for Bracco.

First goal was a bit of a cheesy one but a goal is a goal. He should have a huge year in Kitchener this season and hopefully plays his way onto the WJC team.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
When Babcock says, we have 5 or 6 kids that will score big in this league who do you think he means?

Obviously the big 3 Willy Marner Matthews..But who are the next 3? Does he consider Rielly a kid? Does he consider Kadri a kid?

My best guess for who he is talking about with the other 3 are: Soshnikov, Brown, Korshkov/Rychel...Thats just my guess. I think he really likes Sosh and Brown.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Shame, even though I only saw them from the short highlights I thought that Greenway showed some good speed and offensive skill. Maybe he's still not all there defensively.

Also means Bracco survives a round of cuts.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Shame, even though I only saw them from the short highlights I thought that Greenway showed some good speed and offensive skill. Maybe he's still not all there defensively.

Are those WJHC cuts?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
U.S. team down to 33 players at Evaluation Camp
First-round pick Max Jones among 10 sent home vying for World Junior team
by Adam Kimelman @NHLAdamK / NHL.com Deputy Managing Editor

https://www.nhl.com/news/usa-makes-cuts-at-world-juniors-evaluation-camp/c-281268712

Other players cut were forwards Joseph Anderson (New Jersey Devils), Rem Pitlick (Nashville Predators) and Brendan Warren (2017 draft eligible), and defensemen Sean Day (New York Rangers), James Greenway (Toronto Maple Leafs) and Joseph Masonius (Pittsburgh Penguins).

Greenway's older brother, forward Jordan Greenway, remains at camp. The Greenways were trying to become the third set of brothers to play for the U.S. at the World Junior Championship. Peter Ferraro and Chris Ferraro did it in 1992 and 1993, and Neal Broten and Aaron Broten in 1979.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

The year following should provide a better opportunity to make the team once he has more experience.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Nice little reality check before the hype train gets out of control around here. Greenway has a lot of growing in his game to do.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
Going to be a big year for gauthier. Sink of swim time.

Not really. if he continues to improve the Leafs are not going to give up on him yet. This is not the old Leafs that had no interest in developing and waiting for prospects to develop

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Not really. if he continues to improve the Leafs are not going to give up on him yet. This is not the old Leafs that had no interest in developing and waiting for prospects to develop

Arbitration pending to buyout Jared Cowen (25)
Clock ticking to sign Tony Cameranesi (22; offered AHL contract instead)
Didn't qualify Colin Smith (23)
Didn't qualify Stuart Percy (23)
Didn't qualify Sam Carrick (24)
Traded Scott Harrington (23)
Traded Jerem Morin (24)
Traded Cody Donaghey (19)
Traded Ryan Rupert (21)
Traded Casey Bailey (24)
Traded Richard Panik (24)
Waived Petter Granberg (23)
Traded Chris Gibson (22)
Traded Matt Finn (21)
Traded Tom Nilsson (22)
Traded Taylor Beck (24)
Traded Carter Verhaeghe (20)
Didn't qualify Max Everson (22)
Traded Jamie Devane (24)
Didn't re-sign Brandon Kozun (25)
Traded Tim Erixon (24)
Traded Tyler Biggs (22)
Didn't qualify Eric Knodel (25)
Didn't qualify Andrew MacWilliam (25)
Traded Brad Ross (23)
Traded Greg McKegg (23)

Traded David Broll (22)
Traded Carter Ashton (23)
Traded Jerry D'Amigo (23)
Didn't qualify Kenny Ryan (22)
Didn't qualify Cameron Abney (23)

Red marks Shanahan's arrival. (Apr. 11, 2014)
Orange marks Dubas & Hunter interim duties. (Apr 12, 2015)
Black marks Lamierello's arrival. (Jul. 23, 2015)

I am not trying to comment on whether these were the right or wrong decisions to make.
Just laying out the facts regarding Toronto moving young pieces (25 and under), where the argument can be made, "waiting for [the prospect] to develop". There actually have been a lot for a team "valuing youth", "trying to build from within" and "develop their own players".

Now, my opinion: I feel Lou has demonstrated (and the crew as a whole since Shanahan arrived, but especially Lou) a penchant for getting rid of a player that another regime brought in. I do not think that is good enough reason to trade a player, and I have had some qualms with Lou's management of minor assets.

Last edited:

THIRTEEN

Jun 28, 2016
Greenway will be good. He has to round out his game offensively and defensively, but has a swagger that all good players have.

Also, to those that continually hound Jeremy Bracco, remember that hands and vision cannot be taught.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Nice little reality check before the hype train gets out of control around here. Greenway has a lot of growing in his game to do.

Of course he does. He's a kid just drafted. Not sure why you are saying this Ernie.
Are people pumping him up beyond his level already?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Odd that someone would apparently prefer prospects to do poorly in order to keep hype down, instead of performing well and being better prospects.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Greenway will be good. He has to round out his game offensively and defensively, but has a swagger that all good players have.

Also, to those that continually hound Jeremy Bracco, remember that hands and vision cannot be taught.

ya and I bet hes pissed he got cut ,likely not going to have many 18 year olds on defence ,I stillwish he was going to junior ,

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
I am not trying to comment on whether these were the right or wrong decisions to make.
Just laying out the facts regarding Toronto moving young pieces (25 and under), where the argument can be made, "waiting for [the prospect] to develop". There actually have been a lot for a team "valuing youth", "trying to build from within" and "develop their own players".
Seems to me like a pretty typical number of under-25 players to let go for any organization over a 2-3 year period. There's always tons of turnover at those ages, particularly with ELCs expiring or players having a brief window to show they're up to it after Junior or the NCAA... You usually have a pretty damn good idea of a player's trajectory by the time they turn 22. (Yeah, yeah, there are exceptions... but I'm mainly talking about tweener prospects) This 'Detroit' model people often refer to only makes sense in the context of players who are actually producing in the AHL.

And as you said, that's not even getting into whether any of those listed players was worth keeping around or did/will turn into something... With a brief, superficial skim of that list, I literally don't see a single player where I have any inkling they'll turn into a solid NHLer worth rooing over their departure someday. Harrington could be a 3rd-pairing guy someday, for example, but that's not the type of player you should ever be missing... We're trying to build a championship squad, not a collection of dime-a-dozen, competent NHLers (or as you said yourself, 'minor assets')

(I have a general pet peeve about every 'prospect' seemingly being given infinite time to 'develop' on these boards, though I suppose we all do root for them to develop if we're on here. I honestly don't know what age posters think isn't "too soon" to evaluate a prospect. It seems it's only not "too soon" once a player's literally become an NHLer or their contract expires and no other NHL team picks them up.)

I digress, apologies for my mini-rant!

Last edited:

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009

What hype train?
Folk can't get excited about a prospect?
Most common theme I have read on here is that he is a talented kid, but needs time to refine his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad