Prospects and Marlies Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
That's one way to justify a position, ignore actual age, and focus on where the player has been developed.

Hyman 24, Gauthier 21 and here you are saying Hyman gets to age 25-26 but Gauthier get to age 22?

That's what I was trying to say, Hyman is new to Leafs so he's a great prospect whereas a player 2-3 years younger is nearing their end.

Unfortuantely that's exactly what happens. Hockey is often a game of politics and it often will result in a player who SHOULD get more time, NOT getting more time. It's unfortuante but that's sometimes the way it works. It's very similar to how a bigger contract player will get more opportunities than a smaller contract player, even if the smaller contract player has shown a little more talent.

Hyman is a new prospect to the Leafs. He has more opportunity to make mistakes than someone who has been with the organization for three years and hasn't shown much. That's why you saw a younger player like Percy get released, where Hyman is getting a much more prominent position with the organization (in addition to other reasons but I digress).

And for what it's worth, I actually think Gauthier is much more in line with Hyman than with a guy who is on a shorter leash. Contrary to popular belief, he's really only had one year with the pro organization. He's got lots of time still, considering he has two years left on his ELC.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
I'm a bit surprised we signed Justin Holl and MA Cliché, yet we let Percy and Sam Carrick walk. Maybe these 4 never make it as regulars in the NHL anyway, but after investing time and resources to develop Percy and Carrick, would rather see them given another one year deal.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
I'm a bit surprised we signed Justin Holl and MA Cliché, yet we let Percy and Sam Carrick walk. Maybe these 4 never make it as regulars in the NHL anyway, but after investing time and resources to develop Percy and Carrick, would rather see them given another one year deal.

Cliché was signed to an AHL contract.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I am not trying to comment on whether these were the right or wrong decisions to make.
Just laying out the facts regarding Toronto moving young pieces (25 and under), where the argument can be made, "waiting for [the prospect] to develop". There actually have been a lot for a team "valuing youth", "trying to build from within" and "develop their own players".

Now, my opinion: I feel Lou has demonstrated (and the crew as a whole since Shanahan arrived, but especially Lou) a penchant for getting rid of a player that another regime brought in. I do not think that is good enough reason to trade a player, and I have had some qualms with Lou's management of minor assets.

I think you're right in the sense of management has clearly been trying to get rid of under performing prospects (though i think this trend predates Lou).

At the moment though i don't disagree with the move: cleaning out the trash of what used to be one of the worst prospect pools in the league.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
What do those numbers mean?
Higher the number the better the skater?

How good a player is overall.

Higher the number, the better the player.

The overall is made up of a ton of other categories, also based out of 100(Shooting, passing, skating etc)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
How good a player is overall.

Higher the number, the better the player.

The overall is made up of a ton of other categories, also based out of 100(Shooting, passing, skating etc)

Could be I misunderstood but didn't Marner have the lowest number of all the players shown?

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Could be I misunderstood but didn't Marner have the lowest number of all the players shown?

Well you should always take EA NHLs games with a grain of salt, they're usually really bad especially prospects, and this is from the game that released a year ago not this years game that comes out next month.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Didn't both those guys get 2-way deals, whereas Percy and Carrick had to be qualified giving them 1-ways? Maybe we offered them two-way deals and they wanted to go elsewhere.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Well you should always take EA NHLs games with a grain of salt, they're usually really bad especially prospects, and this is from the game that released a year ago not this years game that comes out next month.

Well, for video game developers, I've always been impressed by the job they do with all the 16-17 year olds. I don't know what you could be realistically expecting to think it's "really bad, especially prospects".

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
Sunk cost fallacy.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Yegor Korshkov scored twice for Russia NT B-team in a 3-2 win over HC Sochi.

Thanks Caser. Some highlights:

Korshkov is #26. 3 highlights for him in there (0:00 solo move, 2 goals at 0:55, 2:20) vs a KHL team that finished pretty high last season.

Last edited:

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Didn't both those guys get 2-way deals, whereas Percy and Carrick had to be qualified giving them 1-ways? Maybe we offered them two-way deals and they wanted to go elsewhere.

Their qualifying offers would have been two-way. They weren't signed because they weren't good enough. Holl was signed mostly because he's an RD (which the Marlies lack) and he played better than Percy last season.

Another small factor is that Percy would have had to sign a 900K+ qualifying offer, which doesn't matter towards the cap if he's in the AHL, but regardless, Percy has done nothing to warrant a 900K NHL salary. (He signed for league minimum with Pittsburgh)

Cliche was an AHL signing so it doesn't matter.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga

I enjoyed that! It's much more fun seeing players outside of boring "professional" interview situations.

Milano calling Honka "cocky" was good. Perlini had a few funny comments too. I also laughed when Brown thought his rating would be "67" (a nod to the Leafs) and Marner didn't get it right away (he responded with "oh my god!" thinking it was too low).

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Their qualifying offers would have been two-way. They weren't signed because they weren't good enough. Holl was signed mostly because he's an RD (which the Marlies lack) and he played better than Percy last season.

Another small factor is that Percy would have had to sign a 900K+ qualifying offer, which doesn't matter towards the cap if he's in the AHL, but regardless, Percy has done nothing to warrant a 900K NHL salary. (He signed for league minimum with Pittsburgh)

Cliche was an AHL signing so it doesn't matter.

Didn't realize Cliché was an AHL contract, so that makes sense, but I thought Percy was better than Holl in the AHL playoffs. I get the RD thing, but still think Percy has more chance of making the NHL.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Didn't realize Cliché was an AHL contract, so that makes sense, but I thought Percy was better than Holl in the AHL playoffs. I get the RD thing, but still think Percy has more chance of making the NHL.

That was one move made so far this summer that didn't go the Leafs way. Percy was a former 1st rd. pick who had some real value at one point and was rumoured in a bunch of big deals. They end up not extending him a qualifying offer and he signs in the first 10 minutes of free agency. They end up with nothing.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
That was one move made so far this summer that didn't go the Leafs way. Percy was a former 1st rd. pick who had some real value at one point and was rumoured in a bunch of big deals. They end up not extending him a qualifying offer and he signs in the first 10 minutes of free agency. They end up with nothing.

Imo if any team was willing to give up assets to aquire Percy the leafs would have done it.
Taking a chance on a free wallet is a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->