Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread March 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Very, very impressive numbers, anyone comment on he's been playing besides the stats?

He has been his usual self- very good. I think best all around defender in the league. But certainly top 3.
And I think he doesn't get enough credit for throwing the body around especially come playoffs where he wisely knows how to raise his game. Although undersized in the height department he is all muscle. Under 6 foot but a steady 210lbs of strength. I think he will be able to handle the NHL rigors once he gets older and size shouldn't be a concern with him in my view. Wouldn't be a stretch to say he's in the best shape of any player on the team

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
He has been his usual self- very good. I think best all around defender in the league. But certainly top 3.
And I think he doesn't get enough credit for throwing the body around especially come playoffs where he wisely knows how to raise his game. Although undersized in the height department he is all muscle. Under 6 foot but a steady 210lbs of strength. I think he will be able to handle the NHL rigors once he gets older and size shouldn't be a concern with him in my view. Wouldn't be a stretch to say he's in the best shape of any player on the team

I caught a few Erie games on SN Friday night hockey and was suprised with how physical he was, in the London game especially. He didn't throw the body around too much in WJC, and he's never described that way here on the forms, but seems like he definitely has that capability.

Seems like he's definitely a step ahead at least of where Percy and Finn were in their draft +1 years, and we all had pretty high hopes for them. Seems like projecting him as having two-way top 4 capabilities wouldn't be a stretch.

All the more encouraging is the fact that he's found another level so far in these playoffs.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
I caught a few Erie games on SN Friday night hockey and was suprised with how physical he was, in the London game especially. He didn't throw the body around too much in WJC, and he's never described that way here on the forms, but seems like he definitely has that capability.

Seems like he's definitely a step ahead at least of where Percy and Finn were in their draft +1 years, and we all had pretty high hopes for them. Seems like projecting him as having two-way top 4 capabilities wouldn't be a stretch.

All the more encouraging is the fact that he's found another level so far in these playoffs.

I'm hoping Erie gets to round 3 vs Kitchener or London and likely televised games where you all can watch and I can watch the road games. When he wants to be he can be physical. You don't really need to be every single game in ohl regular season but come playoffs it's what separates teams. Dermott was that guy last year and a year older now I expect more. But Saginaw was an easy opponent, if they face better teams he will need to bring that physical presence that I know he has. I think he certainly has tools to be an all around 3-4 defender in NHL. Likely AHL next year which will be good growing step for him to gauge his future better

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
I'm hoping Erie gets to round 3 vs Kitchener or London and likely televised games where you all can watch and I can watch the road games. When he wants to be he can be physical. You don't really need to be every single game in ohl regular season but come playoffs it's what separates teams. Dermott was that guy last year and a year older now I expect more. But Saginaw was an easy opponent, if they face better teams he will need to bring that physical presence that I know he has. I think he certainly has tools to be an all around 3-4 defender in NHL. Likely AHL next year which will be good growing step for him to gauge his future better

Yeah, it would be nice to catch a couple Erie games.

I personally have his ceiling a touch ahead of Rinat Valiev. Their draft +1 years were pretty similar. The have similar build and style of play. Valiev has handled himself quite well is his 1st pro season, so hopefully Dermott has a smooth transition next year.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Yeah, it would be nice to catch a couple Erie games.

I personally have his ceiling a touch ahead of Rinat Valiev. Their draft +1 years were pretty similar. The have similar build and style of play. Valiev has handled himself quite well is his 1st pro season, so hopefully Dermott has a smooth transition next year.

I think he will. He's a very consistent player that adapts to many situations. But you never know with any kid. I just really like his work ethic and focus. Combine that with talent and he should only continue to grow

If they get to round 3 and face London I'm positive sportsnet will pick up 1-2 games at the least

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Leivo-Arcobello-Hyman
Soshnikov-Nylander-Brown
Kapanen-Leipsic-Frattin
Carrick-Gauthier-Smith

Brennan-Campbell
Loov-Valiev
Percy-Holl

Sparks
Bibeau

--
How close am I with a roster, probably forgot someone.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Leivo-Arcobello-Hyman
Soshnikov-Nylander-Brown
Kapanen-Leipsic-Frattin
Carrick-Gauthier-Smith

Brennan-Campbell
Loov-Valiev
Percy-Holl

Sparks
Bibeau

--
How close am I with a roster, probably forgot someone.

Connor Carrick, Tobias Lindberg .. Also not sure which Smith you have on there, but there is Ben and Colin - actually wait, is Ben Smith eligible for the playoffs?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Leivo - Nylander - Hyman
Soshnikov - Arcobello - Brown
Kapanen - C. Smith - Leipsic
Lindberg - Gauthier - S. Carrick

Brennan - C. Carrick
Valiev - Campbell
Percy - Loov

Sparks
Bibeau

Loaded line up .. Many prospects

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Connor Carrick, Tobias Lindberg .. Also not sure which Smith you have on there, but there is Ben and Colin - actually wait, is Ben Smith eligible for the playoffs?

I don't think Ben Smith has ever been on the Marlies roster. Even if he was, I kinda doubt they would bump out a prospect for him.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Leivo - Nylander - Hyman
Soshnikov - Arcobello - Brown
Kapanen - C. Smith - Leipsic
Lindberg - Gauthier - S. Carrick

Brennan - C. Carrick
Valiev - Campbell
Percy - Loov

Sparks
Bibeau

Loaded line up .. Many prospects

Every single player with the exception of C.Smith, S. Carrick and A. Bibeau have player games with the leafs this year.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Lindberg looks like he could be a very good middle 6 winger.

I thought Soshnikov-Gauthier-Lindberg would have been a good future 3rd line. Maybe Hyman is in there somewhere too.

We've got a lot of good middle six wingers coming up so he's got to stand out. He's definitely doing that right now as a 20 year old rookie with less than two years of North American exposure.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I don't think Ben Smith has ever been on the Marlies roster. Even if he was, I kinda doubt they would bump out a prospect for him.

There's this news release on Feb 29th that implies that Ben Smith was with the Marlies if only on paper:

http://www.marlies.ca/news/news.asp?story_id=3776

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced Monday that the club has recalled forwards William Nylander, Kasperi Kapanen, Nikita Soshnikov, Zack Hyman, and Ben Smith from the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League (AHL). In addition, forwards Mark Arcobello, Brendan Leipsic and Josh Leivo were loaned to the Marlies.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
I thought Soshnikov-Gauthier-Lindberg would have been a good future 3rd line. Maybe Hyman is in there somewhere too.

We've got a lot of good middle six wingers coming up so he's got to stand out. He's definitely doing that right now as a 20 year old rookie with less than two years of North American exposure.

I would prefer it was our future 4th line, as it would mean we have a decent top 9.

For instance:

JVR - Stamkos - Marner
Laine - Nylander - Hyman
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Lindberg - Gauthier - Sosh

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Looks like Andrew Neilson's season is about to end. Trailing 4-0 after the 1str period tonight and down 3-1 in games to Regina.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
The new Finnish goalie the Marlies got looked pretty decent tonight vs the crunch. Drouin goes back and forth from being the best player on the ice to coughing up the puck like a rookie scrub.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Lethbridge with their backs against the wall. Down 4-0 after 1, already down 3-1 in the series.

Hopefully Nielsen can save em.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
The new Finnish goalie the Marlies got looked pretty decent tonight vs the crunch. Drouin goes back and forth from being the best player on the ice to coughing up the puck like a rookie scrub.

Looks like a project at 1st glance. Good size and athleticism - a lot like Sparks style wise. Has to work on staying tall in the b-fly and rebound control. He got the win - nice start for KK the goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad