Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread March 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Its clear the Leafs have one of the deeps prospects pools in the league, and in the next year or two many of them will be knocking on the door (if they aren't already).

My predictions between now and 2017/2018:

Nylander [Keep]
Marner [Keep]
Brown [Keep]
Soshnikov [Keep]
Lindberg [Keep]
Johnson [Keep]
C. Smith [Keep]
Timashov [Keep]
Kapanen [Trade]
Hyman [Trade]
Leipsic [Trade]
Leivo [Trade]
Gauthier [Trade]
Dzerkails [Trade/Not Sign]

Dermott [Keep]
Nielsen [Keep]
Valiev [Keep]
Carrick [Keep]
Loov [Trade]
Percy [Trade]

Not sure I understand the bolded. Some of those guys seem like they have a decent shot at a good NHL career. Hyman, Leipsic, Leivo, and Gauthier all seem like valuable top 9 / bottom 6 guys who could play key roles in future success.

It's also likely WAY too early to give up on a guy like Dzerkals who has shown a ton of talent in his first year in NA.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Good catch. No idea if they do but Minnesota would be a great place to have a regional scout based out of.

I assume Cameranesi and Toninato had great things to say about Toronto and it rubbed off on a few of them.

I have no idea what they see in Corrin to be honest. Seems to me like a player they will give a shot down in the ECHL.

Thanks. The bolded makes sense.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Thank god you're not GM

Thanks for the productive insight! :handclap: All I was doing was making predictions...

Seriously, do you expect that we are going to have an NHL team of just under 25 year olds by 2017/2018? Some of these players are going to force moves on our management. They'll be too good for the AHL (values will start diminishing), but not good enough to make our club.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Not sure I understand the bolded. Some of those guys seem like they have a decent shot at a good NHL career. Hyman, Leipsic, Leivo, and Gauthier all seem like valuable top 9 / bottom 6 guys who could play key roles in future success.

It's also likely WAY too early to give up on a guy like Dzerkals who has shown a ton of talent in his first year in NA.

They were just predictions (although in hind-sight, I agree it is a bit silly). At the end of the day, ALL of our prospects will not be with us long term, and its inevitable that some of them will get traded at some point (IE: Chicago with Ladd/Byfuglien/Versteeg/Saad/etc). Simply asset management.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
What is funny that when we had all the guys we traded at the deadline playing for the Leafs, no one on this board thought the Marlies would win one game against the Leafs in a seven game series.

I bet that opinion has now changed. Sure would hope so.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Maybe he could be our answer at the 3C in the future?

Matthews-Nylander-Toninato-Gauthier?

6'2-6'0-6'2-6'5

Toninatos biggest problem was skating - which good for the Leafs is fixable.

He'd fit very well into the 3rd / 4th line with skill and some goal scoring ability - which seems exactly what the Leafs new team building philosophy seems to be predicated on.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Its clear the Leafs have one of the deeps prospects pools in the league, and in the next year or two many of them will be knocking on the door (if they aren't already).

My predictions between now and 2017/2018:

Nylander [Keep]
Marner [Keep]
Brown [Keep]
Soshnikov [Keep]
Lindberg [Keep]
Johnson [Keep]
C. Smith [Keep]
Timashov [Keep]
Kapanen [Trade]
Hyman [Trade]
Leipsic [Trade]
Leivo [Trade]
Gauthier [Trade]
Dzerkails [Trade/Not Sign]

Dermott [Keep]
Nielsen [Keep]
Valiev [Keep]
Carrick [Keep]
Loov [Trade]
Percy [Trade]

you know that kapanen projects as top six right? hand leivo, leipsic and hyman look fine at the nhl level? and every coach at every level puts Gauthier in key situations?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Toninatos biggest problem was skating - which good for the Leafs is fixable.

He'd fit very well into the 3rd / 4th line with skill and some goal scoring ability - which seems exactly what the Leafs new team building philosophy seems to be predicated on.

I had heard that it has improved? Maybe not a speedster but if he's average speed and brings other tools to the table it helps

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
toninato imo has average nhl speed. he has great finish and 2-3rd line vision. I'd rate him as a slightly slower bozak.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Don't have much knowledge of the WHL, but I assume that would be a pretty big upset.

On the plus side, with the lack of Dmen on the Marlies, maybe Nielsen could get a few regular season games in before the cavalry returns.

It's not necessarily unexpected. Coming into the series the Hurricanes had to shutdown Sanford, Brooks, and Steel. They haven't done that yet. Edmonton is up 2-1 against Brandon in what could be a huge upset.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Yeah. I love Loov's game, and when he first came over I really thought he was going to be a player, but his game hasn't seemed to have progressed at all in the 2 years since then.

Well I do still like him, but he's likely going to be a bottom pairing guy.

Valiev IMO is our best prospect on D - and that's not to take away from Dermott, but I'm just partial to Valiev at this time.

APV

Sep 28, 2009
Marlies Playoff Lineup

Im interested to see what the Marlies lineup will look like come Calder Cup playoff time. It looks like there will be quite a few players players to choose from and a big decision on Marner's role, should he join the team.

Anyone want to take a stab at a lineup?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
so about that lindberg

g3345_f-maxage-0.gif

Big bodied player with speed and some skill .. Good combination. Like his upside as a third liner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad