Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread March 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
super dave, why is it a stiff like marincin is able to get the tryout he is getting and is still not impressing that well. People succeed in the NHL because higher ups want them to. Its always better to keep people they have scouted and drafted rather then free agents. Its job security. That is after all what the supporting staff is getting paid to do isn't it?

Brennan is a winner, teams he has played on perform very well. Marlies haven't missed much of a beat with with all of the players they have playing up. There was a bump in the road but they seem to have adjusted well. Only one still down is Brennan and he is scoring still.

Not sure what the top 4 d man you see in Gardiner. Talk about someone always out of position. He also has more turnovers then most of the d guys and he is extremly weak in the corners. Not seeing the top 4 and would bet if they could get rid of him they would.

Players are told to go back into the minors , work hard , address issues and you will get your chance. +- is used when its convenient to do so for people doing comparisons. For Campbell its a huge thing because thats his thing but Brennan is only a couple behind him and now its a bad measuring tool? I agree it is but it usually works to the other persons benefit when comparing.

For a team that has a terrible power play(Leafs) and can't score goals, and a guy like brennan who is only 26 or so sitting there, why is that not worth a longer look?

Someone will go against the grain in the league and give him a real tryout and they will be happy they did. I think given the chance to prove himself he will make good on it.

.....so you think Brennan, if given the opportunity, would outperform Gardiner?

Are you a troll or something? Or Brennan's dad? Over half your posts are about him.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
super dave, why is it a stiff like marincin is able to get the tryout he is getting and is still not impressing that well. People succeed in the NHL because higher ups want them to. Its always better to keep people they have scouted and drafted rather then free agents. Its job security. That is after all what the supporting staff is getting paid to do isn't it?

Brennan is a winner, teams he has played on perform very well. Marlies haven't missed much of a beat with with all of the players they have playing up. There was a bump in the road but they seem to have adjusted well. Only one still down is Brennan and he is scoring still.

Not sure what the top 4 d man you see in Gardiner. Talk about someone always out of position. He also has more turnovers then most of the d guys and he is extremly weak in the corners. Not seeing the top 4 and would bet if they could get rid of him they would.

Players are told to go back into the minors , work hard , address issues and you will get your chance. +- is used when its convenient to do so for people doing comparisons. For Campbell its a huge thing because thats his thing but Brennan is only a couple behind him and now its a bad measuring tool? I agree it is but it usually works to the other persons benefit when comparing.

For a team that has a terrible power play(Leafs) and can't score goals, and a guy like brennan who is only 26 or so sitting there, why is that not worth a longer look?

Someone will go against the grain in the league and give him a real tryout and they will be happy they did. I think given the chance to prove himself he will make good on it.

Brennan has been with several organizations and hasn't been able to survive in the nhl. his skills just don't translate

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015

Marincin is not a stiff. Do you believe Babcock has no judgement?
Gardiner is a top pairing defenceman, doesn't play with Reilly because they both play left defence and to spread out the talent. Every metric supports Gardiner's great play.You claim he is high in turnovers, do you count them every game? Do you count his good plays? Do you watch his gap control? Do you understand where Babcock wants him positioned? Are you a Polak fan?
Brennan will never make the NHL. He has some ability on offense in the AHL, but is not a good skater, is very weak defensively and does not have great iq for defence.
He is a career minor leaguer.

coachbob

Jan 11, 2004
ONTARIO
Visit site
Can someone post what they think the Marlies playoff roster will look like? Their season lasts one week longer than the NHL season so it should give the Marlies a week to set up their playoff roster.
Which current Leafs are eligible for the AHL playoffs.
Also, which OHL players might get in some Marlie playoff action if their playoff season ends prematurely?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Yeah.. it's just a conspiracy and the world is out to get Brennan.

Brennan just isn't that good. That's the bottom line. Plenty of players have dominated the AHL and never got a sniff in the NHL. For example, just look at Corey Locke. He was a dominant forward from 2007 to 2012 in the AHL but couldn't stick in the NHL. Do you think the higher ups didn't want him to succeed too?

Brennan's problem is simply that he doesn't think the game well enough to be in the NHL, nor does he move around good enough. Like I said, he's probably capable of bottom pairing minutes with some PP time but aside from that, he's really just a below average defenceman. I don't think you realize how the gap between the AHL and the NHL is fairly substantial. You touch on Gardiners turnovers, beign weak and bad pinches, but completely ignore that Brennan is far more worst than Gardiner in that aspect... at the AHL level. Chicago and the Islanders had the rights to Brennan in the last few years and didn't give him a chance either... there's a reason for that.

+/- was a stat used back in the day. It's been deemed a very useless stat for quite sometime. It's really not hard to understand why it's a useless stat to determine if a player is good defensively or not.

But I get it. You like Brennan and think he's easily better than Marincin even though they play completely different roles and play very differently. I completely disagree, and obviously Babcock disagrees very much, but it's your opinion. And I also really hope you didn't originally bring in Gardiner in this discussion to suggest Brennan would be better than him... I really hope not.

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Just look at the top 10 scorers in the AHL. Half of them are career minor leaguers. Is there a conspiracy? NO. As indicated in other posts, there skills are not good enough at the NHL level.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
According to the ahl.com transactions they signed G Kasimir Kaskisuo and C Tony Cameransi to the Marlies on a ATO contract.

Quick question for those who know.
I noticed Werenski signed an ATO with CBJ. Since its an ATO, does this mean he can return to play in the NCAA next year?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
According to the ahl.com transactions they signed G Kasimir Kaskisuo and C Tony Cameransi to the Marlies on a ATO contract.

Great news about Cameranesi. I didn't see any reports about him signing so far though.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON

As much as Cameranesi is being discarded by most around here, I'm thinking he's lucked into the perfect time to get a shot with the Marlies. Gauthier is currently their (Marlies) only centre under contract for next season.

Not real stoked for his prospects long term, but I would think he's got a good chance to earn a ELC.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Quick question for those who know.
I noticed Werenski signed an ATO with CBJ. Since its an ATO, does this mean he can return to play in the NCAA next year?

I believe Werenski signed an ELC beginning next season, as well as an ATO in order to play for Cbus farm club.

So no he would not be eligible.

Seems teams will be guarding against not only a 2017 expansion draft, but also a 2018 one, as historically highly touted guys like him and Kyle Connor would burn their 1st years by playing a few NHL games at this time of year.

Friedman explained it in his 30 thoughts column.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
My top 20 prospects rankings if we get Jimmy Vesey.

1. 1st Round Pick (TOR 2016)
2. Mitchell Marner
3. William Nylander
4. Jimmy Vesey
5. Kasperi Kapanen
6. 1st Round Pick (PIT 2016)
7. Travis Dermott
8. 2nd Round Pick (TOR 2016)
9. Nikita Soshnikov
10. Andreas Johnson
11. Rinat Valiev
12. Connor Brown
13. Andrew Nielsen
14. Jeremy Bracco
15. Martins Dzierkals
16. 2nd Round Pick (WAS 2016)
17. Dmytro Timashov
18. Frederik Gauthier
19. Brendan Leipsic
20. Tobias Lindberg

Brown is very low and where's Hyman?

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I believe Werenski signed an ELC beginning next season, as well as an ATO in order to play for Cbus farm club.

So no he would not be eligible.

Seems teams will be guarding against not only a 2017 expansion draft, but also a 2018 one, as historically highly touted guys like him and Kyle Connor would burn their 1st years by playing a few NHL games at this time of year.

Friedman explained it in his 30 thoughts column.

And even if it was just an ATO, it would make him ineligible for the NCAA

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

Yeah I was thinking that after, as soon as they get paid for playing hockey, they would lose their eligibility, that's why CHLers can't go the NCAA route.

They don't even need to be paid. Any compensation in any form can be enough to make a player ineligible to play.

The CHL is actually an interesting case. I think the major issue is less the stipend that players receive weekly, and more the fact that they can technically end up playing against players who have pro contracts. So because a player is playing against Marner, he's essentially ruled as a professional player in the eyes of the NCAA.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
This is just speculation but I think TJ Brennan should probably lose some weight to help with his mobility because he's a pretty big guy from what I've seen of him

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
I'm also curious what the playoff lines would look like, and just for fun lets throw Marner in the lineup too and see what kind of lines we could roll out for the post season

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Ben Smith is on waivers, so it looks like the Leafs plan on keeping Brown a little longer.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
They don't even need to be paid. Any compensation in any form can be enough to make a player ineligible to play.

The CHL is actually an interesting case. I think the major issue is less the stipend that players receive weekly, and more the fact that they can technically end up playing against players who have pro contracts. So because a player is playing against Marner, he's essentially ruled as a professional player in the eyes of the NCAA.

NCAA's strictness on this stuff is utterly self-serving and hypocritical. NCAA scholarship athletes get at least equal value in education, living expenses and accommodations to what CHL players get. Probably more considering that those U.S. universities/colleges have considerably higher tuitions than the Canadian ones CHL players earn scholarships to by playing in the CHL.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009

Thanks for the clarification

Mad Brills*

Ben Smith is on waivers, so it looks like the Leafs plan on keeping Brown a little longer.

no.

He was an emergency callup, and when komarov/froese/holland/sosh are back, he's going down.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
no.

He was an emergency callup, and when komarov/froese/holland/sosh are back, he's going down.

I mean that they could have sent him back down instead of Smith for now but kept him instead.

He will go back down eventually, I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad