Prospects and Marlies Discussion - Gauthier to the Memorial Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsTop6

Jan 9, 2009
Markham
Nah, he said you make decisions based on skill and if the size of the team becomes a problem, you correct it then. It's not like we'll avoid size until it's time for the playoffs.

Agreed, like if we load on defence, we can always balance it out if we have good quality players like the Schenn trades. And really hes 5"11 and has grown 4 inchs since being drafted, could grow another, i don't see how its a problem, yes he's light but so is most players, its all about where are they going to be year 3-5 not year 1. BPA! for both 1st!

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Just an FYI, Gauthier is definitely headed to the Memorial Cup. Quebec is hosting the Mem Cup and Rimouski is playing them in the finals, so it doesn't really matter who wins.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Just an FYI, Gauthier is definitely headed to the Memorial Cup. Quebec is hosting the Mem Cup and Rimouski is playing them in the finals, so it doesn't really matter who wins.

Quebec smoked them last night 7-4, and the Goat was -1 and won 12 faceoffs out of over 30 he took.
0g 0a.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Gauthier plays 1 bad game and some posters are back ragging on him.

:laugh: hilarious

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Quebec smoked them last night 7-4, and the Goat was -1 and won 12 faceoffs out of over 30 he took.
0g 0a.

According to a couple posters in the Sam Morin thread, Morin and his partner were -4 and were directly responsible for 3-4 goals against.

But I guess stat watching is fun and all..

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
According to a couple posters in the Sam Morin thread, Morin and his partner were -4 and were directly responsible for 3-4 goals against.

But I guess stat watching is fun and all..

Take everything with a grain of salt on here. You should know that by now. haha. Based on his first round status, he should always be doing more....

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
It's always the same. Some people are going to rag on Kessel for being all offense, and then turn right around and rag on Gauthier for being defense-first. They're most likely the same people who said that they would be fine with Kadri sacrificing offense to play a more defensively-responsible game, only to then lambaste him this season when he does exactly that. At the end of the day, some people just won't be happy until we have an Art Ross winner and Selke winner all rolled into one. With the other 11 forwards all being the runners-up.

The fact is, if Gauthier produced the way people wanted him to, he would be one of the most elite prospects in the entire game. He was picked 21st overall, not in the top 10, and he looks like a great prospect at this point, the kind that coaches will absolutely love having on their team.

The grass isn't always greener, sometimes we do actually have nice things.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
And being a great player has nothing to do with size either.

Martin St. Louis
Right Wing -- shoots L
Born Jun 18 1975 -- Laval, PQ
[39 yrs. ago]
Height 5.08 -- Weight 176 [173 cm/80 kg]

It almost like it doesn't really matter how big or small you are, as long as you have the talent, drive and motivation, you'll find a place in the NHL.

It almost doesn't matter. But people can't seem to seperate themselves from fanatically putting prospects in neat and tidy boxes.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
It's always the same. Some people are going to rag on Kessel for being all offense, and then turn right around and rag on Gauthier for being defense-first. They're most likely the same people who said that they would be fine with Kadri sacrificing offense to play a more defensively-responsible game, only to then lambaste him this season when he does exactly that. At the end of the day, some people just won't be happy until we have an Art Ross winner and Selke winner all rolled into one. With the other 11 forwards all being the runners-up.

The fact is, if Gauthier produced the way people wanted him to, he would be one of the most elite prospects in the entire game. He was picked 21st overall, not in the top 10, and he looks like a great prospect at this point, the kind that coaches will absolutely love having on their team.

The grass isn't always greener, sometimes we do actually have nice things.

So you're saying that it takes a lot of different style of players to create a team?

You're actually allowed to have a defensive forward that doesn't have to put up a ton of points?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
It almost doesn't matter. But people can't seem to seperate themselves from fanatically putting prospects in neat and tidy boxes.

Exactly why guys like Tyler Johnson are diamonds in the rough and come in and dominate the playoffs in the NHL. Oh, and he's 5'8, 183 and was undrafted.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Freddy Gauthier, the only thing that will make him loved is blocking point shots with his overgrown heart. Until then, BUST.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
So you're saying that it takes a lot of different style of players to create a team?

You're actually allowed to have a defensive forward that doesn't have to put up a ton of points?

It's shocking, I know.

The funny thing too, is that I don't think Gauthier is incapable of putting up solid numbers. The way he's been utilized in Rimouski doesn't necessarily signify the way he'll be utilized once we have complete control over his development as a pro next year. A big bonus for Freddy to look forward to is Dubas' quote about not slotting players into specific roles right off the bat. They're not going to limit his potential by saying he's a bottom-6 guy and then only put him in those situations. He might play lower on the depth chart next year, being a rookie with a lot to prove, but people shouldn't be surprised if they see him being put in more offensively-favourable situations under this new management philosophy.

Still very, very high on Gauthier, I'm excited to keep better tabs on him next year.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
guys how many 1 - 0, 2 - 1 games are we seeing in the playoffs.

playoffs is about winning battles, being strong in all zones and winning key faceoffs. looks to me like the defensive side of the game far out weighs the offensive side when it matters, hence Gauthier's minutes always going up later in games.

he will be an important player for us I've no doubt.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
guys how many 1 - 0, 2 - 1 games are we seeing in the playoffs.

playoffs is about winning battles, being strong in all zones and winning key faceoffs. looks to me like the defensive side of the game far out weighs the offensive side when it matters, hence Gauthier's minutes always going up later in games.

he will be an important player for us I've no doubt.

Looking at individual stats this year, scoring definitely appeared to be down, though that could just be the parity beginning to really kick in. Either way, Gauthier is exactly the kind of player you want on the ice when the game is hinging on one goal.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
One day in a game 7 with a one-goal lead, Gauthier is gonna block 3-straight shots on the same shift, then win the next draw, get the puck back from the defenceman and chip it out. Then some winger will grab the puck and fire it into the empty net. Half of HFBoards will rave how amazing that winger is and praise them for single handedly saving the game for us, and what hard work he did to receive that puck and slide it into the empty net.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
One day in a game 7 with a one-goal lead, Gauthier is gonna block 3-straight shots on the same shift, then win the next draw, get the puck back from the defenceman and chip it out. Then some winger will grab the puck and fire it into the empty net. Half of HFBoards will rave how amazing that winger is and praise them for single handedly saving the game for us, and what hard work he did to receive that puck and slide it into the empty net.

Ain't that the truth.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
It's shocking, I know.

The funny thing too, is that I don't think Gauthier is incapable of putting up solid numbers. The way he's been utilized in Rimouski doesn't necessarily signify the way he'll be utilized once we have complete control over his development as a pro next year. A big bonus for Freddy to look forward to is Dubas' quote about not slotting players into specific roles right off the bat. They're not going to limit his potential by saying he's a bottom-6 guy and then only put him in those situations. He might play lower on the depth chart next year, being a rookie with a lot to prove, but people shouldn't be surprised if they see him being put in more offensively-favourable situations under this new management philosophy.

Still very, very high on Gauthier, I'm excited to keep better tabs on him next year.

The hardest thing to do at the next level is focusing on the defensive game. Look at what they tried to do with Kadri. Told him to focus more on the faceoff circle and more responsible in his own zone. And his point totals went down.

Gauthier will be fine down the road. If he can be similar to a Martin Hanzal, who can play anywhere from 2nd-4th line, then I'd be very happy. Ideally a 40 point centreman who can kill penalties and win crucial faceoffs.

itsatwoliner

Feb 17, 2014
Where do you guys stand on our pending RFAs & UFAs on the Marlies/minors? Who walks? Whos out of time?

Pending RFAs
McKegg
Knodel
Ross
Granberg
Macwilliam

UFAs
Marshall
Bodie
Mclaren
Brennan
Orr

buttman*

Where do you guys stand on our pending RFAs & UFAs on the Marlies/minors? Who walks? Whos out of time?

Pending RFAs
McKegg
Knodel
Ross
Granberg
Macwilliam

UFAs
Marshall
Bodie
Mclaren
Brennan
Orr