Prospects and Marlies Discussion - Gauthier to the Memorial Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
UFAs all gone or should be

Ross, McKegg and Knodel on the bubble.
i think we should keep mckegg and give him a chance to be our 4th line center or 3rd depeding on the roster next year. He has performed well in the past two season and has some scoring talent. He needs to be given a longer look on the team aswell as levio

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
i think we should keep mckegg and give him a chance to be our 4th line center or 3rd depeding on the roster next year. He has performed well in the past two season and has some scoring talent. He needs to be given a longer look on the team aswell as levio

If anyone is going to make the jump to the Leafs in terms of Cs its Carrick.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
If anyone is going to make the jump to the Leafs in terms of Cs its Carrick.

I agree I think Carrick is more likely for a 4th-line role. However, if it came down to a 3rd like centre spot id give the reigns to McKegg. He's been a solid player for the Marlies and throughout junior. We should give him an inside shot at succeeding in the NHL

xeroy

Mar 31, 2015
Brampton
Carrick is 23, same age as Pulkkinnen. I would let him develop in the AHL for a bit longer if I could and pull him up after next year. Percy 1 more year and Granberg 1-2 years. Leivo another 1-2 years. Leipsic 1 year. McKegg 1 year. Brown 1 year. Loov 1 year. Nylander 1 year. 4th overall 1 year. 2016 1-4 OA, pull him up to NHL for 2016-2017. And pull up the next batch when they are 23-24 yo.

In 2016-2017 Leafs will break out like Florida did not too long ago. That's when we'll start forming some sort of core and start winning games and get to 10th OA.

In 2017-2018 Leafs early core players will get much better with Kadri entering the beginning of his prime years, Reilly shining as #1 or #2 D, and Gardiner a great #3D. The rest of the prospects making significant contributions, but Kadri, Reilly and Gardiner still carrying the team. Leafs probably end up 15th OA.

In 2018-2019, Leafs are showing signs they can compete, with players like 2015 4th OA, 2016 1st, Nylander, Leipsic, Brown, Percy tearing it up. New batch of prospects injected into the Leafs. Leafs probably get into playoffs or just miss it depending on what management wants.

In 2020, Leafs are a great team in the playoffs but get knocked out in the first round, gaining ~7 games of playoff experience.

In 2021, Leafs learn from their previous mistakes and start trading picks/prospects for rentals with new generation of prospects actively contributing and early core at their peak. Leafs get to 3rd round of playoffs.

In 2022, hopefully Leafs win the cup. Follow Detroit's model of drafting, developing and succeeding.

In 2023, hopefully Leafs win the cup again.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

johnson still has one year remaining on his contract, and the former seventh round pick may fulfil it, having yet to receive an entry level deal from the leafs.

This week, in an interview with johan rylander, johnson didn't appear committed to making the transition to north america. The following is a rough translation from swedish to english of his remarks.

"i have not heard so much, actually. Toronto has been busy trying to find management. I've talked a little bit with my agent, but he says that we have to deal with it later," johnson said.

"you see how [dallas stars prospect] mattias janmark developed. He just gets better here in frölunda. I see no reason not to stay."

the leafs retain johnson's rights until the 2017 nhl draft.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I agree I think Carrick is more likely for a 4th-line role. However, if it came down to a 3rd like centre spot id give the reigns to McKegg. He's been a solid player for the Marlies and throughout junior. We should give him an inside shot at succeeding in the NHL

I don't see a problem giving them both. I have often been saying that we should either trade McKegg or give him the 3rd line center spot, but have been leaning towards trading him because I had a feeling that running with a Kadri-Holland-McKegg-Carrick center core wasn't going to pass over well... I guess I should just do what I think rather than appease people, it seems to be working well for me :laugh:

I don't think Carrick, McKegg and even guys like Leivo will get anything more out of the AHL. Being placed in an environment like what the Leafs will be next year will probably be the most beneficial. They know it'll be an uphill battle and it'll be a bloodbath next year, but they'll bring it. They are all character guys and want to win.

JVR (89')-Kadri (90')-???
???-Holland (91')-Panik (91')
Komarov (87')-McKegg (92')-Leivo (93')
Frattin (88')-Carrick (92')-Bailey (91')

Youngest is Leivo at 22
Oldest is Komarov at 28

Cap dumps/FA's will likely occupy those other spots (or maybe Lupul) whom will expand that upper age, but that's still a young, but experienced core. Defense is the same sort of thing (21-29 minus Robidas at 38), and goalies will also (Bernier is 26 and the backup may be as young as 22/23).

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Carrick is 23, same age as Pulkkinnen. I would let him develop in the AHL for a bit longer if I could and pull him up after next year. Percy 1 more year and Granberg 1-2 years. Leivo another 1-2 years. Leipsic 1 year. McKegg 1 year. Brown 1 year. Loov 1 year. Nylander 1 year. 4th overall 1 year. 2016 1-4 OA, pull him up to NHL for 2016-2017. And pull up the next batch when they are 23-24 yo.

In 2016-2017 Leafs will break out like Florida did not too long ago. That's when we'll start forming some sort of core and start winning games and get to 10th OA.

In 2017-2018 Leafs early core players will get much better with Kadri entering the beginning of his prime years, Reilly shining as #1 or #2 D, and Gardiner a great #3D. The rest of the prospects making significant contributions, but Kadri, Reilly and Gardiner still carrying the team. Leafs probably end up 15th OA.

In 2018-2019, Leafs are showing signs they can compete, with players like 2015 4th OA, 2016 1st, Nylander, Leipsic, Brown, Percy tearing it up. New batch of prospects injected into the Leafs. Leafs probably get into playoffs or just miss it depending on what management wants.

In 2020, Leafs are a great team in the playoffs but get knocked out in the first round, gaining ~7 games of playoff experience.

In 2021, Leafs learn from their previous mistakes and start trading picks/prospects for rentals with new generation of prospects actively contributing and early core at their peak. Leafs get to 3rd round of playoffs.

In 2022, hopefully Leafs win the cup. Follow Detroit's model of drafting, developing and succeeding.

Not sure if this is satirical or not, but that is a ridiculously slow and pathetic development process. Blueprint for how to waste years of young prime NHL careers.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

I personally do not see why all of our prospects need to play with the Marlies until they are 23-24. For christs sake, you get maybe 6 years of solid play before they start to get old and decline. Bring the kids up when they are ready, be it at 18 years old, 19, 20, or whenever. Also if it takes us 6-7 more years to make any noise in the playoffs, then our rebuild would have been at a snails pace considering what we have to trade now, and whats already in the system. I would hope for a cup by 2020

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I do hope Johnson comes over and plays for the Marlies next season. I think it is important for him to adjust the smaller rinks and more north/south style. Especially since his strength is finding good positions around the net.

It would not be any harm if he stayed in the SHL for another season either but I would prefer if he joined the rest of the youngsters.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I do hope Johnson comes over and plays for the Marlies next season. I think it is important for him to adjust the smaller rinks and more north/south style. Especially since his strength is finding good positions around the net.

It would not be any harm if he stayed in the SHL for another season either but I would prefer if he joined the rest of the youngsters.

Agreed.

I also get excited thinking about him joining the swedish crew at ricoh with Loov, Granberg, Nilson and Nylander... Willy wont be there much longer i would love to see Johnson get a full season playing with William and them growing a bond. I feel like those swedish guys on the marlies have really formed a bit of a swedish clique, and Johnson would fit right in.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I personally do not see why all of our prospects need to play with the Marlies until they are 23-24. For christs sake, you get maybe 6 years of solid play before they start to get old and decline. Bring the kids up when they are ready, be it at 18 years old, 19, 20, or whenever. Also if it takes us 6-7 more years to make any noise in the playoffs, then our rebuild would have been at a snails pace considering what we have to trade now, and whats already in the system. I would hope for a cup by 2020

This junkie reasoning is why our system suks. Bring 'em up watch get put through the wringer and by the time they're 24 and should be just coming up we are trading them as burn-out busts - all because peeps "see no reason why all of our prospects need to play with the Marlies"

Thanks God Dubas is in charge of the development stream now and not Leaf fans. They all need to play ECL AHL then NHL unless they are a freak of nature like McDavid. I would put every other player in this draft down for 2-3 years and let them grow physically and learn the game.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Important to manage player development on all fronts. And that includes deciding where their 2 first round picks end up this year.

Hopefully Andreas Johnson gets a ton of ice-time and continues to produce.

I applaud your patient mature approach to viewing the development of our prospects. Our AHL teams should full of young talent. I hate the rush mentality around here.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
The 'Toronto is finding management' part is what concerns me there. It's fair fact. I'd like it if he had said that Toronto had been speaking with him and there is stability in the organization and he will make the right choices for his future etc etc.

Management stability. Very looking forward to it.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
The 'Toronto is finding management' part is what concerns me there. It's fair fact. I'd like it if he had said that Toronto had been speaking with him and there is stability in the organization and he will make the right choices for his future etc etc.

Management stability. Very looking forward to it.

It doesnt concern me.

We dont have management... We have 3 guys: Shanahan, Hunter and Dubas. All 3 of them are more concerned with the draft and getting new staff.

Once we get that done, and the draft ends, then we can look at prospects. With respect, Johnson is low on the pecking order to things to do because he is our property

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
This junkie reasoning is why our system suks. Bring 'em up watch get put through the wringer and by the time they're 24 and should be just coming up we are trading them as burn-out busts - all because peeps "see no reason why all of our prospects need to play with the Marlies"

Thanks God Dubas is in charge of the development stream now and not Leaf fans. They all need to play ECL AHL then NHL unless they are a freak of nature like McDavid. I would put every other player in this draft down for 2-3 years and let them grow physically and learn the game.

He has junkie reasoning? If anything you're the one with junkie reasoning.

First of all, our system doesn't suck. We are in the top half of the pack right now in the NHL in terms of prospects, and have 2 top 50 prospects, which is above average, and that's before the #4 overall pick we are about to add this year and another 22-24 overall pick.

Second, if a player hasn't proven anything by 24, he usually is a bust. Contrary to whatever age you believe is prime years, it's actually 24-29 that a player should be at his best. There is zero reason to keep high end prospects down 2-3 years to "grow physically and learn the game" when they show they are ready, especially a top 5 pick.

Just look at Calgary... they have turned into a contender by giving their prospects opportunities to make an impact. Monahan is 20, Gaudreau is 21, Poirier is 20, and Bennett is 18.

If a player is ready... play him, and do so in a position where he can succeed. That is the philosophy our franchise needs to learn.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
It doesnt concern me.

We dont have management... We have 3 guys: Shanahan, Hunter and Dubas. All 3 of them are more concerned with the draft and getting new staff.

Once we get that done, and the draft ends, then we can look at prospects. With respect, Johnson is low on the pecking order to things to do because he is our property

The Leafs still have Johnson's rights for another 2 years. There should be no rush to bring him over to North America. He can always come over before the start of this year or like they did with Nylander, get him signed to his entry level deal and then bring him over before the deadline.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
He has junkie reasoning? If anything you're the one with junkie reasoning.

First of all, our system doesn't suck. We are in the top half of the pack right now in the NHL in terms of prospects, and have 2 top 50 prospects, which is above average, and that's before the #4 overall pick we are about to add this year and another 22-24 overall pick.

Second, if a player hasn't proven anything by 24, he usually is a bust. Contrary to whatever age you believe is prime years, it's actually 24-29 that a player should be at his best. There is zero reason to keep high end prospects down 2-3 years to "grow physically and learn the game" when they show they are ready, especially a top 5 pick.

Just look at Calgary... they have turned into a contender by giving their prospects opportunities to make an impact. Monahan is 20, Gaudreau is 21, Poirier is 20, and Bennett is 18.

If a player is ready... play him, and do so in a position where he can succeed. That is the philosophy our franchise needs to learn.

If you think Calgary's approach to young players is the right one - good for you - that's not how I hope the Leafs run their development of young players - put 'em into the NHL as soon as their drafted or done college?

It has worked out really nicely this year with Hartley as coach and Johnny hockey being the revelation he is - pretty unusual situation there. Not in my books as sustainable development.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

The only thing worse than rushing them that I can think of, would be to completely ignore their development progress and arbitrarily decide where they play 2-3 years in advance. That's insane.

HockeyNightInBelfast

HockeyNightInBelfast
Mar 28, 2011
Belfast
www.facebook.com
Agreed.

I also get excited thinking about him joining the swedish crew at ricoh with Loov, Granberg, Nilson and Nylander... Willy wont be there much longer i would love to see Johnson get a full season playing with William and them growing a bond. I feel like those swedish guys on the marlies have really formed a bit of a swedish clique, and Johnson would fit right in.

I like this idea too.

...BUT...

If we look at what space might be available for Johnson to flourish on the Marlies next year & the fact that he does have another year to run on his contract w/ Frolunda, it seems unlikely.

Ross will be offski, McKegg is up for a new deal, there will be a potentially new & "improved" deal w/ Orlando to allow more players down there as per Dubas' comments at end of season but hard to see the Leafs bringing him in.

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario

Are you suggesting that Leafs fans were in charge before?

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Gauthier plays 1 bad game and some posters are back ragging on him.

:laugh: hilarious

Now it's two, Quebec 4 Rimouski 1, the Goat 0g 0a, -2, and again lost more fo's than he won. If nothing Freddie is being consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad