Prospects and Marlies Discussion - Gauthier to the Memorial Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
this kid Nylander is going to be a stud on the PP at the NHL level...

He literally looked like Karlsson playing the right point there. His puck control and passing is top notch and mentally his vision, poise and offensive positioning is all off the charts.

Its just gonna come down to work ethic and how well he can do in tight battles along the wall and how he handles physicality.
Which are huge attributes. I know he will put up the points in the AHL, there is no doubting his skill, but those aforementioned physical skills need to develop or he will never make it.

On a side note, interesting to see how smaller forwards are doing increasingly well in the AHL...I don't think it's ever been like this. Hudon, Brown, Leipsic, Grimaldi, Nylander, Pastrnak all tearing up the AHL as rookies, and undersized ones at that.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Frattin with 4 points lol. Too good for AHL, can't crack the NHL.

Nice pass from Leivo.

AHL star at this point. He's signed for another season though, and with the huge purge incoming, he might have one more chance at the NHL.

HOTD

Jan 11, 2013
Found this Nylander highlight video of some of his plays:

Effortless. The kid has so much talent. I like that he goes to the dirty areas.

Nice to see a Leafs have a legitimate talent that they are developing in the minors.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah, Frattin should get one last NHL shot in our organization next season.

We need to put him in a role to succeed though. Maybe he could the right winger for JVR, and Kadri?

JVR - Kadri - Frattin
Leivo - Holland...... etc

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, Frattin should get one last NHL shot in our organization next season.

We need to put him in a role to succeed though. Maybe he could the right winger for JVR, and Kadri?

JVR - Kadri - Frattin
Leivo - Holland...... etc
I see Brown having a higher chance of making it next season than Leivo. He's going to require at least another year in the AHL.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I see Brown having a higher chance of making it next season than Leivo. He's going to require at least another year in the AHL.

Depends how much we purge. If Lupul, Kessel and Bozak are all gone, we could see both, although, I would prefer keeping Brown down an additional year.

JVR - Kadri - Panik
XXXX - Holland - Frattin
Komarov - Carrick - Bailey
XXXX - Smith - XXXX

Rielly - Polak
Gardiner - Robidas
Percy - Granberg
MacWilliam

Bernier
Reimer

We'd need to fill the holes internally, or through free agency. Leivo, and Booth(re-sign) could take the 2LW spot. Then Rupert, Devane McKegg could fill the bottom line positions.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd like to see Nylander at centre all year in the AHL next year with Brown as his RW, they seem to have chemistry.

I think Carrick, Leivo, and Percy are the obvious AHL promotions.

Maybe Bailey-Nylander-Brown in the AHL next year?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I don't see the Leafs burning off two pro years for Nylander without using in the NHL next season. I bet he's in the opening night lineup in October.

The Marlies have a tough go to make the playoffs this season with 5 of 6 on the road to finish the season. It could be done since they have games in hand. Nevertheless it has been a successful season with a roster that has more young prospect content than any Toronto Marlies' roster in the past decade. This year's team is what a farm team is supposed to look like.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't see the Leafs burning off two pro years for Nylander without using in the NHL next season. I bet he's in the opening night lineup in October.

The Marlies have a tough go to make the playoffs this season with 5 of 6 on the road to finish the season. It could be done since they have games in hand. Nevertheless it has been a successful season with a roster that has more young prospect content than any Toronto Marlies' roster in the past decade. This year's team is what a farm team is supposed to look like.

I think that he can play in the AHL next year as well without burning an ELC year.

So if he were to make the team the year AFTER next, then he'd have 3 full ELC years to play with us :)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Huge win for the Marlies to keep their playoff hopes alive.

Leipsic really showed up for this one after being fairly quiet so far.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I think that he can play in the AHL next year as well without burning an ELC year.

So if he were to make the team the year AFTER next, then he'd have 3 full ELC years to play with us :)

His earliest age for becoming an UFA is 25 now that he is a pro at 18. Plus he'll lose his waiver exemption at a younger age as well.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
His earliest age for becoming an UFA is 25 now that he is a pro at 18. Plus he'll lose his waiver exemption at a younger age as well.

7 years in the NHL not as pro.

As for waiver exemption its 160 NHL GP or 5 years after signing 1st NHL contract

SarcazemKadri

Feb 15, 2012
Toronto
If Nylander can put a few lbs on this offseason, I see him making the leafs. He's adapted quickly in the AHL, and his defensive game and board work is underrated because of the smaller player stereotype. Nothing like kessel with regards to taking contact.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

As I understand it "pro" exerience only counts at this stage if he were to elect to become a group 6 free agent. (player elected, 25 years old, 3 years of pro, less than 80 games nhl). which if he fall under this rule he's either busted entirely or had the worst injury troubles imaginable.

For group 3 UFA only NHL matters, 27 years old or 7 years in the show, which ever comes first. AHL time doesn't speed up that clock.

Podium beat me to it.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
As I understand it "pro" exerience only counts at this stage if he were to elect to become a group 6 free agent. (player elected, 25 years old, 3 years of pro, less than 80 games nhl). which if he fall under this rule he's either busted entirely or had the worst injury troubles imaginable.

For group 3 UFA only NHL matters, 27 years old or 7 years in the show, which ever comes first. AHL time doesn't speed up that clock.

Podium beat me to it.

His 3 year ELC in fact does not burn at all while he's in the AHL until he's 20 years old. It is as if he is in junior hockey still. I know some people get confused about that, most people his age aren't even able to get into the AHL but he's a European pick so different rules.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
His 3 year ELC in fact does not burn at all while he's in the AHL until he's 20 years old. It is as if he is in junior hockey still. I know some people get confused about that, most people his age aren't even able to get into the AHL but he's a European pick so different rules.

And if he gets a game in the NHL next year?

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Effortless. The kid has so much talent. I like that he goes to the dirty areas.

Nice to see a Leafs have a legitimate talent that they are developing in the minors.

Ya he moves around the rink like it's nothing at all - even when he's on a break his upper body is so quiet - seamless skater and passer and finisher. He has adapted quickly. The brass have to be pleased.

It's a little thing but I am a big fan of peeps that score and just skate back to the bench or have an understated celebration. Celebrate when you win the big one - until then keep it quiet and keep working - Nylander does this really well.

mikebel111*

2 points out of a playoff spot now with 2 games in hand. Admirals play tonight as well so Marlies will have 3 games in hand than after

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Ross sent to the ECHL. Also, Valiev could join the Marlies since his season is over... they will make the decision today.

Kyle Cicerella ‏@KyleTheReporter
Dineen says club will make decision today if D prospect Rinat Valiev joins Marlies or not for end of season now that junior is over.

Kyle Cicerella ‏@KyleTheReporter
Marlies have sent forward Brad Ross to Orlando of ECHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad