Prospects and Marlies Discussion - Gauthier to the Memorial Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I don't think he was comparing to Bozak in that sense. More that he'd be the third best player on the line. Ie - if he plays for the Marlies next year between Brown and Nylander. I think his ceiling is going to be a player who allows offensive players to worry about scoring while he handles d. How many points that results for him, who knows.

Not to say Brown or Nylander are bad defensive players, but I think his role would be ideally suited playing with offensive guys that his skills can balance.
Correct. Unlike Bozak, Gauthier would be able to play that role more effectively. He's already quite strong without the puck.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Bergeron only scored 73 points in 70 games in junior. He seemed to turn out okay.

Bergeron didn't play a single game in junior after the age of 17. When Bergeron was 19 he was posting a higher PPG in the AHL than Gauthier did in junior (and only in the AHL rather than the NHL because of the lockout).

I know you knew these facts, because you looked up Bergeron's stats. But you left them out of your post. Is it too much to ask for an honest discussion?

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
This is horrible reasoning. People need to stop looking at Detroit and try to mimic there development. There drafting is what is to be admired if anything.

The vast majority of good players in the NHL either spend 0 time in the AHL or played less then haft a season of one. And most of them have made an impact with there team by age 21. So to say all our prospects need 2+ years in our development leagues after there 2 years of extra CHL hockey once drafted is asinine if we want to have good impactful players.

ECHL is a joke. If your draft year +2 (about 20 and can't make the jump to the nhl) when your eligible for AHL and your not good enough to make the squad, then your most likely not gonna end up being a good player. This isn't baseball, there's a lot of differences like contracts allowed, ELC status etc

You ruin development when players aren't pushed and they build bad lazy habits that they can get away with in the lower leagues but can't with the big one. The only thing worse then rushing a player, is over cooking them.

EDIT: Also if you wanna do this, your basically burning there ELC which is gonna hurt us with the cap eventually. The best teams get great production from there players on ELC so they dont to have to spend $ on free agents to fill those holes. Helps keep there best players under contract. Again, using the basball method of development in hockey is idiotic IMHO

EDIT: Also you said 24 should be the age they enter the NHL. Think logically. Nylander just finished his 18 year old season. According to your reasong, we should develop him for another 5-6 years before bringing him up to the nhl?

What about our #4 pick? Do you really see Hanafin spending another 2-3 years in college hockey or Marner spend his next 2 years playing against 16 year olds in the OHL? You get to a point when you outgrow your current league and there's nothing let to learn/prove.
This is pretty outdated thinking. The entire second line on Tampa spent good time in the AHL, doesn't seem to be a bad thing for them.

There are lots of other examples too. Development in the AHL isn't a bad thing by any means. Echl..I'll listen to an argument but the AHL has long been and will continue to be a strong development option for all but the best of the best prospects.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Bergeron didn't play a single game in junior after the age of 17. When Bergeron was 19 he was posting a higher PPG in the AHL than Gauthier did in junior (and only in the AHL rather than the NHL because of the lockout).

I know you knew these facts, because you looked up Bergeron's stats. But you left them out of your post. Is it too much to ask for an honest discussion?

Bergeron has had a good career and scored 73 points in 70 games in his draft year.
Gauthier scored 60 points in 62 games his draft year.

PPG rate is not that much different. 1.04 versus 0.97

We don't know what Bergeron would have done if he stayed in junior, so we can't compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->