Prospects and Marlies Discussion - Gauthier to the Memorial Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Well in his draft combine he rated top 3 for speed. He's been working with Barb Underhill ever since. His skating is now very good.

Here's what his coach said last week week:
"I should mention that he's one of the most important players in the Q and he plays in Rimouski, and we're thankful for this," said Rimouski head coach Serge Beausoleil, of Leafs prospect Frederik Gauthier in an interview following Tuesday's Game 3 victory against the Gatineau Olympiques.

As much as I defend gauthier (and I think he deserves defending), straight line speed isn't saying much for a prospect who is 6 foot 5. It's great but he's got much longer legs which can let him cover ice quite quickly.

Minor side point

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Have to say, Freddie the Goat looks really good this game. Had some really good offensive chances, backed with solid defensive play. Not ready to write off his offensive side yet, looks like he could actually improve quite a bit.

His offensive side at the pro level does remain a concern as he has 1 goal in 16 playoff games and scored just 16 goals in the regular season.

You would think with his size and strength simply standing in front of the net and banging in pucks in the blue ice on rebounds or getting hit by shots fired at the net that he would score more as a 20 year old junior player.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Bigblue;102336841[B said:
]Well in his draft combine he rated top 3 for speed[/B]. He's been working with Barb Underhill ever since. His skating is now very good.

Here's what his coach said last week week:
"I should mention that he's one of the most important players in the Q and he plays in Rimouski, and we're thankful for this," said Rimouski head coach Serge Beausoleil, of Leafs prospect Frederik Gauthier in an interview following Tuesday's Game 3 victory against the Gatineau Olympiques.

This is quite the fabrication as Gauthier was never ranked top 3 for speed. His skating was ranked 3/5.. That's 60%

How many 60% students do you know that are "top 3"? Not many..

There's a difference between being enamoured with a prospects and creating up false factual arguments. He's definitely improved, but let's not rank him as a the best skater of his draft class..

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
His offensive side at the pro level does remain a concern as he has 1 goal in 16 playoff games and scored just 16 goals in the regular season.

You would think with his size and strength simply standing in front of the net and banging in pucks in the blue ice on rebounds or getting hit by shots fired at the net that he would score more as a 20 year old junior player.

Most likely a 30 point player in the NHL.. I wouldn't be too concerned with his offense at this point in time. It's not his bread and butter for making the show

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
As much as I defend gauthier (and I think he deserves defending), straight line speed isn't saying much for a prospect who is 6 foot 5. It's great but he's got much longer legs which can let him cover ice quite quickly.

Minor side point

It's all about skating agility.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
This is quite the fabrication as Gauthier was never ranked top 3 for speed. His skating was ranked 3/5.. That's 60%

There's a difference between being enamoured with a prospects and creating up false factual arguments. He's definitely improved, but let's not rank him as a the best skater of his draft class..
It's not fabrication. There was a skills comp for prospects in his draft year and he was top 3 in the test for straight line speed.

He never said he was ranked as one of the three best skaters...

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Most likely a 30 point player in the NHL.. I wouldn't be too concerned with his offense at this point in time. It's not his bread and butter for making the show

I am more optimistic but his shot needs serious work. He does create a lot of rebounds though.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

That's what Craig Button gave him.

91Kadri91*

Uh, no, he ranked top-3 at the prospects game testing in agility and top-end speed.

91Kadri91*

Nimble Nicolas Petan of the Portland Winterhawks, topped the Transition Agility test, which assesses an athlete’s agility and directional transitions between forwards and backwards skating. His time was 13.832 seconds. Gauthier and Justin Bailey of the Kitchener Rangers were the only two other skaters to break beat 14 seconds on this challenging test.

Nathan MacKinnon used home ice to show the speed he’s been using to menace defenders this season with the Halifax Mooseheads. He covered 30 metres in just 3.918 seconds – and was even faster with the puck, at a blistering 3.893 seconds. Just 3 other skaters also clocked under four seconds: Nikita Zadorov of the London Knights, with Samuel Morin and Frederik Gauthier of the Rimouski Oceanic.

http://bmotopprospects.ca/article/top-prospects-push-limits-in-chl-hockey-combine

glasses91

Jul 10, 2012
Steelheads!?
Watching that game yesterday, Gauthier seemed to have a Sundin style of floating around the ice making defense look easy. I like him.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Lack of offense in my view comes from him playing a safe, systematic game overall and that he's absolutely no threat at all with his shot.

You reference Bergeron, and I remember reading the same thing about him. He had an offensive game that worked much better in a more structured league.

Gauthier really needs to work on his shot though.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Lack of offense in my view comes from him playing a safe, systematic game overall and that he's absolutely no threat at all with his shot.

You reference Bergeron, and I remember reading the same thing about him. He had an offensive game that worked much better in a more structured league.

His shot is terrible that's his big knock. That and the way he skates a bit but I think that's the result of growing to big to fast.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
That's nice.

His lack of offense comes from?

No hands
Thinking the game
Both
?

Has size, can skate and is agile, so something is lacking.

Bergeron only scored 73 points in 70 games in junior. He seemed to turn out okay.

simple, it's his role ...he's not used as a scorer, because he is so good defensively, and used primarily in that manner.

he may not have offense in him, but, he does what he does so well that it doesnt matter, he has a critical value to the team that is often lacking, and always desired.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
simple, it's his role ...he's not used as a scorer, because he is so good defensively, and used primarily in that manner.

he may not have offense in him, but, he does what he does so well that it doesnt matter, he has a critical value to the team that is often lacking, and always desired.

Well, McClement has made a career without any offense, and teams seem to value him.

Without offense, you will always have to work hard to keep your job, so that's a positive.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
This junkie reasoning is why our system suks. Bring 'em up watch get put through the wringer and by the time they're 24 and should be just coming up we are trading them as burn-out busts - all because peeps "see no reason why all of our prospects need to play with the Marlies"

Thanks God Dubas is in charge of the development stream now and not Leaf fans. They all need to play ECL AHL then NHL unless they are a freak of nature like McDavid. I would put every other player in this draft down for 2-3 years and let them grow physically and learn the game.

This is horrible reasoning. People need to stop looking at Detroit and try to mimic there development. There drafting is what is to be admired if anything.

The vast majority of good players in the NHL either spend 0 time in the AHL or played less then haft a season of one. And most of them have made an impact with there team by age 21. So to say all our prospects need 2+ years in our development leagues after there 2 years of extra CHL hockey once drafted is asinine if we want to have good impactful players.

ECHL is a joke. If your draft year +2 (about 20 and can't make the jump to the nhl) when your eligible for AHL and your not good enough to make the squad, then your most likely not gonna end up being a good player. This isn't baseball, there's a lot of differences like contracts allowed, ELC status etc

You ruin development when players aren't pushed and they build bad lazy habits that they can get away with in the lower leagues but can't with the big one. The only thing worse then rushing a player, is over cooking them.

EDIT: Also if you wanna do this, your basically burning there ELC which is gonna hurt us with the cap eventually. The best teams get great production from there players on ELC so they dont to have to spend $ on free agents to fill those holes. Helps keep there best players under contract. Again, using the basball method of development in hockey is idiotic IMHO

EDIT: Also you said 24 should be the age they enter the NHL. Think logically. Nylander just finished his 18 year old season. According to your reasong, we should develop him for another 5-6 years before bringing him up to the nhl?

What about our #4 pick? Do you really see Hanafin spending another 2-3 years in college hockey or Marner spend his next 2 years playing against 16 year olds in the OHL? You get to a point when you outgrow your current league and there's nothing let to learn/prove.

Last edited:

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph

Did you watch him at the WJC? The guy's hands are like cinder blocks. He's gonna have to make a living being 60%+ on FOs, a defensive beast, and possibly standing in front of the net on the PP.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Simply not good enough

Straight speed means very little in the NHL, for instance Morin who was one of the fastest skaters struggled in the WJHC he had several give always because of his lack of foot speed and mobility. We've seen many guys who can fly put can't translate scoring abilities with the puck. Tyler Biggs can skate straight line but he can't do any thing with the puck.

Sorry but the Goat gets a failing grade, his team won he was a minus 1, he did win more face-offs than he lost but not by much after loosing many in the first two games, he'll have to improve that also as around 50 percent in Junior won't translate to many winning faceoff battles in the pro's.

Example Kessel great skater, Cory Perry average, who's going to score you the over time goal to finish off a Stanley Cup playoff series. It's how you get it done not how pretty it was.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Straight speed means very little in the NHL, for instance Morin who was one of the fastest skaters struggled in the WJHC he had several give always because of his lack of foot speed and mobility. We've seen many guys who can fly put can't translate scoring abilities with the puck. Tyler Biggs can skate straight line but he can't do any thing with the puck.

Sorry but the Goat gets a failing grade, his team won he was a minus 1, he did win more face-offs than he lost but not by much after loosing many in the first two games, he'll have to improve that also as around 50 percent in Junior won't translate to many winning faceoff battles in the pro's.

Example Kessel great skater, Cory Perry average, who's going to score you the over time goal to finish off a Stanley Cup playoff series. It's how you get it done not how pretty it was.

A negative review, really? What a surprise.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia

Gauthier tends to over think but when it comes to finding open men, he's quite solid. You'd think with his hockey sense, board work and puck protection ability that he could be part of a strong forecheck and retrieve pucks in the offensive zone. I'd be satisfied if he could play a Bozak-like role between two strong scorers.

Speaking of his shot, it's heavy, fairly accurate and the release is quick. The problem is he doesn't have a goal scorer's mentality. Seeing that his playing style isn't that assertive, I can't see him being much of a goal scorer. We're better off hoping that he becomes a two-way distributor instead.

onlygotmygrade10

Mar 1, 2014
Toronto

Conveniently ignoring the agility drill, but whatever. Not really sure what you're looking for from him here. He is in the QMJHL finals, and will be going to the memorial cup. I suppose he should be getting the overtime winner every game, win all his faceoffs and be in on every goal for his team. He is a prominent player for a team in the finals of their league, how is he not getting it done?

91Kadri91*

Gauthier tends to over think but when it comes to finding open men, he's quite solid. You'd think with his hockey sense, board work and puck protection ability that he could be part of a strong forecheck and retrieve pucks in the offensive zone. I'd be satisfied if he could play a Bozak-like role between two strong scorers.

Speaking of his shot, it's heavy, fairly accurate and the release is quick. The problem is he doesn't have a goal scorer's mentality. Seeing that his playing style isn't that assertive, I can't see him being much of a goal scorer. We're better off hoping that he becomes a two-way distributor instead.

Ride off of coattails offensively, and still manage to be putrid defensively? Yeah, that sounds like a guy every team wants. Not that Gauthier is Bozak; by all indications Gauthier is very good defensively.

onlygotmygrade10

Mar 1, 2014
Toronto
Ride off of coattails offensively, and still manage to be putrid defensively? Yeah, that sounds like a guy every team wants. Not that Gauthier is Bozak; by all indications Gauthier is very good defensively.

I don't think he was comparing to Bozak in that sense. More that he'd be the third best player on the line. Ie - if he plays for the Marlies next year between Brown and Nylander. I think his ceiling is going to be a player who allows offensive players to worry about scoring while he handles d. How many points that results for him, who knows.

Not to say Brown or Nylander are bad defensive players, but I think his role would be ideally suited playing with offensive guys that his skills can balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->