Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
How did Kara look last night against the WHL? I know Russia got pounded 7-0 but was just wondering how he looked against similar skill and age group of players. He did finish a -2 and had a shot on net.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
How did Kara look last night against the WHL? I know Russia got pounded 7-0 but was just wondering how he looked against similar skill and age group of players. He did finish a -2 and had a shot on net.

do we have anyone else on the Russian team? Bobylov or Chebykin maybe or are they too old. Are we going to have anyone on the OHL team? I think I saw middelton was named

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
do we have anyone else on the Russian team? Bobylov or Chebykin maybe or are they too old. Are we going to have anyone on the OHL team? I think I saw middelton was named

Kara is the only one there. The others are too old.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Has it been decided whether or not we get to keep Dzierkals until he's 27, given he came out of a Russian League (MHL)?

For example, Chebykin came out of that league and we get to keep him until he's 27.

Why not loan Dzierkals to Riga over in the KHL for a few years? He'd probably get decent minutes, and really any minutes are better than the squat he's getting right now. Marlies have far too much depth everywhere (ECHL included) to give him a shot. Just look at Bracco only getting into 4 games. At the very least we get another 2 years on Dzeirkals so even letting him groom over there until he's 22 is better than this. He'll probably be close to NHL ready by that time.

The time away from the game seemed to serve Marchment pretty well. It's not the conventional road to developing prospects, but maybe this new strategy (working on deficiencies away from game play) is the way players with some holes in their game will be developed going forward.

Until it blows up in their faces, I'm fine with trusting the process.

Also, is it not extremely hard for ~20 year olds to get ice-time in the KHL? Who says ~8 min a game over there is better than one on one coaching/development from the richest organization in the league over here?

Does Riga care more about him becoming an NHLer than the Leafs do?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The time away from the game seemed to serve Marchment pretty well. It's not the conventional road to developing prospects, but maybe this new strategy (working on deficiencies away from game play) is the way players with some holes in their game will be developed going forward.

Until it blows up in their faces, I'm fine with trusting the process.

Also, is it not extremely hard for ~20 year olds to get ice-time in the KHL? Who says ~8 min a game over there is better than one on one coaching/development from the richest organization in the league over here?

Does Riga care more about him becoming an NHLer than the Leafs do?

Marchment still played a decent amount though. He was in the AHL rotation when he was up and played regularly in the ECHL when he was down (last year). Right now Dzierkals is getting squat. At best you could argue that doing something like what Bracco is going through is fine, but Bracco is still playing sometimes. Maybe not playing regularly is fine, but not playing at all is not going to get them to the NHL. You need to be able to apply what you learn from practice in a real situation...

Riga is not an amazing team. They could use talented scorers, and Dzierkals is one of the most talented young Latvians in the world. He'd probably get more than 8 minutes a night provided he is good enough to handle it. It's not going to be like Korshkov (especially since the coach was fired and then when he got more, he did a lot better). If you really want to keep him at home, then send him to the Solar Bears then. He would get a decent amount of ice time there. He's probably better than a good handful of their scorers. And he's still relatively close to home.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Marchment still played a decent amount though. He was in the AHL rotation when he was up and played regularly in the ECHL when he was down (last year). Right now Dzierkals is getting squat. At best you could argue that doing something like what Bracco is going through is fine, but Bracco is still playing sometimes. Maybe not playing regularly is fine, but not playing at all is not going to get them to the NHL. You need to be able to apply what you learn from practice in a real situation...

Riga is not an amazing team. They could use talented scorers, and Dzierkals is one of the most talented young Latvians in the world. He'd probably get more than 8 minutes a night provided he is good enough to handle it. It's not going to be like Korshkov (especially since the coach was fired and then when he got more, he did a lot better). If you really want to keep him at home, then send him to the Solar Bears then. He would get a decent amount of ice time there. He's probably better than a good handful of their scorers. And he's still relatively close to home.

Per the articles I've been reading, Marchment ended up playing a decent amount of games, but he didn't play any at the start of the year.

If they've identified some problem areas in Dzierkals game, or like Marchment wanted him to put on some more bulk on top of working on some problem areas, then it's not going to happen overnight.

Seeing as you don't really know the full situation, to outright say it's hurting his development, doesn't really hold much water.

Yes, typically (the vast majority of the time) you have to play to get better, but without knowing exactly what they are working on with him, then you are just guessing at his development being stalled.

Also, how would our development team, strength coaches, nutritionists, etc. help Dzierkals with some possible issues if he's playing in Orlando?

We have no idea how Dzierkals would do playing professional hockey, seeing how our coaches/development team doesn't think he should be put in the lineup in the AHL doesn't make me extremely confident he'd be a top 6 scorer in the KHL, and I wouldn't assume he'd be instantly successful over there.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
against a good team or a lesser team? French and german teams compete in the CHL right?
Liberec who are playing in the Czech league Extraliga, 11th place in a 14 team league. I don't really know about the quality of Extraliga.

Frolunda also lost, not sure if that means they are eliminated from this tournament or not.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
He's a good goalie who has looked pretty composed.

Could be a hot stretch, but he's been good. The team in front of him still is not great.

He's reaching his potential if he keeps that up, because composure was his big problem.

The games I have seen Scott play, he looked like he kept guessing on shots and was late to react. That's a confidence issue. Hopefully he gets past that because he has a really good skill set.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
The games I have seen Scott play, he looked like he kept guessing on shots and was late to react. That's a confidence issue. Hopefully he gets past that because he has a really good skill set.

I've only seen a few full games and the rest were highlights. Bulk of his work may still show that. I don't expect him to suddenly get over his biggest issue in one year, but I definitely feel it was better than last year. Last year he was guessing on pretty much everything, because unless he did, he wasn't going to make a save. He was pretty damn good at it, but it's never going to end well. What can you do when Prince Albert gave up high quality shots like crazy. Prince Albert is better this year, but they still suck.

I want to see what he can do on the Marlies. As long as he's progressing positively, which so far I would say he has, that's all I would ask for. If he can somehow do well enough next year to be in WJC consideration, that would be icing, but most likely he's going to need to go to a better team for that to happen. Rare to see goalies on crap teams get there unless they are superstars.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Eric Fehr was loaned from the Marlies to the San Diego Gulls. Good to see, because he deserves to play regularly. Maybe a team likes him enough to trade for him if he does well. He should be in the NHL somewhere, and given Anaheim's lack of depth, maybe they'd be willing to take the salary off our hands if we want them to.

At this point I would almost do like Fehr and a contract dump for some AHL vet on an NHL deal and loan it back to them (i.e. Torres or Frattin). Getting the salary and a contract off is worth Fehr IMO. If we got like a pick out of it as well, that's just a bonus.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Eric Fehr was loaned from the Marlies to the San Diego Gulls. Good to see, because he deserves to play regularly. Maybe a team likes him enough to trade for him if he does well. He should be in the NHL somewhere, and given Anaheim's lack of depth, maybe they'd be willing to take the salary off our hands if we want them to.

At this point I would almost do like Fehr and a contract dump for some AHL vet on an NHL deal and loan it back to them (i.e. Torres or Frattin). Getting the salary and a contract off is worth Fehr IMO. If we got like a pick out of it as well, that's just a bonus.
Hopefully they like him enough to toss us a late pick for him. They've been depleted with injuries. I'd take a 5th.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014

Seems like open dissent by Fehr got him a one-way ticket to Palookasville! They seemed to sour on him pretty quickly after he was bellya-aching about not knowing when/who was going to play each game between him and Moore.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Marlies score first

Timashov with a tip in off a Marincin shot and Aaltonen with the second assist

Timashov is starting to really heat up

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Are you watching the game? Because the sog don't paint a pretty picture.
And it's 3-2 bad guys now

Na Salt I was watching the Leafs and Box score watching the Marlies

Sparks earned his money tonight by the looks of things and gave the boys a chance but when you've been on the road for a week and a half the boys might be getting a bit gassed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad