Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyAndrock

Oct 26, 2013
AHL Toronto Marlies Team List

Our AHL Team Lists continue!

2017-18 North Division free agent outlook. Who's signed/who isn't in the North? http://highlandparkhockey.blogspot.com/2017/06/2017-18-ahl-team-lists-north-division.html

Toronto Marlies (Toronto Maple Leafs)

Under Contract

Forwards: Miro Aaltonen, Jeremy Bracco, Frederik Gauthier, Andreas Johnsson, Tobias Lindberg, Trevor Moore, J.J. Piccinich (AHL - 2 years), Kery Rychel and Dmytro Timashov

Defensemen: Andres Borgman, Travis Dermott, Andrew Neilsen, Calle Rosen and Rinat Valiev

Goaltenders: Kasimir Kaskisuo

Impending Free Agents

NHL RFA: goaltender Antoine Bibeau and Garret Sparks, defensemen Justin Holl and forwards Seth Griffith, Sergei Kalinin and Brendan Leipsic

NHL UFA: defensemen Andrew Campbell and Steve Oleksey and forwards Colin Greening, Brooks Laich and Milan Michalek

AHL UFA: defensemen Nikolas Brouillard, Willie Corrin, Jon Jutzi, Daniel Maggio, Brenden Miller, Ty Stanton and William Wrenn and forwards Tony Cameranesi, Marc-Andre Cliche, Richard Clune, Shane Conacher, Eric Faille (signed with HC Banska Bystrica in Slovakia), Brett Findlay, T.J. Foster, Mason Marchment and Chase Witala

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Solid young base for the team, fill in the rest with vets. Oh and Adam Brooks is likely to be one of the centreman.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Our AHL Team Lists continue!

2017-18 North Division free agent outlook. Who's signed/who isn't in the North? http://highlandparkhockey.blogspot.com/2017/06/2017-18-ahl-team-lists-north-division.html

Toronto Marlies (Toronto Maple Leafs)

Under Contract

Forwards: Miro Aaltonen, Jeremy Bracco, Frederik Gauthier, Andreas Johnsson, Tobias Lindberg, Trevor Moore, J.J. Piccinich (AHL - 2 years), Kery Rychel and Dmytro Timashov

Defensemen: Andres Borgman, Travis Dermott, Andrew Neilsen, Calle Rosen and Rinat Valiev

Goaltenders: Kasimir Kaskisuo

Impending Free Agents

NHL RFA: goaltender Antoine Bibeau (AHL deal) and Garret Sparks, defensemen Justin Holl and forwards Seth Griffith, Sergei Kalinin and Brendan Leipsic

NHL UFA: defensemen Andrew Campbell and Steve Oleksey and forwards Colin Greening, Brooks Laich and Milan Michalek

AHL UFA: defensemen Nikolas Brouillard, Willie Corrin, Jon Jutzi, Daniel Maggio, Brenden Miller, Ty Stanton and William Wrenn and forwards Tony Cameranesi, Marc-Andre Cliche, Richard Clune, Shane Conacher, Eric Faille (signed with HC Banska Bystrica in Slovakia), Brett Findlay, T.J. Foster, Mason Marchment and Chase Witala

I see the bolded brought back into the organization.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I see a big opportunity for Aaltonen and/or Johnsson.

• I believe Rychel is going to waived.
  • Leivo couldn't win a spot last season with less competition, will ask for a trade.
  • Sosh gets hurt too often.
  • Kapanen I don't think is ready to play full-time on one of the 3 big lines.

Im just babbling to pass the time, also :)

I'd say Aaltonen and Johnsson are definitely next in line after those few, who all might not even be here to start the year.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I see a big opportunity for Aaltonen and/or Johnsson.

• I believe Rychel is going to waived.
  • Leivo couldn't win a spot last season with less competition, will ask for a trade.
  • Sosh gets hurt too often.
  • Kapanen I don't think is ready to play full-time on one of the 3 big lines.

Im just babbling to pass the time, also :)

last part noted. But why would Aaltonen be more ready than kapanen to play on the "big 3 lines"? he has spent his career in Finland and played 1 year in the KHL he has never played on NHL ice, Kapanen was just on the 4th line in the playoffs and even killed penalties. Kapanen is bigger (6'1" to 5'11") and can play any role asked of him.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
last part noted. But why would Aaltonen be more ready than Kapanen to play on the "big 3 lines"? he has spent his career in Finland and played 1 year in the KHL he has never played on NHL ice, Kapanen was just on the 4th line in the playoffs and even killed penalties. Kapanen is bigger (6'1" to 5'11") and can play any role asked of him.

When I see Kappy playing on the Leafs, I see a guy trying to figure out what type of player he should become or evolve into.

• offensive player?
  • two-way player?
  • defensive player?
  • grinder?

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Another way of look at who has a chance to slot into the forwards line up is by looking at special teams. The bolded are projected to be or have been mainstays on the Leafs' special teams.

The 5v5 line up is going to include Martin who doesn't play either PK or PP. This, in turn, forces many of the Marlies on the cusp of making the lineup on the outside looking in. This is a general idea I've put forth as these lines can (and will) change day-to-day.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
JVR - Bozak - Marner
Komarov/Martin - Moore - Kapanen

PP (need 8): Matthews, Nylander, Marleau, Kadri/ JVR, Bozak, Marner, (Brown, Komarov, or Kapanen?)

PK (need 4): Hyman, Komarov, Moore, (Brown or Kapanen?)

Because of this, there's no room for guys like Leivo or Soshnikov to make the team unless one or two guys on the PP get hurt (knock on wood). Neither of them plays PK and according to interviews last year, that was one of the biggest reasons why he wasn't able to play Leivo.

Unless Komarov or JVR are traded, it's gonna be a tough task to make the team.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
When I see Kappy playing on the Leafs, I see a guy trying to figure out what type of player he should become or evolve into.

• offensive player?
  • two-way player?
  • defensive player?
  • grinder?

When thrown into the 4th line, he would more or less be given an assignment to be a grinder. Don't think they wanted to see much offensive flare from him on the 4th line in the playoffs.

Don't think we can really judge his offence in the NHL until we see him in a top 9 role.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
When thrown into the 4th line, he would more or less be given an assignment to be a grinder. Don't think they wanted to see much offensive flare from him on the 4th line in the playoffs.

Don't think we can really judge his offence in the NHL until we see him in a top 9 role.

Even if used exclusively in a 4th line role next year a line of Kapanen, Martin and Moore will be great on the forecheck with their speed and cause a lot of turnovers.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

• offensive player?
  • two-way player?
  • defensive player?
  • grinder?

I don't, I see a guy who was told if you want to play right now I need you to be a energy 4th liner. He did it and came out with flying colors, something he has been criticized in scouting reports for from his draft year. Put him in an offensive role and he will adjust. Kapanen is a far better player than you are willing to credit him for

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I love Leivos game especially on the Marlies, he is going to be a 20-25 goal scorer on another team.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Even if used exclusively in a 4th line role next year a line of Kapanen, Martin and Moore will be great on the forecheck with their speed and cause a lot of turnovers.

I agree. Adding Moore instead of Boyle would likely benefit Kappy, if that's where he lands next season.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
It's disappointing to me that we didn't add in a huge area of need. I'm willing to give the benefit of doubt to Marleau, but I wasn't a fan of the deal at all.

It's even more disappointing that Leivo won't be given a shot in the top 9. I watched every game he was in last season. He looked great, especially on the boards and couldn't be knocked off the puck. He may not have great speed but his skating was no where near as bad as advertised. It's always nice to have different dynamics to our team and we could use a heavy, possession player like himself that can wear down teams over the course of a game.

The only negative about his game is that he can't play on the PK. But I'm not sure he is meant to be a utility player regardless.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
It's disappointing to me that we didn't add in a huge area of need. I'm willing to give the benefit of doubt to Marleau, but I wasn't a fan of the deal at all.

It's even more disappointing that Leivo won't be given a shot in the top 9. I watched every game he was in last season. He looked great, especially on the boards and couldn't be knocked off the puck. He may not have great speed but his skating was no where near as bad as advertised. It's always nice to have different dynamics to our team and we could use a heavy, possession player like himself that can wear down teams over the course of a game.

The only negative about his game is that he can't play on the PK. But I'm not sure he is meant to be a utility player regardless.

It's possible JVR and/or Leo get traded and Leivo gets a chance.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
I'll be upset if Leivo doesn't get a fair crack this year.
Last year is last year. Injuries can't be helped. That's understood...
But the guy might actually be a perennial 50-60 point player with board play.
Kinda... valuable... and stuff...
Enough to find out what he is before letting him go free to someone else...

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I love Leivos game especially on the Marlies, he is going to be a 20-25 goal scorer on another team.

I maybe the odd one out here but I think Leivo has a better offensive upside then Kapanen. Kapanen has speed but doesn't think the game.

Leivo relies heavily on his strength, shot and he's a smart player. He's not fast but he compensates with his awareness. He can easily take JVR's spot on the PP. The frame and strength is there

He just needs good looks.

I would not count Leivo out of the line up yet.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I maybe the odd one out here but I think Leivo has a better offensive upside then Kapanen. Kapanen has speed but doesn't think the game.

Leivo relies heavily on his strength, shot and he's a smart player. He's not fast but he compensates with his awareness. He can easily take JVR's spot on the PP. The frame and strength is there

He just needs good looks.

I would not count Leivo out of the line up yet.

Leivo is not slow either. He's probably considered average on our team, and our team is pretty fast as a whole. His issue is that sometimes he coasts. Like he does not take a lot of strides to get moving and sometimes that makes him look slow. But when he needed to move, like going in for a fore check or skating around someone, he can move.

That was me watching videos from over two years ago too. He's improved a lot since then.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Leivo is not slow either. He's probably considered average on our team, and our team is pretty fast as a whole. His issue is that sometimes he coasts. Like he does not take a lot of strides to get moving and sometimes that makes him look slow. But when he needed to move, like going in for a fore check or skating around someone, he can move.

That was me watching videos from over two years ago too. He's improved a lot since then.

I have become a big fan of this kid. He's actually what the Leafs need right now, size and strength along the boards.

He has become an after thought with our new shinny toys. He actually reminds me of Joffery Lupul. Man he was good for a while.

He's also the only player from 2011 draft that may actually play in NHL. F you Burke you and your truculence.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

• offensive player?
  • two-way player?
  • defensive player?
  • grinder?

Perhaps, but maybe he's showing the coach he can play any of those roles as needed.

Maybe he'll be the Leafs Niederreiter, but Babcock will get him there unlike the Islanders who couldn't get Niederreiter to that spot.

Seems to have had some big moments in his career already, or maybe a Justin Williams a big moment player?

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I have become a big fan of this kid. He's actually what the Leafs need right now, size and strength along the boards.

He has become an after thought with our new shinny toys. He actually reminds me of Joffery Lupul. Man he was good for a while.

He's also the only player from 2011 draft that may actually play in NHL. F you Burke you and your truculence.

I'd be willing to give him JVRs spot... we've got suitable 'backups' in Marleau, Kapanen, Rychel, Aaltonen, Johnsson if Leivo doesn't work out...

I just hope he's still working on his skating... its not horrible, but if he can gain that extra half-step... look out!

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Sparks has a great shot too. Like Percy, his career has more to do with whether he holds it up on the injury side of things more than his skill. Percy was good enough for the NHL before a serious leg injury killed his skating ability, which was only slight above average at best as it was. Sparks has had some groin injuries or something.

Rest of the draft kind of flopped though. Nilsson could be a 6/7 defenseman in the NHL right now probably, and Cameranesi still looks like a dark horse. He is a lot better than he may look on paper, but the rest are career AHLers or worse.

But if Leivo is able to be a JvR type replacement and we can make Sparks a Reimer type backup, which is what he's capable of doing, then it is a salvageable draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->