Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
has caser or anyone noted where Kara is playing? he has 8 points in 12 games in the VHL, is he playing C there? (he also has 5 games in KHL 0 points though). A 6'2" C would be nice in our team, but we don't even really have many 6'2" forwards at all either, LH C could probably play LW too

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
has caser or anyone noted where Kara is playing? he has 8 points in 12 games in the VHL, is he playing C there? (he also has 5 games in KHL 0 points though). A 6'2" C would be nice in our team, but we don't even really have many 6'2" forwards at all either, LH C could probably play LW too

I'm pretty sure he's a winger Walshy, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get some more center prospects into the organization

It's not that hard turning a center into a winger, it's a real pain trying to turn a winger into a center though

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I'm pretty sure he's a winger Walshy, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get some more center prospects into the organization

It's not that hard turning a center into a winger, it's a real pain trying to turn a winger into a center though

sure, id be ok with no wingers taken next draft Dmen who are monsters (naturally) and C's of any size (preferably some size though) and maybe 1 G.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
sure, id be ok with no wingers taken next draft Dmen who are monsters (naturally) and C's of any size (preferably some size though) and maybe 1 G.

Yeah I could live with that, building the team down the middle and getting plenty of good defensive prospects seems like an intelligent idea

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yeah I could live with that, building the team down the middle and getting plenty of good defensive prospects seems like an intelligent idea

I should say outside the 1st round, don't try and outthink your 1st rounder if he is a winger take him. But I think being pick ~20 there is plenty of room to say "ok we have 3 guys here 1C and 2W then you can pro and con all 3 and find a way to still walk away with the C

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I should say outside the 1st round, don't try and outthink your 1st rounder if he is a winger take him. But I think being pick ~20 there is plenty of room to say "ok we have 3 guys here 1C and 2W then you can pro and con all 3 and find a way to still walk away with the C

I'd lean heavily towards defense or center in the first round as well, especially defense

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I have no idea why we refuse to draft or trade for wingers. If we didn’t win matty then good lord. Where would we be? I personally have found hunters picks outside of first round somewhat suspect. But will have to defer to his expertise of course.

Lilly, Mitch and Matt’s have been great.

I like dermott too. Rest haven’t seemed to jump out

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Though, one could say thats similar to what Nonis did at the 2013 draft. Pre-draft he spoke about how the only way to get s top centre is via the draft (something that's absolutely true) and the Leafs took the best centre available st the draft (Gauthier) and they ended up with a skating pylon.

I do think it's fine to approach a draft with the broad pln of improving defensive or centre prospects, but there has to be limits to that as well.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I haven't been able to see a Marlies game yet this year. If anyone (Saltming perhaps?) has seen some games can you give me a synopsis of Marchment's play. I know he has decent size but is he a decent skater?. Does he work the boards well?..Decent shot?...Physical presence, especially net front?...Reasonable puck skills?...Think the game okay?... I'd appreciate if someone can give his/her opinion on whether or not he's a prospect or just a "roster filler?"

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I find it a little bit annoying that the signing of Polak may end up meaning we lose a player like Marchment.
I think there's got to be a handshake agreement in place in order for them to have invested as much as they have, and it's better for us if he signed this summer instead of now.

I don't think that will happen, even if
Apparently he has not played C since becoming a full-time MHL player, is a W at this point. Which is fine, we have no W's in his age group.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think there's got to be a handshake agreement in place in order for them to have invested as much as they have, and it's better for us if he signed this summer instead of now.

I don't think that will happen, even if

Apparently he has not played C since becoming a full-time MHL player, is a W at this point. Which is fine, we have no W's in his age group.

yeah no issue with that, he is a long term project and we currently don't have many wingers above 6' anyway

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I have no idea why we refuse to draft or trade for wingers. If we didn’t win matty then good lord. Where would we be? I personally have found hunters picks outside of first round somewhat suspect. But will have to defer to his expertise of course.

Lilly, Mitch and Matt’s have been great.

I like dermott too. Rest haven’t seemed to jump out

I feel like all we do is draft wingers. We don't draft centres. Only 3/27 picks from Hunter were centres and one was a slam dunk, vs. 11 wingers.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I feel like all we do is draft wingers. We don't draft centres. Only 3/27 picks from Hunter were centres and one was a slam dunk, vs. 11 wingers.

Haha no sorry, I mean center. I know all we do is get wingers and giant D

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Has it been decided whether or not we get to keep Dzierkals until he's 27, given he came out of a Russian League (MHL)?

For example, Chebykin came out of that league and we get to keep him until he's 27.

Why not loan Dzierkals to Riga over in the KHL for a few years? He'd probably get decent minutes, and really any minutes are better than the squat he's getting right now. Marlies have far too much depth everywhere (ECHL included) to give him a shot. Just look at Bracco only getting into 4 games. At the very least we get another 2 years on Dzeirkals so even letting him groom over there until he's 22 is better than this. He'll probably be close to NHL ready by that time.

Reactions: LeafChief

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Haha no sorry, I mean center. I know all we do is get wingers and giant D

I think outside of the first and second round, we just took that next best available player. I like the Ryan McGregor pick this summer, he's a centre. I also thought that the Leafs would've drafting Poehling if Liljegren didn't fall to us. Saying all that, I still think we could use more centers among our prospects.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
What's going on with Ian Scott?

His numbers look surprisingly good even though he's only played 6 games

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
That doesn't normally make players better though

He's a good goalie who has looked pretty composed.

Could be a hot stretch, but he's been good. The team in front of him still is not great.

He's reaching his potential if he keeps that up, because composure was his big problem.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Does anyone here follow the OHL?

Rasanen has 14 points in 17 games. That is really impressive for an 18 year old defenseman. Wonder if he's playing well or if he's just on a team with good talent?

Dude is a 6'7 monster.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
That doesn't normally make players better though

I misunderstood your post, my bad...

When you said he's playing great "but has only played 6 games", I thought you were implying he deserved more playing time.

His season isn't surprising me TBH... there is a reason Mark Hunter selected him :nod:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Does anyone here follow the OHL?

Rasanen has 14 points in 17 games. That is really impressive for an 18 year old defenseman. Wonder if he's playing well or if he's just on a team with good talent?

Dude is a 6'7 monster.

He's playing well. #1 defenseman for Kingston and a lot of praises from his coach and manager.

Basically showing a lot of similar traits to Franson -- big point shot, good skill, good reach but skating obviously a bit of a question mark and he gets caught flat footed a lot. He also plays a pretty mean game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad