Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
So no Liljegren today, so he must've gotten injured last game, and we haven't heard a word about it...brutal.

They sat him out of the last back to back(and the 3rd part of the 3 games in a row), so I wouldn't assume the worst just yet. Back to back with travel it's possible they were planning to sit him anyway, and it's possible he was a little banged up and they decided to be precautionary. Of course it's also possible he just suffered a career ending injury, but I wouldn't assume the worst until we actually hear news.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
They sat him out of the last back to back(and the 3rd part of the 3 games in a row), so I wouldn't assume the worst just yet. Back to back with travel it's possible they were planning to sit him anyway, and it's possible he was a little banged up and they decided to be precautionary. Of course it's also possible he just suffered a career ending injury, but I wouldn't assume the worst until we actually hear news.

As Kiwi mentioned. Keefe said in his post game today that Lilly got hurt yesterday, but they dont expect it to be serious. They wanted to give him a day. They are off tomorrow,. They will see if he is good for Tuesday's practice.

It looks like percaution.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
get him to spend 24/7 with nielsen then, teach him how to magically fix skating

Neilsen might not work out but he is the type of player you can stay patient with. His tools are really good. Size, offense, amazing shot. If he works out, we could have a very good player.
I am willing to give him time because of the potential he has, if he can iron out a few things.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Marchment is interesting, I must admit. His skating has gotten better as you guys have said but I didnt realise how big he was. Its crazy that he didnt start playing tier II until he was 18. Tier II. A few years later hes in the pros.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Did you watch the Marlies last year? Only guys who could do things well consistently were the guys too good for the AHL. If they got shut down, the Marlies struggled to win games, even though there were a ton of talented guys beyond them. Time and time again there were guys messing things up or not being where they were supposed to be. A huge development curve. You could say it was youth inconsistency, but his entire job (before winning) is making sure that those guys are picking the system up.

It was very similar to how the Leafs are so far this year.

Give me a break. The depth of the roster wasnt that good to begin with. Unless you think having a winger put as 1st line C means we had good talent?
They were picking the system up. Keefe did a good job there. Its not his fault the team just wasnt good enough.
I love that now the team is better defensively, the credit is going to the D corps. When they werent good, it was all oh Keefe cant teach them defence, or he cant organize them.
The D corps is basically the same in terms of ability.
Dermott(a stud. Keefe probably gets no credit here because he apparently doesnt get the most out of his players)
Holl(struggled in the 1st half last season, but than was great. Keefe should deserve credit here, but wont because he cant get lower lineup to perform.
Neilsen(project but is improving
Loverde(a very good AHL d man.
Lilly(nice transition. Looks good. Keefe probably deserves no credit here either.
Valiev(a lower lineup guy who is playing well, but I guess he doesnt count because Keefe cant get lower lineup guys to play well)

They were a very young defence last season so its not surprising they struggled at times. It wasnt because Keefe couldnt get them to play a system. The forwards werent good enough last season to overcome a young defence until we got some great talent later on.
Keefe did a good job last season and got the team playing a system. They just made rookie mistakes which was expected. They got better later on, and made a nice run to get into the 2nd round.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Marchment is interesting, I must admit. His skating has gotten better as you guys have said but I didnt realise how big he was. Its crazy that he didnt start playing tier II until he was 18. Tier II. A few years later hes in the pros.
Seems like his schtick to be honest, goes from not good enough for a league one season to being a middle of the lineup/ impact player the next. I really hope he doesn't get scooped and that we have a handshake agreement for an elc next season.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Neilsen might not work out but he is the type of player you can stay patient with. His tools are really good. Size, offense, amazing shot. If he works out, we could have a very good player.
I am willing to give him time because of the potential he has, if he can iron out a few things.

His skating needs more than ironing out, all we can do is wait and hope be patient.

Savvy

Sep 30, 2006
Mississauga
You know how I feel about Nielsen's skating issues Walshy, I don't think his feet are "fixable"

Interesting take. Can I ask why? It’s not like he’s mechanically sound. There is functional issues that he can change, not that it’s easy. Changing years of muscle memory never is.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Is Marchment's production even the slightest bit sustainable? He barely had 0.5 PPG last year in the ECHL, so this sort of jump is pretty eye popping. I've hardly seen him play so I don't actually know if he's been playing as well as his stat line would indicate. Putting up more than a point per game as a 6'4 22 year old in the AHL would be ridiculously impressive.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Is Marchment's production even the slightest bit sustainable? He barely had 0.5 PPG last year in the ECHL, so this sort of jump is pretty eye popping. I've hardly seen him play so I don't actually know if he's been playing as well as his stat line would indicate. Putting up more than a point per game as a 6'4 22 year old in the AHL would be ridiculously impressive.

Probably won't sustain it but he's been very impressive. I'd say this is a lot more of a hot streak than a normal thing.

Anyone know why Bracco is being kept on the shelf? He's appeared in 3 games or something?!?

He had mono for awhile during training camp. I think he's still feeling the ill effects of that mono.

Donkey Puck

Feb 15, 2013
His skating looked bad last year because his core strength was bad. Last year he barely played and the medical staff had him working out and resting rather than playing. This was all planned .Coach said that in an interview. Dzerkals is on the same routine this year

They are doing the same with a few other young guys this that aren't playing that much but need to get stronger.

Marchment had good hands from the get go and now he is moving at an acceptable pace

Leafs are going all in on the sports science.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Well right now he's coming off of a 7 point in 3 game week. I don't expect him to keep up PPG+ this year, but looking at his development since 17 going from "barely 0.5PPG in the ECHL" to AHL middle 6 or better is pretty much par for the course.

PromoterDave

Apr 22, 2016
Toronto
We own the best goalie in the AHL right now in Garret Sparks, I think he deserves a shot on the big club, especially with Andersen and McBackup struggling

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Interesting take. Can I ask why? It’s not like he’s mechanically sound. There is functional issues that he can change, not that it’s easy. Changing years of muscle memory never is.

Diceman can explain it better than me but it's to do with his fast twitch muscle fibres and that effects his foot speed, explosiveness, pivots, how high he picks his feet up, when he's skating, that's why he looks so clunky

When you watch Nielsen and get Diceman's explanation it's actually quite noticeable to see, Salt was involved in the discussion as well so he may be able to explain it better than I can

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Diceman can explain it better than me but it's to do with his fast twitch muscle fibres and that effects his foot speed, explosiveness, pivots, how high he picks his feet up, when he's skating, that's why he looks so clunky

When you watch Nielsen and get Diceman's explanation it's actually quite noticeable to see, Salt was involved in the discussion as well so he may be able to explain it better than I can
You did a great job explaining it. Dice is the expert though but even to the eye you can see he doesn't have it.
Just look at the way Dermott or Liljegren skate then look at Nielsen and that will show you the difference even if you don't know the technical side words like effortless and graceful will come up for one side and not the other.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Seems like his schtick to be honest, goes from not good enough for a league one season to being a middle of the lineup/ impact player the next. I really hope he doesn't get scooped and that we have a handshake agreement for an elc next season.
I find it a little bit annoying that the signing of Polak may end up meaning we lose a player like Marchment.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I find it a little bit annoying that the signing of Polak may end up meaning we lose a player like Marchment.

with polak we are at 49 contracts we can sign marchment to a ELC if we like, It will mean we cant take on an extra contract in trade or claim someone without trading someone first

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
with polak we are at 49 contracts we can sign marchment to a ELC if we like, It will mean we cant take on an extra contract in trade or claim someone without trading someone first
I'm aware but you dont want to be right up against the limit which is why a player like Marchment isnt signed. He can leave at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->