Poll: Would you support still Sens financially (buying tickets) if Karlsson leaves because Melnyk ?

Would you still support Sens if Karlsson leaves as direct result of Melnyk & his cheapness ?

• Yes

Votes: 50 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 64 56.1%

• Total voters

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This just makes me angrier every day. What owner goes on a chief rivals main radio station and puts his own fanbase on blast? He's just a ****ing dick. I think I'm pretty well done giving this guy any money regardless of what happens with Karlsson.
I have not heard the Melnyk interview do you have a link?

Pothier

Aug 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I've been an STH for 10 years now, and this season will be it for me while Melnyk has anything to do with the organization. The complete lack of service from the ticket reps and lack of STH perks is just icing on the cake.

It will be hard to stay away completely, I'll stick with the team through and through. But I'll be drastically reducing the amount of money I spend on tickets and merchandise on an annual basis.

Reactions: Flip_4

sexytime

Apr 17, 2009
Ottawa
I don't get people saying "I don't support Melnyk". Just because he wants to save $5 million a year for whatever financial reasoning he has, doesn't mean he's messing up the team... that is simply Management's fault. It's his business, he has every right to do what he wants with it.

Reactions: Back in Black

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I don't get people saying "I don't support Melnyk". Just because he wants to save $5 million a year for whatever financial reasoning he has, doesn't mean he's messing up the team... that is simply Management's fault. It's his business, he has every right to do what he wants with it.

How do not understand that customers on the other end of his business can choose to withhold their money for whatever reason they see fit, whether it be on ice performance or off ice behaviour ?

The beauty of capitalism is it's consensual exchanges.

This is no different than any other boycott. Customers do want your product but you've chosen to behave a certain way , and they won't buy your stuff until you change/stop it/leave.

You can challenge their reasons as unfounded or ill considered, but just because he can do what we wants with his business doesn't mean we have to keep giving him cash to do so.

Reactions: wickedsmaht

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

And we have every right to do what we want too, no? Owners love to play off the fans emotions and use the hometown cheerleader rah rah rah crap, the school spirit type stuff. It's becoming less and less of a method nowadays as people and fans are getting fed up with franchise sports owners. We're sick of paying for billion dollar stadiums that provide almost no economical benefit. Times are changin, very slowly, but they are changin.

Heck I would love to go on an absolute tirade on Melnyk because he seems like such a piece of shit, but I'll refrain. Between Bill O'Reilly and how he seemingly screwed Bert's employees out of paychecks, everything this guy touches eventually turns to dirt.

Reactions: wickedsmaht

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
How is Karlsson signing a 8 year 12 mil per deal in the town where his wife is from not what's "best for his family " ?

The only X factor here is his own wishes for his professional career and how he views the organization.

His mentor is Alfredsson for crying out loud, so you can bet the Sens org is not taking this swedish captain for a ride. He will get what he deserves.

The family argument is home run lock Ottawa. Don't have to move, take wife and baby far away from in-laws. Done.

That's pure speculation. What if his wife's dream is to live on the beach in Florida or California? Geography also doesn't matter to people making $12m a year, they can charter a Challenger and be anywhere in the continent in 6 hours.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That's pure speculation. What if his wife's dream is to live on the beach in Florida or California? Geography also doesn't matter to people making $12m a year, they can charter a Challenger and be anywhere in the continent in 6 hours.

It's actually not just speculation.

I mean, you can claim that he's lying, but he has gone on record that he wants to be in Ottawa.

Sure, he's saying all the right things here, but I suppose he could have said nothing at all.

This is the place I want to win with. I want to win in Ottawa. That’s where I’ll always be. It’s going to be my home, no matter where I end up playing when I get older, if that ever happens. So that’s the thing: I want to be where home is. I’m comfortable at home, I like it at home and Ottawa is home. Not only the organization, but the community and all my friends as well. That’s something that’s very important to me. Then, all the other stuff, they will just follow.

I’m happy where I’m at, I want to stay in Ottawa and hopefully they want to keep me here.

Senators' Erik Karlsson: I want to win in Ottawa - Sportsnet.ca

I would infer that, all things being equal, he would sign here if he was paid fair market value.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
It's actually not just speculation.

I mean, you can claim that he's lying, but he has gone on record that he wants to be in Ottawa.

Sure, he's saying all the right things here, but I suppose he could have said nothing at all.

Senators' Erik Karlsson: I want to win in Ottawa - Sportsnet.ca

I would infer that, all things being equal, he would sign here if he was paid fair market value.

Come on Nyq, you know better...these guys will say whatever it takes to get them off the hot seat, even if it means being disingenuous

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Come on Nyq, you know better...these guys will say whatever it takes to get them off the hot seat, even if it means being disingenuous

Sure, but you can't play it both ways.

You can't assume he wants to leave when he's said otherwise.

"I want proof!"

"Here's some proof."

"Yeah, well, that's not good enough."

Meanwhile, where's the proof that he's absolutely positively going to leave?

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Sure, but you can't play it both ways.

You can't assume he wants to leave when he's said otherwise.

"I want proof!"

"Here's some proof."

"Yeah, well, that's not good enough."

Meanwhile, where's the proof that he's absolutely positively going to leave?

Point taken. I guess we will see going forward. I really think it is going to be a Karlsson v. Dorion/Melnyk, could get messy.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Point taken. I guess we will see going forward. I really think it is going to be a Karlsson v. Dorion/Melnyk, could get messy.

I think they have to sign him this summer or he walks or is traded.

If he has a poor season, it might actually be to Ottawa's benefit.

We are lucky in that he does have roots here, we drafted him, and he's the Captain.

We're unlucky in that we have a tire fire raging in our organization.

Reactions: branch

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I made it through Alfie and Spezza leaving I'd survive this too. I'd still watch and go to the odd game but I definitely wouldn't have nearly as much enthusiasm. If they decide to go full rebuild I'd probably watch when I have time but I wouldn't move my schedule around to watch games like I do now.

Flip_4

Mar 22, 2006
Ottawa
I've had season tickets since 1999. This year will unfortunately be my last as a full season seat holder. I'll be going down to a 10 game pack next year.

The reasons aren't related to Melnyk spending or not spending on the players...or the on ice product itself. I love my team and always will.

This year I was forced to move because I couldn't afford the cost of the tickets anymore. They keep raising the prices and are pricing a lot of fans out. My new seats are unfortunately not good for me. When they go over center ice and beyond...I can't see the numbers on the jerseys anymore. I also can't really see the scoreboard well any more...maybe because of the angle now. There are no season ticket holders where i am and I have to sit alone because my friends either cancelled or didn't move.

It's just not worth it for me to drive from Orleans to the game for an experience i just don't enjoy anymore.

That and I really don't feel like they appreciate the season seat holders in the 300 level anymore. We don't matter. They don't care if I renew or cancel.

I will keep supporting them...and am still a huge Sens fan. I'm just becoming more "choosie" about how and the amount of $$ I'm willing to spend.

Been a fan since the day it was announced Ottawa won their bid for a team. That won't change. My priorities and the disposable income has. It will be extremely hard to not go to 40 games a year though.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Nyquil telling it like it is;

photo(5).JPG

Reactions: NyQuil

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I made it through Alfie and Spezza leaving I'd survive this too. I'd still watch and go to the odd game but I definitely wouldn't have nearly as much enthusiasm. If they decide to go full rebuild I'd probably watch when I have time but I wouldn't move my schedule around to watch games like I do now.
Alfie left when he was 40 and Spezza was building up for years. Neither player was ever on the level of Karl either.

This would be way more catostrophic.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
If EK walks because of Eugene, how would we have proof of this?

Also, I would still be a Sens fan and support the team, but I would be one very depressed Sens fan.

I'm pretty sure that EK is the best player I will ever see play for the Senators, and I'm 35 years old. Guys like him don't come around all that often.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
If Karlsson leaves or is traded, what are the odds that Melnyk publishes a Dan Gilbert style letter in Comic Sans? 90-95%?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If Karlsson leaves or is traded, what are the odds that Melnyk publishes a Dan Gilbert style letter in Comic Sans? 90-95%?

97 percent. Guest piece in the Player's Tribune.

When Melnyk looks in the mirror, he probably sees a rebel, a Walter White type. I'm surprised he hasn't started wearing a cowboy hat and a badass duster while running errands in the CTC. He'll want the world to know that he won, and Karlsson lost.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I've had season tickets since 1999. This year will unfortunately be my last as a full season seat holder. I'll be going down to a 10 game pack next year.

The reasons aren't related to Melnyk spending or not spending on the players...or the on ice product itself. I love my team and always will.

This year I was forced to move because I couldn't afford the cost of the tickets anymore. They keep raising the prices and are pricing a lot of fans out. My new seats are unfortunately not good for me. When they go over center ice and beyond...I can't see the numbers on the jerseys anymore. I also can't really see the scoreboard well any more...maybe because of the angle now. There are no season ticket holders where i am and I have to sit alone because my friends either cancelled or didn't move.

It's just not worth it for me to drive from Orleans to the game for an experience i just don't enjoy anymore.

That and I really don't feel like they appreciate the season seat holders in the 300 level anymore. We don't matter. They don't care if I renew or cancel.

I will keep supporting them...and am still a huge Sens fan. I'm just becoming more "choosie" about how and the amount of $$ I'm willing to spend.

Been a fan since the day it was announced Ottawa won their bid for a team. That won't change. My priorities and the disposable income has. It will be extremely hard to not go to 40 games a year though.

Tough to read and although I haven't been a STH as long I feel some of this for sure, I would say this, that I cannot see them raising the prices this off season as im guessing there will be a load of STH's calling it quits if the current trend continues, ive put my rep on notice if they try to raise im out because there really isn't much current value to being a STH other than priority access to things....maybe im in dreamland but I have visions of a new owner eventually coming in and rewarding those who chose to stick with the team through the absolute roughest of times here.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I saw what happened when Winnipeg lost their team so I'm going to have to continue buying my ticket packages to try and avoid that from happening.

I don't like what Melnyk has been doing but the alternative is worse IMO.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Not sure where else to put this question, since the ownership thread is closed.

I am a bit curious. The TSN talking heads, Dreger, Bobby Mac, both discussed on radio stations across the country as well as in their TSN hockey coverage that the Ottawa Senators were/were not for sale. All of these "Sens for sale" discussions happened prior to the Board of Governors meetings where Eugene Melnyk was most likely in attendance. Also in attendance, covering these meetings, were TSN hockey guys, most likely Dreger. Why wouldn't Dreger or anyone from TSN try to get a quote from Melnyk regarding this? I know that we obviously wouldn't get any new information, but something is fishy. TSN sends reporters to Leafs practice to ask Auston Matthews what he had for breakfast, yet a legitimate story about the impending sale of one of its Canadian teams, doesn't need a sound bite from the potential seller??

Maybe I am wrong and the Euge wasn't even there, but shouldn't he have been there?

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I saw what happened when Winnipeg lost their team so I'm going to have to continue buying my ticket packages to try and avoid that from happening.

I don't like what Melnyk has been doing but the alternative is worse IMO.
Relocation is pretty much the last resort in the NHL. The NHL will most likely intervene if he ever plans to relocate the team or sell it to another city.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad