Poll: Would you support still Sens financially (buying tickets) if Karlsson leaves because Melnyk ?

Would you still support Sens if Karlsson leaves as direct result of Melnyk & his cheapness ?

• Yes

Votes: 50 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 64 56.1%

• Total voters

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I don't support Melnyk at all, I despise the loudmouth. If Karlsson leaves because of him I will not renew my season tickets and I will be sparse with my money. I will support the team by buying jerseys, donating to Roger's House and other methods. This is the best player in team history Eugene. Get over yourself and pay him.

Nosswor

Jun 24, 2016
Would I become increasingly disillusioned and disinterested? Yes.
Would I not give the team another cent of my money? Yes
Would I support another team? No

Reactions: Karl Prime

J0sh

Jul 12, 2015
I'll never forgive the sens if they trade away or let a top 3 player in the league walk away.

I hate the current panic levels... We are still the same team that made it to overtime of game 7 against the Stanley cup champions and I don't think missing the playoffs is reason to panic for several reasons.

-the players had a really short summer last year. Let's give them a chance to come back hard next year.

-karlson is struggling to come back after a huge injury but he will be better

-chabot and harpur will only get better (so that's half of our top 6 defensemen... see a pattern? We need to be patient)

-We'll have much more competition for roster spots next year at training camp (bye bye oduya/burrows)

Most teams that go deep in the playoffs struggle the following year but we can and will bounce back.

Oh and I wouldn't mind dahlin ;)

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
It would be disappointing but it's my home team.

Pretty much this

If we say he's top 3 best in the league
That means theres only 2 other teams that has that kind of player (probably Pitt and EDM)
Really really rare
But...
Hes not perfect
His defensive game is not perfect

If we could get lets say Subban ,Bonino and a 1st and let say Turris for him and Hoffman or Duchene (hypothetically)
Just for sake of the argument I don't know all the variables its just an example

The team could be fun to watch again

Of course we would miss the best Sens player ever

But Melnyk is the owner not me

And Karlsson can pretty much decide where he wants to play

Not much choice

I think its inevitable

The best D in the league doesn't go from carrying the team on his back for 3 months with a broken foot to 1 assist in 11 games and a -16 in 23 games because he's adapting to his new ankle and lost a friend come on

I may be wrong but Imo he's done here as sad as it sound

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I won't support financially if karlsson is gone

I'll watch games but if we walks cuz melnyk was being a cheap mofo then my dollars walk too especially since we have lost our other franchise player due to this same bull

All the people pointing at the cap hit need to realize we aren't actually spending that much and if we can spend this much then why are we pissing that money away

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
All my favorite players on this team have broken my heart or left one way or another: not keeping Chara over Redden, signing and trading Hossa, Alfie leaving for Detroit, Ziba traded for not much, Da Costa left to go to Russia, etc. and I'm still here caring. Don't think Karlsson leaving will change that either.

We still manage to have some good seasons, some miraculously so, and so it's never dull at least.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Are you still a Sens fan if Karlsson leaves because of Melnyk & his cheapness or would that be your breaking point ?

let me clarify my question: ****Would you still support this team Financially (ie: still buying Season tickets/ tickets to games) ...if Karlsson left because of Melnyk & his cheapness...or would that be your breaking point to stop buying tickets to games & maybe watch from TV instead.

how would you establish Melnyk's cheapness? someone here on hfsens declares he's cheap and then it's a pile on to come up with newer more clever ways of calling him cheap?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Are you still a Sens fan if Karlsson leaves because of Melnyk & his cheapness or would that be your breaking point ?

let me clarify my question: ****Would you still support this team Financially (ie: still buying Season tickets/ tickets to games) ...if Karlsson left because of Melnyk & his cheapness...or would that be your breaking point to stop buying tickets to games & maybe watch from TV instead.

Please define, and give examples of Melnyks' "Cheapness"....

There are only five NHL teams with less cap space than the Senators, would you have Melnyk demand that Dorion use up the remaining $9,267,500 in Cap space, before he is no longer "Cheap" by your definition?

Perhaps he should revise his plans for Lebreton Flats, and decide to build two new arena's instead of just one?

Reactions: sensfan44

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Absolutely
sports-fan-bad-head.jpg

Reactions: BuckyDornster

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

There are only five NHL teams with less cap space than the Senators, would you have Melnyk demand that Dorion use up the remaining $9,267,500 in Cap space, before he is no longer "Cheap" by your definition?
Cap space <> payroll. Think MacArthur on IR. Think Phaneuf's salary compared to his cap hit.

Examples of cheapness: the analytics department (or lack thereof), the scouting (anybody scouting Russian players these days?).

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016

Perhaps he should revise his plans for Lebreton Flats, and decide to build two new arena's instead of just one?

Examples of Melnyks cheapness:
- Not paying Alfie and letting a Franchise player walk.
-Throwing in a extra pick for Edmonton to retain salary in Hemsky deal
-Throwing in a 2nd round pick in Zubanejad deal to make finances work and save 2 Million bonus.
- Publicly admitting he wouldn't want to pay Claude Julien type coach 3-4 Million yr... saying "can he walk on water"
- Bare Bones Hockey Ops department...the smallest in the league...and getting smaller. Replacing roles from internal hires and not replacing old roles ...leaving them vacant instead.
- Bare Bones analytics program
-Salary cap is actually below 70 Million...as Macs contract is paid by insurance co not Melnyk as he's on LTIR
- We don't scout Russia at all because of Melnyks lack of investments into his scouting staff.

Anytime your team has to give up draft picks in trades in order to make finances work... that means your owners cheap.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014

Spending is done in salary, not cap hit. Sens are bottom 5 in salary expenditure when factoring for MacArthur's contract being insured. Melnyk is cheap.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
No, Karlsson's the type of guy you keep around, no questions asked. We let him go and I'll be moving on. I've supported the team since 2003 and few things would cause me to cheer for another team: Letting Karlsson go is 1 of those things.

Reactions: BuckyDornster

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
As an Expos fan, I read this book before. If we start losing quality players due to owner cheapness then I would probably become increasingly detached. I'd still maybe go to the occasional game, it wouldn't be an absolute boycott, but I certainly wouldn't be investing a large amount of my disposable income on them.

I'd need hard examples though. So far, the Sens have resigned their free agents and they are not that far off from the cap, so I'm not doing it just on the basis of reputation (even though it appears the team might be suffering from lack of spending on scouting, analytics etc.).

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
In October I was planning on getting tickets to a game in December/January. Now I feel like saving my money and go to two games next season instead. But with all this uncertainty swirling, I'm afraid that next season we won't have Karlsson and I want to see him live at least one more time if the possibility even exists that he won't be here come October '18.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Either you're a fan of the team or you're not. If your answer to this poll is no, you may as well just go pick a new team now rather than hang around and complain.

I've had full season tickets since the Sens joined the league, and if karlsson left due to Melnyk I would not spend another penny on tickets until the team is sold to a new owner.

but I guesss I'm not a fan of the team...

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
If Karlsson were gone, we'd be watching Chabot and whatever other assets we acquired. It'll still be OK.
Until they hit their prime and Melnyk decides he can't afford to pay them what they're worth.

If we lose Karlsson because of Melnyk, I am absolutely not putting any money in Melnyk's pockets until he is out as an owner. Because he will have made it abundantly clear that he doesn't have the resources to make this team an actual contender.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
The thing is, it might not even be a money issue. Friedgman and Kypreos and so on said something along the lines that Melnyk was "upset" that 65 was so forthright and might want to trade him, iirc. I mean...WTF? That's just lunacy. It's your job as owner to manage your cap and make room for your best guys. Erik gave you a full year's notice, or more, to do this. Now get to it and stop acting like a drama llama.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
The thing is, it might not even be a money issue. Friedgman and Kypreos and so on said something along the lines that Melnyk was "upset" that 65 was so forthright and might want to trade him, iirc. I mean...WTF? That's just lunacy. It's your job as owner to manage your cap and make room for your best guys. Erik gave you a full year's notice, or more, to do this. Now get to it and stop acting like a drama llama.

Good point. I'd rather Erik come out and saying he wants full market value in November than do it in March at the end of a bad season. He's basically saying that he'd like to stay here if it can be done, so the team needs to get their ducks in a line and make it happen.

He's had a horrid last month, everyone gets that. He's not going to get to the level of 2nd half 14-15 to 16-17 without a full season of training. I get the concern about his long-term health with the ankle injury, but there's a good chance if you trade him in the summer, he comes back with his new team and lights it up. And no player the Sens would get in return can replicate the impact January 15-June 17 Karlsson has had.

sexytime

Apr 17, 2009
Ottawa
I use to love Karlsson, but the guy is way in over his head now and I can't stand his personality. I see him on an overall decline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad